“Mixed Feelings”
Review of The Swan Hotel

The Swan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bibury
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Having married at The Swan we decided to have an anniversary celebration in Room 11 which is the premier room in the hotel. Upon arrival we found the staff extremely helpful and accommodating. We had a champagne and strawberry cream tea included in our package which was lovely. The 3 course dinner was exceptionally good and the waiting staff attentive throughout.
There was unfortunately one big downside to our stay – the cleanliness and serviceability of the bathroom (which had been recently highlighted by Clover51 here- I don’t know if they complained to the hotel management). This bathroom has a 2 person Jacuzzi bath and a double size shower. There were watermark stains on the bath from 2 of the nozzles. Nearly all the chrome rings around the nozzles were split. The nozzles were grubby. There were 2 huge cobwebs laden in dust over the shower cubicle. The water runoff in the shower cubicle door was filthy. One tile between the bath and the shelf at the end of the bathroom was broken with pieces missing. A chair in the corner of the room was so dusty that I was able to leave a clearly defined mark in the dust.
I spoke with the young lady duty manager and expressed my concerns at the state of the bathroom. She came and inspected the bathroom and readily agreed that it was well below standard, especially being the honeymoon suite. Having called upon the Head Housekeeper to join her she then found further faults with the bathroom - a broken and jagged tile in the bottom of the shower cubicle and chipped grubby paintwork below the shower door.) She decided that the handyman needed to be involved and the room closed for letting for 2 days whilst repairs and a thorough cleaning were carried out.
The complaint was handled very well and the cost of our stay was discounted to my satisfaction to make up for the disappointment.
I sincerely hope that some lessons have been learnt as it is a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 25, 2010

We had three rooms as part of a family short break and paid £69 per person per night to include bed, breakfast, 3 course dinner and a glass of prosecco. The hotel is perfectly situated in the centre of Bibury with pretty gardens overlooking the river. Rooms were clean, comfortable and well equipped with huge bathrooms. Everywhere was clean and the service from all the staff was excellent - really friendly and catering for lots of our different requests. The food was of a high standard too although eating there two nights we were disappointed that the menu hardly changed and there was only one choice for vegetarians. Only problem that we encountered was that our baby monitor signal didn't quite reach reception but managed to get round this by leaving it on the stairs! Would recommend especially if you can manage to get one of the promotional deals - it always makes for a better trip if you feel you are getting good value for money!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2010

My boyfrind surprised me with a stay at The Swan as he knew how much I had wanted to stay there mainly for its spectacular location, you really can't beat it!
When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly receptionist and all was well we were also thrilled to hear we would be staying in the "Honeymoon Suite" and thought it seemed like a bargain for £240 for the night. This was until we saw the room. On face value it was perfect, a four poster bed, spa bath and huge bathroom but then we looked a bit closer and noticed every serface was covered in a thick layer of dust and that the cups on the refreshments tray were not exactly clean. Also we had absolutely no view even though there were windows on either side of the room.
We decided to have dinner in the Hotel, he food was I have to say wonderful my duck was cooked perfectly but my partner wasn't keen on his stew but he put that down to a preference thing rather than the cooking.
Just when we were about to go to sleep we heard an almighty bang from what we thought was somewhere in the distance, then another, and another, and another. 1 hour later we went down to reception to ask if there was some kind of militry training going on somewhere and were told there wasn't but the receptionist phoned the near buy Bibury Manor if they had a wedding going on and fireworks, no they didn't. Confused and tired we went back to our room only to back down in reception again an hour later. This time we managed to pin point the noise to the kitchen and the main door in and out of the kitchen to the restaurant which was right below our room, the receptionist said she would have a word with the kitchen staff and we went back to bed, it took another 3 hours for the noise to stop and we both only got around 3 hours sleep before the noise started up again presumably getting ready for breakfast.
Tired and fed up I thought trying out the Spa bath might help but as soon as I filled it up and turned the jets on all sort of dirt and grime started shooting out the jets and the shower really wasn't that alluring either it was stuck in a damp, dingy and dark part of the of the bathroom so I emptied the bath and refilled it without using the jets.
The food at breakfast was really good although there really wasn't enough to chose from. But the breakfast staff were rude and pushy funnily enough they were the same staff who had been on the night before at dinner I wonder if our complaint about the noise had annoyed them somewhat.
When we booked out we told the receptionist about our problem with the noise and we shocked when we weren't offered anything in the way of an apology.
I will never stay there again which is a shame because it could be such a wonderful hotel but I have stayed in hotels for £49 a night that have been 10 times better in service and quality than this one. At £240 for one night, we were completely and utterly fleeced! I think I will stick to Von Essen from now on!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Clover51
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Firstly this hotel is beautiful outside. Cannot fault it's location or the beautiful architecture. Stunning. Inside- not welcoming and poorly signposted. Reception desk tucked well back and a horrid dark blue check carpet- very dated. Likewise the decor in the bar- tartan walls- again just looks dated. The Brasserie/Cafe Swan is hideous. They have amateurish laminated menus and the staff look fed up. We had coffee in there yesterday and it was not a pleasant experience. The decor is dated and bizarre. The Gallery restaurant has had a refurb I think and was very nice indeed. Tasteful, muted, and a lovely relaxing space to have Sunday lunch today. The lunch was great- good quality roast beef, excellent yorkshire pudding, potatoes- only 3 of them and I could better myself but apart from that for £15.95 for two courses I won't complain. There were only 3 other tables of people in so it's clearly not popular which is a shame, but it wasn't advertised well at all and I suspect they have a lot of competition from Catherine Wheel which I intend to try next week and also Bibury Court Hotel. Restaurant manager was well spoken and professional and the overall service was excellent.
Worth a visit.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I should start this by saying that I've had great expereinces of the Swan Hotel in the past.

