“Heavenly Country House”
Review of Ellenborough Park

Ellenborough Park
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Beautiful hotel, stayed here overnight in October. Cannot fault a thing...beautiful room, excusite restaurant and wonderful breakfast. Not cheap but very good value for money.We also had a spa treatment which was good. Had a room in the main house wtih a lot of character. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms in old main house have lots of character
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,388)

Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed for one night as we were attending a wedding at the hotel, we stayed in room 41, from the time we arrived to the time we left we were made to feel welcome. The hotel room had everything we needed, the only comment I could make is that if you wanted to watch TV in bed for a period of time you may find this awkward due to the positioning of the TV. It was as you would expect spotless and in very good decorative order.
We had a very good nights sleep and the bed and pillows were some of the most comfortable I have slept in. Breakfast was very good. The staff here are attentive without being intrusive.
This would be lovely for a quite weekend to relax and just re-charge the batteries.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jaganagee
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night for our anniversary, from the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty, everyone was so welcoming (in a warm way not in a pretentious its my job way) and check in worked like clockwork, we were even accompanied by the check in staff to our room not even handed over to someone else to do, enroute getting a tour fo the grounds and hotel. The spa is small but perfectly formed, the rooms just stunning (we only booked a standard but were given a luxury room), the bed the most comfortable ive ever slept in. We could not get a reservation in the dinning room as we booked last minute and it was already full so we ate in the brasserie, the food was nothing like we expected we just though posh bar food but no it was im sure as good as the main dining room. I was very pleasantly supprised by the price of drinks they cost was very unhotel like and extreamley reasonable. Since our stay back in July i still think of it at least once a day and want to go back so so much, I wouldnt consider staying anywhere else in the area at all.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2011

As soon as I drove up to this place my jaw dropped. It is beautiful, lit up at night to show its yellow brick design. I loved the history and the grounds. The great hall was so relaxing to have tea in, and the tea was the most delicious I have ever tasted in my life.

Our room was also upgraded for free, and they didn't call attention to it, so it was a creditless act for them to do that. We stayed in room 55, which was huge and well appointed, in the renovated section where the carriage houses were. The bathroom itself (complete with clawfoot tub) was as big as my studio in New York!

Our baby stayed with us and we put his pack n play in the closet because it fit, and it gave us some more privacy. EP even put an LED flameless candle in the bathroom and we put it with the baby as a nightlight.

I did have a quick massage at the spa too, and it is small. It's weird sitting across from men with their hairy legs sticking out of their robes a foot away from your chaise. I opted to go home instead of sit in the relaxing room.

We ate at the bistro restaurant for dinner and we felt more comfortable there with the baby. Other reviewers are correct that the Beaufort dining room was really stuffy and quiet, so breakfast there was a little stressful for us because baby was in the shrieking phase.

All in all we managed very well here with the baby. The service was great (everyone in reception has to stand when a guest walks in, which was a little master/servant to me but it might float some people's boats) and the food was good too. We too had the burgers and they're good, as other reviewers have mentioned. The only thing was it was a little dark walking around, I guess to preserve atmosphere, but they did provide a flashlight in the room to combat that.

It is a very well considered place, and I will remember it always. It was an experience more than a stay. You can't say that about many hotels.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2011

First impressions are of a stunning building as you approach. The service was noticeably top class throughout.

Only negatives would be a slightly disjointed layout, and a bit of a disappointing massage at the spa. Also the restaurant atmosphere was a bit staid for our liking, but this is just our personal preference.

That being said the main drawing room is a lovely place to enjoy afternoon tea, and the hotel was well placed to enjoy a dinner in Cheltenham and walks in the surrounding area. The concierge recommended a walk with maps that we enjoyed. All in all a nice place for a short break!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I stayed at ths hotel as an alternative to hotels in Cheltenham town centre

On balance - it is clear that a lot of money has been spent on the hotel and it is a beautiful property. However, in my opinion it needs time to settle in and at the moment - could not compare to the best hotels in the country.

Pros -

A beautiful property with an amazing outlook

The bedroom was really well appointed - bed really comfortable - and I loved the complimnetary water in the mini bar

Staff are extremely friendly and accomodating

Amazing great hall - beautifully decorated with an amazing fireplace

Restaurant is reasonably priced

The proximity to Cheltenham racecourse is fab

The spa staff were great - I had a massage by a young lady called Harriett - it was one of the best I've ever had

Cons

The layout of the hotel is very odd and too many things are simply not thought through - namely

- the spa area is tiny - any more than five people and its full

- the pool is not accessible from anywhere in particuar; swimming in winter is a challenge because its 50 yards walk from the spa and also surrounded by rooms.

- the bar is odd - no atmosphere with unusual tables to stand at with a few dining tables which is the brasserie. I could not sit there and enjoy a drink - piped christmas music with a giant tv - reminded me of a chain pub in a high street

- If the hotel was full - I have no idea where everyone would sit/ have a drink because the public areas and bar is simply not big enough to accomodate 62 rooms

The food in the restaurant is just OK - definitely not memorable. There are far better restaurants in Cheltenham

I could not get a seat in the great hall for tea - all tables reserved for non residents - a bit irritating at best

All in all, the hotel is clearly a fantasitc place to stay for the races given its location.

I got a brilliant rate online - however, if I'd paid rack rate as per hotel website - I'm not sure it represents value for money.

Finally, I got a nasty surprise on checking out whereby a dinner and drink had been incorectly put on my room. I note another reviewer had the same problem - this is a bit clumsy. The receptionist was keen to check the bills and once we'd gone through the pain of looking at signatures etc (which was a tad embarrassing) - the bill was corrected. To be fair she was extremly apologetic. I simply don't understand how this could have happened.

I would stay here if I was going for Cheltenham week - but would prefer to stay in the town for business

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank areviewer
Reviewed December 19, 2011

This is one of the best hotels I've stayed in in the UK.

Our room was great with everything you could hope for including a roll top bath, and a separate shower room, twin his and hers sinks, safe, tea/coffee facilities, Sky, aircon, bath robes, slippers, bottled water etc. It was also incredibly quiet, comfortable and generously proportioned.

Breakfast was superb with good quality sausage and bacon, items which lesser hotels often save money on.

The hotel surroundings are peaceful and elegant and provide a private route to the racecourse.

We borrowed some of the hotels boots to go for a short walk through some of the surrounding fields which were quite muddy at this time of year. The boots were knee high leather ones rather than wellies and had clearly been cleaned and looked after. An excellent facility.

The staff were always helpful and interested and not obviously angling for tips. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#6 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!