“Another lovely Country Inn.”
Review of Old Manse Hotel

Old Manse Hotel
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Ive stayed at a few of the Country Inn hotels around the country and i have enjoyed every single one with my family. They are all good value for money. The Old Manse is set right in the heart of Bourton.on.the.Water and its like a picture postcard. Absolutely fab and i can highly recommend it. What a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for all your lovely comments, which I have shared with the team. We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Chris, General Manager.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Accommodation in the Cotswolds can be very expensive. We chose to stay at the Old Manse as we were on a long trip and it was a reasonable price. The hotel itself is in a perfect location in the centre of Bourton, which is also an excellent base for exploring the area. The public areas retain the old world charm of the hotel, as I believe the more expensive rooms do. But we stayed in a less expensive double room, which had been updated in a modern style, and--not surprisingly given the price--was very small, as was the bathroom. Most of the room was taken up by a kingsized bed--really two beds put together. We would actually have preferred a smaller bed and more space in the room. But the bed was comfortable and the shower and bath worked well. The hotel staff were all perfectly pleasant and effective but somewhat impersonal. The breakfast in the dining room was fine, with lots of alternatives, although the croissants were oddly hard (probably over-cooked or microwaved). Management should ask their staff not to chew gum while on duty. One very nice waitress was an enthusiastic gum-chewer, which isn't appealing. We didn't eat at the restaurant so can't comment except to note that the prices were very reasonable. We had an excellent meal at the fairly pricey Rose Tree next door to the hotel, and two very good meals at the recommended Croft restaurant, which was much less expensive than the Rose Tree, and almost as good. Although the hotel's parking lot (accessed through an archway on the side of the hotel) was small, we only once had to park on the street, and it was free until 11:00 in the morning and very close to the hotel. (Staff will explain where that is.) For what we paid, this was good value.

Room Tip: If you can afford more, we would strongly suggest one of the higher priced rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking the time in providing us with feedback on your recent stay, when I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I have taking note of your comments and will be speaking the waitress in question. On behalf of the team and Myself, I hope that you will revisit us again soon. Chris, General Manager

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Excellent staff, beautiful, clean rooms & delicious food. Would definitely go back! We stayed in one of the superior suites whilst my husbands parents stayed in the other-this was perfect as we took our two daughters (aged 22 months and 3 years) and they could wander from our room to theirs as we had our own little corridor-which was ideal. Perhaps my only downside was that this may be a little over priced but then you are in the Cotswolds so I guess that's to be expected. Breakfast & dinner was yummy!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you for you wonderful comments, I have shared these with the team who are always delighted to hear when our guests have enjoyed their stay. I hope to one day welcome you back to the Old Manse. Chris, General Manager.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights on a B&B basis. We had a room overlooking the river. The location of the room was good except that there is a lot of traffic noise early in the morning. The breakfast we had was good and we also had an evening meal which was very good. However a major disappointment was the cleanliness of the room, and in particular the bathroom. We complained in the morning and were told that the room would be given a deep clean. When we came back later in the day the room was still not cleaned to our expectations. I asked the receptionist to come to look at the room and she agreed it was not good enough. We asked to move rooms but the alternative we were shown was not any better. I asked to speak to the manager and he agreed not to charge us for one night - this was a nice gesture but I would have preferred to have paid in full and for everything to have been as expected. In general I would say that the staff were polite and helpful but I don't think I would stay here again - unless, of course, the standard of cleanliness improved.

1  Thank Huw W

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us, where I am sorry that you found the cleanliness was not up to your expectations or our high standards. I have shared this with my housekeepers and we are working hard towards ensuring we avoid these issues again. I hope one day to welcome you back to the Old Manse, Chris, General Manager.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed here for my wifes birthday in June.The hotel was clean and tidy, and the receptionists were friendly and helpful.We had a smallish room with a king sized double which was fine. Although the quilt was slightly too small.The bathroom was clean and tidy and the shower was hot.The TV however kept blocking on picture and muting on sound.The strange thing was the regional news was the BBC South Feed ?Why on earth would you be interested in Southamptons news in the cotswolds !!!
We had booked in for an evening meal, and it was fine. The food was good value and was enjoyable.I had my favourite beer specked hen, and that was good too.We would stay again next time we are in that area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking time in providing feedback on your recent stay, where I have shared all of your comments with the team. We understand the issues surrounding the TV signal, where Geography and Transmitters, do affect our reception quality from time to time which is sadly currently beyond our control. I am however glad to hear that this did not detract from your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Chris, General Manager.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Everything was just right, the location, the room, comfotable bed, and a good breakfast. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Beware though this hotel is right in the centre of the village which is very, very busy in high season. If you want quiet and peaceful this isn't for you.. Also parking can be an issue as the hotel's car park is quite small.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank cilc213
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, it was great to hear you enjoyed your stay so much. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

The only thing we really wanted was a quiet room. I'd asked for that ahead of time and asked again when we checked in. I was told that it was a quiet area and all the rooms were quiet.

When we got to room 10 we found there was a hugely noisy extractor fan from the kitchen right next to the window. We were told it was the only room available (though there was a sign outside advertising room vacancies, right next to the sign saying they had job vacancies in the front of house and the kitchen - both full time and part time) and that the fan would go off at 10pm.

It went off on schedule, revealing the sound of another extractor that had been drowned out by the first. After I asked, this too was turned off, but that revealed a third level of noise, including the pump for the fountain that's intended to create a sound to cover the other noises.

Added to all this, the hotel is cheaply converted with tiny bathrooms whose own fans go off whenever you put the light on.

The staff's bedrooms are above the guest rooms and naturally the staff go to the bathroom after their shift. So we had the sound of as many as 3 bathroom fans through the thin ceiling and walls, till after 1am. Then it all started again after 6am.

If we'd had a car we'd have left in the night, but we were on a walking tour - hence the need for quiet and sleep.

I spoke to the manager, who'd been absent when we checked in. He was politely interested in what I had to say but not apparently disappointed, concerned, or even surprised.

This place trades off the fact there will always be more visitors to such a scenic town, drawn by an attractive-looking hotel. I can't imagine anyone going back.

Room Tip: This hotel is selling you space in rooms that are not fit for purpose. Don't do it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank andrewgledhill
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at Old Manse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

I would like to thank you for you recent feedback of your stay with us and I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. The Old Manse is an historic building with the bedrooms in keeping with a building of its size, which the majority of our guests find confortable and relaxing, with many returning to the Old Manse a base to explore the Cotswolds. I hope one day to welcome you back to the Old Manse. Chris, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bourton-on-the-Water
Dial House Hotel
#6 of 27 in Bourton-on-the-Water
Broadlands Guest House
Broadlands Guest House
#4 of 27 in Bourton-on-the-Water

Been to Old Manse Hotel? Share your experiences!