“Forgotten Gem”
Review of MASALA BITES - CLOSED

MASALA BITES
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Only opened on 1st November 2010
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Popped in here for a quick bite to eat before going to see the stereophonics at Cheltenham racecourse last week ..so we were in a bit of a rush ...there was a large group in already ..unusual for an early Thursday night , however the the service and the food was spot on . We love the Talis they do , which are rare in Indians these days , you don't seem to get very large portions in it but all the dishes soon fill you up !! The sauces were hot as we like them and as described I had the Goan prawn which had huge fresh prawn and a really tasty rich sauce . £ 12 for a tail seems a lot but don't be fooled you GET a lot , we will be back !!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

After a day at the races & not knowing Cheltenham, we found this restaurant on one of the busiest day of Cheltenham races, after the races the town was extremely busy, when we arrived it was packed with people waiting for tables but the staff provided excellent courteous service, we waited for a table on the seats provided, and even with the extreme pressure they were under to feed & get drinks to seated people, they still offered us drinks while we were waiting, and even apologised they could not take our order before we had a table.

They found us a table as soon as possible and the service we received was fantastic, the starters arrived without a long wait & our main dish arrived fairly promptly after the starter was finished, which shows even under the busy times they still can look after the customers very well.

The food was lovely & talking to 2 different local couples the said they were regular customers.

We thank the management and staff for lovely service and superb food and will definitely return on our next visit to Cheltenham

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Went to this place yesterday from the racing. 7 of us in total.

I will say that the interior is decorated very very nice and the service was very good.

Unfortunately, the food was appalling. I had a chicken pakora starter and when it came I was dumbstruck. 3 pieces of pakora and some salad that looked like it had been pulled up from the roadside.

When I bit into the pakora, it was just a stodgey doughy like batter and when I finally found the chcken it was just slightly bigger than a malteser.

A friend had a mixed kebab. If you are going to serve them portions, I would strongly advise using a smaller plate.

Onto the mains, we ordered 3 portions of chips. These were all brought on one plate. The plate was swimming in grease. The curry portions were minute and the rice hadnt been drained properly so was in water.

When we left we all said the same, worse Indian we had ever had. Maybe its the "Cheltenham Menu" that they serve when the races are on so they can make as much as they can but it was very poor.

3  Thank Isiris1
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I go to Masala Bites often with my partner. The food is always excellent and indescribably fresh- you'd have to taste it to see what I mean. Very fair price and great atmosphere, warm lighting but not overbearing and very clean. Always bring visiting friends and relatives here. They had real roses on the tables on Valentines day, unlike the paper ones you get elsewhere.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Went to Masala Bites for a takeaway.Ordered a Chicken Jalfrezi with extra green chillies.Result was food looked really fresh with herbs and spices i could see through the container.The quantity was more than other places too.The price s was also excellent so i ordered a side dish as well.
Conclusion is I will return for sure. I loved the freshness of this food and I always appreciate it when I asked for more chillies and get them!!!!
For the visitor to the restaurant i can only say while I waited for my takeaway others eating in were happy enough and pleasant folk.