“2nd Trip to this lovely Hotel”

Queens Hotel Cheltenham - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We have just returned from our second trip to the Queens and it was very enjoyable.The first room we were allocated I did reject as not being a superior room and there was scaffolding outside which meant builders would be at work from 8 in the morning, but the staff were very good and gave us another room 108 which we were very happy with, except for the cold. The heating had been switched off despite the cold weather but when I complained the room was cold we were given a heater and luckily after our first cold visit I had packed a lot of warm clothes and hot water bottle The rest of the hotel was warm.The staff were excellent all round, we ate in the bar both evenings and the food and service were excellent We were not disappointed with anything on our second visit. I just have one comment, the toilet paper is awful, thin and nasty. Its only a little thing but when everything else is so good it lets it down. Please consider using something better. I appreciate the green policy but please draw the line when supplying toilet paper ! My thanks to all the staff who made our visit comfortable and enjoyable and always with a smile.

Room Tip: 108 and the Queen Victoria room are very nice classed as superior rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent return visit to the Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and was very pleased to read that the staff made your visit enjoyable. We have noted your comments regarding the toilet paper which I will highlight to head office.

look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Peter Watt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,330)

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights on 10th and 11th May. Our room for the first night was a bit disappointing as it was quite small. It overlooked the front of the hotel which unfortunately as we found out that evening, due to its position and the lack of double glazing, we heard every vehicle that went past and peoples voices could be heard clearly. At 4am we turned the air conditioning on to try and mask the traffic noise which it did a bit but not enough and so we didn't have much sleep, having said that the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was small and looked as if it could do with an upgrade. The following morning we asked at reception if we could move rooms to one at the back of the hotel as we couldn't face another sleepless night. The receptionist was most apologetic and arranged for us to move to another room and indeed when we got back after lunch our belongings had been moved to a different room at the back of the hotel. This room was much larger, it looked a bit tired in places, mis matched lamp shades, tv remote falling apart and the bathroom could do with modernising, the pressure of the shower water was not much more than a trickle, but the bed was very comfortable and even though there was no view, more importantly it was very quiet! The breakfast was relaxed and unhurried with plenty of choice and the staff friendly and efficient. We found the drinks in the bar quite expensive, for example a 175ml glass of white wine costing over £7. The location of the hotel is really good and it is a lovely old building but it does need refurbishing in certain areas. The guest toilets on the ground floor had a very strong unpleasant drainage smell. I would stay here again but only next time in a refurbished room at the back of the hotel. On a positive note the staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble and they were friendly, polite and efficient.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel. You may not get such a good view but at least you will get...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham. I will pass on your kind remarks to the staff who I know will be delighted to hear that their efforts are appreciated.

I am aware that the hotel is looking tired, however I am pleased to say the hotel is due for refurbishment including public areas and bedrooms and I expect the programme date to commence soon.
Kind Regards
Peter Watt

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed here weekend of 10 May 2013, for my birthday and paid for an executive room. We arrived at the hotel and we got the "Queen Victoria Suite". This is a premium room, and the size was very good however there was a stain on the carpet, stains on the sofa, marks of lipstick on the window where someone has kissed them, crumpled leaflets on the side, the door to wardrobe didn't shut, the bathroom door was cracked at the bottom and the blind in the bathroom was covered in dust, they hoover around objects as when we used the trouser press the dust surrounding it was ridiculous. This is basic cleaning lacking here. After looking over these faults the bed was very comfortable, however the maids/cleaners obviously do not know who is staying where as one casually walked In at 9am and then again at 11am, not really what a paying customer expects even to knock it may have not been so bad.
We have stayed in the Mercure in Bristol not so long back hence why we stayed in Cheltenham thinking it would be similar, I would return to Bristol every time over this and stay in their basic room, they were friendly, helpful and also had cleaners which didn't interrupt your sleep.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank kimberley-mae
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Guest

I am really sorry to hear that your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham wasn’t up to expectations. The standard of service you received is not indicative of our usual high performance. Please rest assured that I have taken your comments very seriously and have ensured that the necessary action has been taken with the Housekeeping Manager in order to prevent any re-occurrence of the issues you faced, as it is not acceptable to have such lapses in the service we provide.
I hope most sincerely that despite this setback, you will feel able to continue to visit us in the future. Please contact me personally should you wish to return and I would be delighted to offer you favourable terms
Kind Regards
Peter Watt

Reviewed May 11, 2013

This review does not relate to the Hotel as such, more to it as a venue for events. So, only read on if you are thinking of holding one there or dining there. My advice, Don't!
I Chair a group which has held regular quarterly dinners at this Hotel for some time now and I have been to the last 5 of these events, I've never had a good meal, but last night's was truly awful. Insipid luke warm soup (in May?) followed by lamb which required a hacksaw to cut and a rhubarb crumble was not value for money. Wine prices are outrageously high, the only thing going for this place is it's location and it is certainly trading on that. Faded glory is an understatement!
My group will be looking for an alternative venue in Cheltenham for the future, if anyone can suggest somewhere then please let me know

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am really sorry to hear that your meal at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham wasn’t up to expectations.

I would very much like to discuss the matter with you in person and would appreciate it if you would call me on 01242 514754 or email on h6632-fb@accor.com

Kind regards,
Jonathan Rudd
Food & Beverage Manager

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here last year and was a little bit disappointed with the room but really liked the location. This year I booked an upgraded room. At check-in I requested a quiet room as I had a lengthy drive the next day. I was allocated a room which had single glazing and faced on to the main road. Every car, bus and truck could be heard clearly and prevented any possibility of a good night's sleep. Additionally, the building shook every time an HGV passed. So my advice would be not to stay here if you want a good night's sleep!

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Peter W, General Manager at Queens Hotel Cheltenham - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham.

As we are a town centre hotel we do experience some traffic noise in the front facing rooms and due to the age of the building are not permitted double glazing.

I do hope this will not deter you from visiting the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Spent two nights here last week and very much enjoyed the stay. The room (211) is perfectly adequate although due for a refurbishment as part of their rolling renovation programme. The breakfast was a highlight - loads of choice and unhurried relaxed atmosphere.

This is a historic building with listed features including original 175 year old Pugin designed wallpaper that looks amazing given it's age.

Here you can mix with the stars of the Jazz festival and are only a 3 minute walk from the main venue.

Yes you may find more modern better appointed hotels, but this has class and very polite obliging staff. I will be back and recommend this hotel, but if you want a quiet backwater hotel this is probably not for you as this hotel is very popular with party goers and hosts many weddings and parties at weekends.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room if available and a quiet one at back if travelling at weekend and worried...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have just spent two nights at this hotel whilst visiting the Cheltenham Jazz Festival. The location is ideal for the Festivals, the gardens and the shops and restaurants. The staff were very pleasant and the cleanliness and service were excellent. The rooms are well appointed.

Breakfast is very good.. except the staff never seem in a hurry to clear tables once they have been vacated. That is my only moan. It was a very busy weekend with functions on in various rooms but they did not spoil our stay.We have stayed at this hotel before and found it to be much improved on this occasion.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Queens Hotel in Cheltenham and look forward to seeing you again.