“Afternoon Tea for Two.”

Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We went to the Queens Hotel today to have "Afternoon Tea For Two" for the second time and again found it so enjoyable. The food was brilliant and the whole time was overlooked by Alex who made sure we thoroughly enjoyed it. He told us all about the pastries, the fillings and the source which added a lot to the experience. He was so polite and helpful, in fact, the ideal person for this particular position. I hope the Hotel realizes what an asset they have in him. Overall, an experience that we shall enjoy again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and Alex will be delighted to hear that his efforts are appreciated and that you had an enjoyable afternoon tea. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Peter Watt

Reviewed August 2, 2013

If you want a special treat, visit the Queens Hotel in Cheltenham for Afternoon Tea. It is truly a wonderful experience with not only delicious food but also with superb attentive service.
The beautiful Regency dining room complete with crisp white tablecloths and napkins set the scene perfectly.
We were shown to our table by Alex who then served our afternoon tea comprising of a selection of savoury bites which included smoked salmon and dill cream cheese sandwiches and smoked haddock tartlets. The sweet delights were amazing. They are too numerous to list but suffice it to say the Jewel in the (Queen's) Crown was the home made chocolate Jaffa Cake.
What made the experience so special was the attentive service. Alex, our waiter explained each item of the menu perfectly and with a passion of someone who takes a pride in their job.
We would return time and time again if we did not reside so far away but our advice is to simply try it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank restaurant_examiner
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed afternoon tea at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I will pass on your comments to Alex who I know will be delighted to know his efforts were appreciated. We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Peter Watt

Reviewed July 27, 2013

The hotel occupies the prime location at the top of The Promenade, and is a wonderful base from which to explore the town and the adjacent area of Montpellier.

This was undoubtedly the premier hotel in Cheltenham during its heyday, and one could make a good argument for claiming that it is still one of the finest places to stay when visiting Cheltenham, and whilst it is still a fine choice, it would probably benefit from some investment.

The hotel has considerable charm and elegance, as typified by its bar and restaurant area, and the rooms are spacious and well presented.

All in all, a great place to stay, and I would certainly recommend it, but I suspect that it may have been better still in its heyday.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham.

The hotel is due for refurbishment including all public areas and bedrooms and I expect the programme date to commence in the next year.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Have just returned from the Queen's after having afternoon tea there (using Living Social coupon) . Superb, the meal itself was extremely good. One moan was that were not given the glass of prosecco as was promised when I bought the deal, did not realise we should have had one until I checked my account on line when I came home. The young man that served us was friendly and apologised several times for the wait and they had had a busy few hours. All in all a happy time, still a pity about the wine, think the hotel should have offered it as they knew it was in the deal.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable afternoon tea. We accept various afternoon tea promotions and not all of them include a glass prosecco, I am very sorry this was not offered and apologise that we assume that the guests inform us.

I do hope we can look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

My colleagues and I regularly visit the Queen's Hotel for our fortnightly business breakfast. With the exception of one tiny hiccup in six months, I can report that the quality of service and food, the value and the ambience are something to look forward to. Special praise goes to lovely Mirta who looks after us almost every week and is a wonderful ambassador(ess) for the hotel and her native Argentina. It's always a pleasure.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Alwrites
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very kind words regarding your breakfast meetings held here at The Mercure Queen's Hotel, they are very much appreciated. I will pass on your compliments to Mirta who I know will be delighted to hear that her efforts are appreciated.

Kind Regrds, Peter Watt

Reviewed July 23, 2013

A fantastic hotel in a spectacular position. The best part of this hotel is undoubtedly the restaurant. A beautiful dinner on the first evening was followed by a great breakfast buffet. Special mention for Alex and Dan for their courteous and friendly service and manner. Overall, a great stay. Only gripe was a very tired and uncomfortable bed. No support at all resulting in 2 sleepless nigh4s for my wife and I. But didn't detract from all this hotel has to offer. Highlr recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham, and that you were pleased with dinner and breakfast. I will pass on your kind comments to Alex and Dan and we all look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Peter Watt

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Myself and friends went for afternoon tea in June.
After reading the reviews on here was a bit sceptical but they were unfounded.
Our waiter for the day was a pleasure even though he was extremely busy with other guests and functions elsewhere in the hotel.
He made me and my guests extremely welcome, took time to explain the new menu and the concept after recently hiring a new pastry chef.
They were also very accommodating to a member of the party dietary requirements, nothing was a problem. The savoury and sweet courses were divine !!! Especially their own take on a Jaffa cake, but my favourite was the homemade lemon curd. This is not to be missed. Savouries and tea were unlimited are constantly replenished.
The whole atmosphere and experience was an enjoyable one and would highly recommend to family and friends.
What also made it a joy was other parties who saw our afternoon tea and joined in.
Food and the service was 5 star and next time we are Cheltenham we will most definitely be dropping in. Well worth a trip !!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that their efforts are appreciated and that you had an enjoyable afternoon tea.

I look forward to welcoming you back again.