“OK for a lads trip away but not with the mrs !!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Central Studios

and 1 more site!
Central Studios
London, United Kingdom
“OK for a lads trip away but not with the mrs !!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

We went to Cheltenham for the racing and were struggling for accomodation, they had room at Central Studios and i can understand why. The room was small, a twin room 12ft by 9ft id say the beds were very poor quality you could feel the springs coming thru and my first nights sleep was very uncomfortable, the pillows again poor quality wafer thin, it doesnt make sense to save a few quid buying cheap bedding but some decent pillows it wud make a difference for minimal cost. +ve were the bathroom facilities two of them very nice decent showers. Another -ve was the checking in / entry system they say they will text you with details , although they had our mobile number they didnt call, and the code/key safe system is not ideal

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed in the central studio glouester for 1 night and it was enough, I would not recommend this so called apartments to anyone, the staff was non existent and only for a present tenant we would be still outside, the room was terribly decorated and had a damp smell, we had to share a bathroom out in the hall with other residents and this 2012, can't believe so many travel companies have this kip on their sites,

• Stayed September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Cheltenham hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

The worst thing was the lack of human contact. The booking transaction was conducted
on line and access to building (after negotiating metal fire escape in car park,) was reached through pressing codes on doors. As a lone traveller I found the dark corridors and lack of personal contact slightly alarming.

The building smelt of damp. The bed was uncomfortable with squeaky frame and thin mattress. No breakfast.

One shared toilet and shower between five rooms. Youth hostels offer better facilities.

At £110 a night one would expect better than this.

They should half the price, get a warden in and call it a hostel. Then it would have been fine.

It was reminded me of the motel in Hitchcock's Psycho.
Jo Siedlecka, editor Independent Carholic News.

Room Tip: don't stay here. I picked it last minute and it seemed to be the only room left in Cheltenham i...
Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have stayed here a few times. It provides good budget accommodation with easy access to to the town. Very close to the train station and buses run to Cheltenham and Gloucester.
The room contained TV and cooking facilities with a local shop just over the road.
The room was clean and the staff friendly and helpful.

I will stay here on future visits.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Astrojim
Limerick, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

I stayed here in February and it was ghastly. There was an overpowering stench of sewerage in the room which, given the fact that there was one of those plug-in air-fresheners on when I got there, the staff must have been aware of. I arrived late so wasn't in a position to complain and spent one of the worst nights of my life. Furthermore the room was at the back of the complex and the window opened onto one of the platform of Cheltenham train station. From about 3am there were freight trains coming in and out and the noise was atrocious.

I made a complaint when I returned home which was answered. I smell was acknowledged and I received an apology, stating it was a new problem. But it can;t be as others here have commented on it so it's quite longstanding. However the management appeared to suggest I was making up the part about the noise (again I note here that others have felt that they were, on complaining, bascially called liars) which infuriated me. I was offered a 10% reduction on my next visit but a 100% discount wouldn't entice me to stay in this dump again.

To be fair I have to state that I had stayed before and had no problems

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SG1968
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

Even if you are on a budget, spend an extra fifty quid and go somewhere else. I booked rooms for two weeks. In hindsight the first room was five star, even if the room stank of human excrement and the front door didn't lock. I thought that was bad enough until I went to a studio in the town center. At least it didn't smell of crap, but again the front door would not lock and having been woken up in the middle of the night being eaten alive by what I can only assume to be bed bugs, I went to the car to get my ground mat and sleeping bag that I luckily had with me and spent the night as far away from the bed and skirting boards as I could. If it had not been twelve below zero, I would have slept in my car. I also would have thought it would cost more in research to make a mattress so uncomfortable and bereft of any hint of padding as it would to just buy a half decent one. I am pretty sure I've bought toilet roll more expensive than the mattress.

in fairness, if you stay for the festival and you're out all day and evening, it may pass...any other reason... Avoid like the plague. I am so dissatisfied and depressed at finding myself staying here, but being truthful... It is clean in an extremely tired way.

• Stayed February 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

I think some of the reviews so far have been overly critical considering that everything they have complained about things that are mentioned on the booking website.

We were a group of friends looking for a cheap nights stay for New Years Eve in a fairly central location. Considering what we paid (£35 each for two nights!) we feel this accommodation is a extremely good value for money. It is NOT a hotel as stated on the website, instead you are given a code to enter the property and a code to retrieve your room key - therefore if you are the sort of person who prefers the attention of staff, then this property is not for you.
The rooms are of a good size, very clean and include a sink, microwave and fridge. Don't be fooled by the comment 'sofa bed', as actually is a leather couch in which the back folds down to be slept on, not very big, but big enough for one person. All of the 4 rooms on our floor shared three toilets and 2 showers which were immaculate and efficient. There is also a shower in the room, however it has a clear glass door, so if you are a group of friends, this could create a rather intimate/embarrassing situation!
To walk into the town centre it took around 20-25mins down the straight main road, this was do-able in the day, however in the evening wearing high heels, we opted for a taxi! It is also just down the road from a 24hr garage and a TGI Friday's! To the rear of the property there is enough parking for approx 10-15 cars which is safe and secure.
Overall our stay at Central Studios was very pleasant, value for money was exceptional, the rooms and shared bathrooms were very clean and modern.
I think if the hotel invested a small amount of money improving the quality of the pillows, bedding and towels, then my overall rating would be 5 out of 5!

Room Tip: The sofa beds are not your typical 'sofa bed', its a leather couch with a back that pushes d...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends