“Just right”

Ranked #3 of 70 Cheltenham B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Just right”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our stay at Beaumont House ticked all the boxes: beautiful venue, warm, homely feel, comfortable guest rooms, great location and top notch service. Upon arrival in the afternoon we enjoyed a cup of coffee in the garden before heading out into the town. The next morning we jogged in town and came back to a delicious breakfast before departing for the scenic route through the Cotswolds that our host recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Suffolk
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have only stayed in the lesser rooms here, the ground floor ones; using Beaumont House as a bed for the night whilst on business. The hotel is in easy reach of the Bath road end of Cheltenham and its restaurants and pubs as well as being in easy reach of the main roads in and out of the city, not too much of a fight on the roads in the morning.

The owners and staff are extremely helpful. The offer of a light meal or snack is welcome when a light arrival is unavoidable.

I have not stayed in the more boutique rooms so cannot comment on them. For an inexpensive B&B the standard rooms are very good.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Lovely, characterful building.....a far cry from 'chain' hotels. Was running late so rang ahead to let hotel know I was still coming, and receptionist was very polite and asked if I wanted something to eat upon arrival as she would arrange this.....great service. Check in was easy and the young man was friendly but polite, helping me with my luggage up to my room. Single room was furnished very nicely, and was very pleasant. Lovely bathroom. Strange to have an area a bit like a mini kitchen in the corner of the room.....fridge, microwave and worktop - but not an issue.
Breakfast was fantastic, great variety and excellent quality....with very good service.
Would definitely recommend and stay again.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My first impression served me well; within a few minutes of being greeted by host Fan I was changing my plans and booking an extra night. I arrived here hours early expecting to be able to drop my bags, but since my room was ready I was able to check in fully. Then while Fan checked out train timetables, my friend and I (who was just dropping me there) were given a complementary coffee in the sunny conservatory. I had the single room, which, although small, is perfectly formed, with a good sized ensuite (almost as large as the room). The breakfasts are excellent and the service is outstanding: At one point I asked for some milk (since the single room is the only room without a bar fridge, the milk comes in a small thermos); it was in my room before I'd finished asking for it!

Plenty of parking if you're driving and a pleasant 20 minute walk to the centre of town, where you can catch a bus to nearby places, e.g. Stow-on-Wold (25 minutes to Cheltenham Spa Station) if you're on foot as I was.

As a B&B, I couldn't fault the place and I'm surprised to see there are any ratings below excellent or very good. I did notice one review comment on the noise. My single room was on the lower floor and some noise couldn't be avoided I suppose, but I've certainly had a lot worse in 5 start hotels, and despite a full house during my stay, the noise level was actually less than I'd expected.

I'm hoping to return some time and would heartily recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Celebrated our anniversary here, and from the moment we walked through the door we both felt completely at home and spoilt, we really felt like the owner & staff truly cared that we were there to celebrate! We were so glad we didnt choose the Mercure (which, right on the Promenade was arguably in a better location)!

What we were keen on:
- Amazing breakfast, both Continental Buffet in addition to ordering a hot cook-to-order main! I had the full English on the first day and the smoked whole haddock with poached egg on the second. AMAZING treat - really made an impression! Not usually what I'd order on the menu but I felt like I could trust that they would deliver well on everything they said they could offer! The restaurant is on the 2013 Michelin recommended guide. Try the raspberry jam and the plum jam. Even their butter had BH engraved in italics on it. Coffee was really, really good and served in a little jug for you to pour as you wish! Service was fast, friendly and efficient.
- Rooms well appointed with luxury lamps, quality cushions and furnishings (not the cheap satiny stuff you'd find in chain hotels)
- Extensive DVD library - our TV in room 8 had a DVD player, you have to go downstairs to request for the movies
- Cozy Conservatory with free tea & coffee and biscuits and library
- The staff were friendly and helpful without being intrusive, efficient and operated like a well oiled machine, really top notch service far exceeding anything I've ever experienced in other 5 star international hotels!
- Free water and chocolates which was a nice touch, and good quality shampoo/conditioner/body wash. Although at most 5 star hotels I would have expected moisturiser too - especially if the heating was on high overnight!
- Stairs were uneven but I felt this added to the charm and history of the hotel!
- Loved the bathroom tiling and mirror - that sort of luxury you only see in rare boutique hotels nowadays

Negatives
- Location is a 15-20 minute walk into Montpellier/shops. We just caught taxi's instead (about £6 each time)
- Bed slightly on the harder side but my partner loved it
- As Room 8, 9, 10 etc is on the 3rd floor it is literally a converted attic. Both my partner and I saw the "Mind your head" signs but we both still bumped our head many times over 2 days getting in/out of the shower. Ouch!
- The curtains didnt quite block all the light out unfortunately, so that we'd be woken up by the light coming in from the side of it
- Quite a small room for £109 per night on the top floor not anywhere close to anything else in Cheltenham!

I think if I were to come back and stay again I'd opt for one of the themed rooms - the out of Asia first, followed by out of Africa!

Room Tip: Ask for it to be on the 1st floor as 2nd floor rooms are converted attics
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cupar, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights whilst on business in Cheltenham. Really impressed with the personal service and attention to detail. Fresh milk and drinks in the room fridge, very clean throughout, comfortable bed and a fabulous freshly cooked breakfast. All the staff were friendly and attentive. The room was on the second floor (no lift) but the staff carried luggage up for me - great! Plenty of parking outside and CCTV made it feel a safe place too. Will visit again no doubt!

Room Tip: Room 14 on top floor was slightly small (sloping ceilings) but still comfortable for 3 nights. If st...
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Beaumont House was rated the #6 B&B in the Cotwsolds last year but we cannot imagine what the other 5 B&Bs did to beat them. For starters, the reception from Reddick on a cold and wet day was very warm and appreciated after a long trip. The property was entirely renovated several years ago but it looks as if it was just completed.

Great design features in our standard room and the entire BH. A wonderful sitting room with a view of the garden to start the day. Fan (sic) and the staff were super.

One cautionary note, if you order the Big Full English Breakfast, you had better have a huge appetite. The locally sourced foods were excellent and a the regular English Breakfast would satisfy any normal appetitie.

We heartily recommend this location.
Mona & Joe