All reviewsafternoon teamini burgerssunday lunchexecutive roombirthday treatren toiletrieslovely hotelhotel restaurantmontpellier chapterbars and restaurantslarge bedmontpellier areamodern bathroomeggs benedictgreat showerhigh ceilingswonderful weekend
Reviewed November 11, 2017

A brilliant location hotel, with lovely history from the days when it was the Savoy. Retains many of the old features to make a characterful property. My stay was a solo relaxation stay so I did not experience the bar or the conservatory.
Reception were warm and welcoming, helpful and chatty.
The room was spacious, modern and well equipped, however the floor splattered in paint spots from obvious ceiling repaint. Bathroom lighting either not working or intentionally dim. TV on the wall not well fitted, hanging wonky. Kettle in the room stainless so dangerously hot once boiled. Lovely comfortable beds with plenty of pillows (some questionable stains on the duvet underneath which I did not investigate).

Room service - don't feel that the extra cover charge for room delivery was worthwhile for a tray with two plates on it. Food to the room was hot and quite tasty and quick.
Staff need to be careful about noise outside guests rooms - I was disturbed by staff opening housekeeping cupboards after 9pm in my room.
Breakfast - continental laid out - croissants cold and pre-baked and coated in icing sugar, fruit not all fresh which seems such a simple thing to do - I saw the staff carrying large tubs of pre-chopped pineapple through the dining room. Open-kitchen chef - why is the chef using pre-cooked scrambled eggs for breakfast service? in fact everything seemed pre-cooked except omelettes and therefore somewhat overcooked. Chef appeared to just be standing about watching diners eat most of the time.
Hot plates - when you serve smoked salmon it should be served on a cold plate, by the time it reached me it was fully cooked with the egg over the top.

Overall, an ok stay but the hotel doesn't live up to either the Malmaison name or its historic predecessors of Kandinsky (Alias Hotels) or the Savoy.

Room Tip: The new wing rooms are very open plan. The old building is attractive but may be slightly noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed November 10, 2017

Stayed here with my partner while in the area on business.

Having stayed in a number of Malmaison hotels before, you know what to expect. A nice building and decorated to a very nice standard.

The room itself was nice and big, with a very nice shower. It was however a little dark when nighttime came. We had all the lights on, and set to the highest brightness but we still couldn't seem to get it bright enough. I needed to complete some work, which was difficult due to the low lighting.

Bar area was very nice. We enjoyed a few drinks here before and after eating out.

Breakfast was disappointing. There was no salmon available, and the bacon I had was very fatty. Much more than is usual. I had American waffles with bacon and maple syrup. As mentioned the bacon was fatty, and there was barely any syrup. Any which had been poured on seemed to congeal underneath the waffles losing the taste. In fact, i do suspect that it was actually honey rather than maple syrup....

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DavidChrisT831
Reviewed November 5, 2017

Lovely dining room and almost empty, but not a great lunch for the four of us. Two of our very modest starters were wordlessly put at the opposite end of the table, not in front of the diners. No bread is offered and those eating the pork terrine had to almost beg for some to go with it. My smoked haddock chowder was served on a flat plate and was completely cold with one of the only four mussels still closed. As for the treacle tart, it was burnt and the portions so small we laughed when they arrived. The staff were very pleasant but it was a disappointing experience.

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2017

We went for Sunday lunch. Although the food was generally as good as you'd expect, it started to go downhill when rage main course was delivered before my soup, which when came, was tepid, and then replaced with a slightly less tepid one. When the fire alarm went off the kitchen staff shot out pdq, leaving the paying customers sitting there until a staff member suggested they should leave - poor fire drill training. When we were let back in for dessert, it took forever to get desserts, then only three arrived for four people. They deducted some money for the soup mix-up, but no gesture was made for the fire alarm disruption or dessert cock up. Very disappointing.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2017

We were looking for a base a short walk into the centre, and only wanted accommodation as we intended to eat out. Lots of nice places to eat and drink nearby, John Gordon's if you fancy a gin! From checking in on Friday with Honey, who was very fab, to departing on the Sunday morning we were well looked after.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple