“Lovely Cottage, lovely village, lovely restaurants”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Lavender Cottage

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Perfect for al fresco refreshments
Entrance to Lavender Cottage
The River Windrush flows through the centre of Bourton-on-the-Water
The River Windrush in the centre of Bourton-on-the-Water
Bourton-on-the-Water
The village wildlife
Ooops! Only joking. You'll have to travel to Arizona USA for this view
Bourton on the Water celebrates Christmas
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

French first
Spanish first
Any
Explorer3...
“Lovely Cottage, lovely village, lovely restaurants”
Reviewed August 16, 2016 for a stay in August 2016

Since the moment we booked I had the feeling this was going to be a nice few days away. The cottage is tucked away from the main street, but its just a minute's walk to the green. The cottage is very clean and has great charm. Hilary ,the owner kindly left a host of provisions as well as two very nice books for my children. We stayed for 3 nights and travelled to see Broadway, Moreton-in-The-Marsh and Chipping Camden on the one day, however we really did not feel the need to go outside of Bourton on any other day. This was what I call " an old fashioned holiday". My kids are 10 and 13, but they loved the maze, the motor museum, the treasure hunt and the model village. We ate dinner at L'anatra and The Rose tree both of which were excellent! We had lunch at the Bakery on The Water sat next to the river which again was great. This cottage will now become a "getaway"for us a few weekends per year as long as we can book it!! Just one minor negative point, is that the village is very busy at weekends, especially with good weather and people can leave a mess on the green etc. after their picnics. It does get quieter in the evenings however. Give it a try you will not be disappointed by a pretty English village and a beautiful little cottage!!

Date of stay: August 2016
Traveling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Aug 27, 2016
Thanks for sharing your experience of the cottage and the village. I'm pleased that your children embraced the old-fashioned charm. I'm sorry that you experienced a litter problem during your visit. The council & the locals are usually very good at collecting rubbish that people leave behind. We'll look forward to welcoming you again.
Katrina L
London, United Kingdom
“A wonderful stay...once again!”
Reviewed August 14, 2016 for a stay in August 2016

This was my third stay at Lavender cottage, my Cotswolds home from home! The cottage was spotless and comfortable and everything we could have possibly wanted/ needed had already been thought of and provided. Alistair and Hilary are wonderful hosts.

Date of stay: August 2016
Traveling group: Friends
Aug 27, 2016
It was lovely to welcome you back. See you again soon!
ACPal
“Lovely peaceful break!”
Reviewed August 14, 2016 for a stay in July 2016

Fantastic centrally located cottage- so peaceful, with everything one could possibly need for a short break.
Much appreciated and very helpful owners- we've already recommended this cottage to friends.
Many thanks for a wonderful holiday!

Date of stay: July 2016
Aug 27, 2016
Thanks for taking the time to post this kind review. I'm happy that you enjoyed your R&R break here. Thanks, too, for sharing with your friends.
cm13sm
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely cottage and great location”
Reviewed July 31, 2016 for a stay in July 2016

My wife and I and our two daughters (5 & 7) had a great time staying at this cottage, it is very well equipped with all the usual things plus loads of additions, dvds for kids, board games and there was a personalised gift left for each of my daughters on their beds, very thoughtful. Location is great, only 20 paces from the river, very central which meant my car didn't turn a wheel the first 4 days we were there. Overall a great holiday and a lovely cottage, would definitely recommend this.

Date of stay: July 2016
Aug 1, 2016
I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Lavender Cottage and that it's location gave you a rest from driving. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2016 for a stay in June 2016

Date of stay: June 2016
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location of the cottages was ideal.
Traveling group: Young Children
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Jul 17, 2016
Thank you for using your jet lag hours to post this review so soon after you arrived home. It was a pleasure to meet you & I know that you all enjoyed your time here. The Lego has proved a big hit with our young guests & it's wonderful to see young imaginations at work. I'm sorry that you had difficulty in finding the cottage on arrival. Once a booking is confirmed I email our guests with general information. I also include attachments - the village map, and an arrival sheet which includes photos for the location & entrance to the cottage. I urge guests to print or study these photos because the cottage is tucked away, which is part of it's charm. I understand that things can get forgotten or lost when you're on a busy trip, so I'm glad that one of our friendly neighbours was available to help.
emdownes
St Ives, United Kingdom
“Everything we could have dreamed of in cottage”
Reviewed July 7, 2016 for a stay in June 2016

I rented this cottage for a surprise 60th birthday present for my sister not only was the cottage the best I'd ever stayed in,the care from Hilary the owner was second to none she helped me find lovely places to eat and also left present and flowers for my sister could not have asked for more. The cottage is in an excellent position and is cosy clean and has everything in it you would need. I will definitely be using it again

Date of stay: June 2016
Jul 17, 2016
I'm so pleased that the surprise for your sister was a success. It's always a pleasure to leave treats for a special occasion. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We'll look forward to welcoming you again.
bmysore
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
“Living our English dream”
Reviewed June 11, 2016 for a stay in May 2016
person found this review helpful

(Excuse the length of this review, but I did want to do justice to it :-)

Our trip to England was a long-cherished ambition; and staying in a quintessentially English village in a lovely half-timbered stone cottage was a major highlight. We started our travel research months earlier and the first thing that made it real for us was booking Lavender cottage. We had wanted to stay here the moment we came across it and read the reviews; and in fact worked our itinerary around the cottage availability dates. We stayed 3 nights here.

The booking experience -
The entire experience starting with the online booking process through the stay was smooth and easy. Hilary was extremely responsive and in touch all along, patiently providing detailed responses to all our questions and concerns. Upon booking and also a few days prior to our arrival, we were provided all necessary check-in and parking information over email, so there was no last-minute anxiety.

Finding the cottage and settling in -
The property is located in a central yet quiet part of town, and is easy to find. Access to the cottage is through a gate and courtyard at the end of a peaceful, residential street; this made us feel like we were returning home each evening; no "hotel" or "touristy" feel here at all.

Hilary is super organized and any information that we could possibly need during our stay was neatly filed in a detailed dossier left on the dining table. We got pretty good at using the file and were all settled in within a couple of hours; there was no reason for confusion and so we didn't need to keep calling her. Dos & Don'ts were pleasantly and humorously stated (and let me tell you we have come across some rather intimidating signs in a few other places that we stayed :-)

The cottage and supplies -
The kitchen and the fridge was stocked with everything we needed for breakfast and beyond. The supplies were such a nice touch and came in so handy as we prepared a couple of meals here, esp. the cooking spray. All appliances were in good condition. We used the washer-drier, coffee maker, toaster and clothes iron. The bathroom is spacious and airy. The stone & wood living room is lovely. The bedrooms had a cosy and fresh feel to them. WiFi actually worked, and that's not always been our experience in Europe!

The surprises -
For an entire day, there were squeals of delight as we continued to 'discover' the cottage and the thoughtful touches left by our hosts - the cute attic bedroom, movie tapes by the TV, the big basket with sofa throws, cake plate in the kitchen cabinet, strawberry jam & coffee (real, not instant) in the fridge, the little book case with some really good reads, bicycle hire info slips, even laundry detergent sachets, the list goes on :-)
It's apparent that the owners love their little place.

The Negatives - None really.
The bathroom flush generates a bit of noise in the living room but this has an understandable explanation in the 'file':-)

We will definitely return just so we can stay longer and take in this lovely part of the country at more leisure. And there'd be no question of staying anywhere but at Lavender cottage.

Thank you Hilary!! It would have been very nice to meet you; hopefully next time.

Date of stay: May 2016
Traveling group: Teenagers
Jun 21, 2016
I'm so pleased that you found the holiday experience you wanted at Lavender Cottage and that you enjoyed your short stay in our lovely village. There's plenty more of England to discover, but you'll be welcome here on your next visit.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing