“Excellent venue for wedding reception”

The Green Dragon Inn
Ranked #51 of 446 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Description: A traditional country 17th Century inn situated in the Cotswolds only 15 minutes drive from Cheltenham, Gloucester and Cirencester. The Green Dragon Inn continually proves to be a popular retreat for those appreciating good food, fine wines and real ales. Set in the countryside for a relaxing experience and great walks from the door.On a fine day, sit outside amongst the honeysuckle and hanging baskets or on colder days relax by the log fires in our Oak beamed bars. Browse over our extensive menu and daily changing specials board, where our chef uses his creativity in producing “pub food with a difference"One of our special features of the pub is the ‘Mouse Bar’. The furniture and the bars themselves have been made by Robert Thompson, the famous ‘Mouse Man of Kilburn’ with small mice running all over the hand carved chairs, tables and mantelpiece! To complement the food there is a wine list notable for its range and value. We also have a good selection of fine ales; Hook Norton, Otter, Doom Bar and GL Cider. Nine comfortable bedrooms are individually furnished to a high standard, all with their own en-suite bathroom. The rooms are all doubles and twins, and extra beds for children can be provided if needed. In addition we have the St. George’s Suite and has its own sitting room. Also an ideal venue for weddings.
Cheltenham
“Excellent venue for wedding reception”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed here Sat 18th for my partner's daughter's wedding. Everything was wonderfully handled and organised by the staff who were very friendly and ensured everyone was happy.
Main meal was a BBQ affair and was far less formal than the same old, which was nice for a change.
We booked a room for the night. It was a decent sized room, even had decent coffee and fresh milk, not the UHT 1 million years stuff ! Breakfast next day was served very timely and tasted great.
If you're wondering about babies / toddlers they have high chairs too.

• Visited May 2013

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Very poor quality”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I ordered crab dumplings as a starter. It was embarrassing. They arrived with a small decoration of salad badly presented and badly served. The dumplings tasted of nothing, just pure stodge quite horrible. My fish arrived and it was nearly cold. The side dish of vegetables was revolting. The kitchen had put melted butter over the veges but it did nothing but spoil the flavour. The red cabbage in this dish tasted revolting. It appears the chefs in the kitchen did not care. Even it was a Friday night to serve such bad quality food is unacceptable. We are after all paying for all the dishes we ordered. Presentation was poor as well. Service was good to start with but like any pub one pays restaurant prices but customers are expected to go to the bar to get drinks. If we have to serve ourselves in a pub style why dont they bring the prices down. It was also very noisy, people at the bar talking loudly, which is not acceptable for an evening out in a restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
Riyadh
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here for New Year 2012. A mixed bunch as we have 2 young children and a 19 year old daughter who also took her boyfriend. my husband and I had the George Suite and my daughter and her BF had a standard room. The suite was fabulous, the bathroom was enormous and had a free standing bath, I could have spent an evening soaking but unfortunately we didn't stay long enough to have the luxury.

We all had lunch on arrival, the 2 smaller children were fascinated by the mice that were carved on the furniture, one of the young staff, Adam, took a few minutes to show them where some of the more obscure mice were. A lovely touch. There was something on the menu for us all and it was delicious.

New Years Eve we had another lovely meal, the kids were made to feel very welcome. We went back to our room about 10.30pm as the children were tired and I'm not the biggest New Years Eve fan. My daughter and her boyfriend went for more than a few drinks to the bar. In the morning breakfast was freshly cooked and the landlady made bacon sandwiches for us to take to the room for my daughter and her boyfriend who hadn't surfaced in time.

We had a late lunch which again was delicious. There is a huge open fire in the bar which was kept roaring. The pub was very busy with locals who were out for a new years day walk, I was glad that we had booked a table in advance.

All in all a very enjoyable and good value break.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Amanda_Mul
Gloucester, UK
“Well above average for Pub Grub”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

It was my birthday! We wanted somewhere to go for lunch, 7 adults, 2 young children and 2 in high chairs. Not too expensive, good quality food, but not "cordon bleu". And somewhere where, although the grand-schildren are not excessively noisey, at least they could be themselves. So nowhere posh! That can be a tough specification, but the Green Dragon filled it perfectly. Oh yes, we needed plenty of car-parking space as well.

The adults started with the Duck Terrine. Just as good as I have had anywhere, twice the portion size and half the price. This was going to be good! Those who had the Lamb Kofta were not dissappointed either. The battered cod, I am told, was mouth-watering, the ham hock "delish" and the beefburgers were good, too. I had the steak and kidney pudding, perhaps a little too much pudding and a little low on the steak and kidney, but it all went down very nicely, assisted by a nice pint of Hookey beer.

One tip - book a table, it gets busy. As good restaurants should!

Conclusion, well above avreage pub grub. Happy Birthday Andy!

• Visited March 2013
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Disappointment”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

What looks like an idyllic country pub turned out to be a ridiculously over priced wanna-be restaurant. There was nothing on the menu that made me think "Mmm, must try that" and the entire façade was topped off by the arrogance of (who I assume to be) the Land Lord. I do not like to speak ill of specific people but what happened to the jolly but firm Land Lord of old. Instead we get an arrogant, pompous jobs worth who need to learn respect for staff and customers. Other than that, general service was sufficient and the food was indeed delicious, even if the quantity did bring back memories of rationing.

• Visited January 2013