Sadly our experience today can only be described as desperately poor. We decided it'd be a great place to take friends visiting from Paris for lunch. The barman was sullen verging on hostile. He served us two pints of real aleone Hooky and one Old Hooky that were both off - cloudy and full of sediment. Then he argued when we complained and said that it's supposed to be like this. My wife used to manage a Camra pub - she tried to gently explain but he was sour and unco-operative. Then he tried to charge us extra for replacement drinks. Then the food arrived. My roast lamb consisted of two slices of tasteless fat, a tiny handful of garden vegetables and three soggy roast potatoes. My wife had overcooked leathery beef with similar vegetables and one of our guests had fish and chips that seemed half cooked. The bill was £60 - odd. Not a fortune but a lot of money for substandard food, substandard beer and substandard service.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Malco68
Reviewed July 28, 2010

After much research on the net I chose to stay at The Swan Hotel in Bibury and could not have been more thrilled with the result. The village of Bibury is the most beautiful village in the Cotswolds with the extremely photogenic Arlington Row just down the road. The Swan Hotel was magnificent-beautiful rooms and fantastic service. So romantic and a photographers dream-do not miss this wonderful opportunity!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travel_pair24
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Positives - The staff really are brilliant, every single one of them was helpful, friendly and efficient. We paid extra for a superior room which was spacious and decorated nicely. They provide tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits plus real milk if you ring down to reception delivered to your room which makes a real difference to the usual UHT milk. The bathroom was really spacious and the hotel provide Molton Brown toiletries. We ate in the restaurant on the first night which was pretty good, not worth paying £32 for though but it was part of our package. On the second night we ate in the bar and we actually thought the food was better here. The breakfast is really good, lovely bacon and sausages or trout and scrambled egg if you fancy it - served until 10am at weekends.
Negatives - the garden is nice but they had some bare flower beds which seemed odd for June plus there was really limited seating, we ended up sitting on the edge of the river, feet dangling down as we drank some beers from the trout farm shop (cheaper than the hotel bar) Parking is a bit limited due to the number of tourists visiting the village, they have mostly left by 5pm though. They charge £6 hour for wii fi - not what I would expect now as so many hotels provide this for free
Overall a really nice hotel and I would want to stay again

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bibury
The Slaughters Country Inn
#2 of 8 in Burford
De Vere Cotswold Water Park
De Vere Cotswold Water Park
#1 of 1 in South Cerney

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!