“Nice Hotel, shame about the overpriced room..........”
Review of The Swan Hotel

The Swan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bibury
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Have just had a quick impromptu night away at The Swan and we opted to splash out on a Four Poster suite (Room 12) to spoil ourselves, although in retrospect it was in our opinion overpriced for the quality of accommodation you get. We opted for an internet special price including evening meal which cost £245.00 for one night. Although it was novel to sleep in a four poster, it is a bit of a rickety four poster. Also, in the bathroom there is a lovely double jacuzzi bath with shower attachment over that constantly drips cold water on whoever's sitting in that end! Add to that the loose toilet handle that comes off in your hand and the fact that the heating hadn't been put on prior to our arrival we felt pretty disappointed considering we could have opted for a standard or deluxe en-suite room for £100-£120 less. I mentioned the faults with the room on departure and some fumbling excuses were made but no offer to compensate or reduce the rate at all. Other than that, the location is great, the staff really friendly especially in the restaurant and the food's not bad. I wouldn't want to put anyone off going but I really don't think that the room we had was worth the money, especially with the easy to fix obvious faults in the bathroom, you really would expect it to be spot on. Go for a standard or deluxe room for £80-£100 plus your meal and you shouldn't go far wrong. Bar prices on the heavy side (£18.00 for a bottle of Rose, £3.40 or so for a pint of Guinness).

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 1, 2009

I arranged to have our annual team conferance at this hotel in early December.
I was delighted with the professional caring attitude of all the staff.Every need was catered for during our day of meetings which were held in the cosy library overlooking the picture postcard views of the water.There were plenty of fresh refreshments even strawberries and grapes on our table.
The bedrooms vary in size but are all of a high standard and very snug.
The only fault we had was that the dining room , whilst nicely appointed was very cold and draughty which somewhat spoiled our dining experience.
I would recommend this hotel for small business meetings and most definately for a romantic weekend in an idylic part of England.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 29, 2008

We chose the Swan Hotel for the venue for our Civil Partnership mainly because of the idyllic setting - Bibury speaks for itself in terms of its beauty. However the reception we received from the staff at the hotel from the moment we enquired was another big factor.

Julia Hearnden the wedding co-ordinator deserves an extra mention here - she is a legend and and extremely effecient and thoughtful host. She always went the extra mile for us.

We stayed from Friday 14th - Monday 17th November 2008 and had room 11. This room is AMAZING - huge suite with king size four poster bed, surpassed only by the doubly amazing bathroom - black marbled tiling with vast jacuzzi bath as a centre piece. We had breakfast in our room (very reasonable £1.50 extra pp) and the breakfast was divine - Dorset Fruits muesli, choice of pastries, choice of cooked breakfast, toast etc. Room was turned down each evening and restocked. Complimentary Molton Brown toiletries in the rooms were a lovely touch. Room 11 is at the back of the hotel so views were of the rear gardens and away from the road at the front.

The staff were all very amiable and extremely helpful, this ranged from the reception staff, to the chamber maids to the bar staff and the waiting on staff. They were always happy to accommodate our requests, and we felt valued as guests. PLus the bar staff had the patience of saints when faced with our wedding party playing drinking games in the bar on the Saturday night ("that is howitiz!")

I have read negative reviews of the food at the Swan, and I can only say that the food we had for the wedding breakfast (and our other dinners) was divine. At weddings you sometimes get bland mass produced food which is lukewarm - this was not at all - beautiful cuisine, piping hot, lovely selection of dishes (local produce where possible) and impeccable service. We have also eaten at the Swan a number of times before and since and the food (both bar and a la carte) has had a wonderful selection and has been very tasty. Also reasonably priced.

The Swan is by far the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in (both UK and abroad) and I think is a fantastic example of a quaint English hostelry kept to highest standards. The hotel and rooms are immaculate, and the food and service are fantastic.

The rooms if paying full price are not on the cheap side - but I have paid more for rooms that werent half as nice. If you want to treat yourself or a loved one for a special occasion then I would most definitely recommend the Swan.

Thank you to Julia and the rest of the team for making our special day perfect. We will see you next year.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2008

We were a party of 10 and met at the Swan for lunch. Sat in an almost exclusive part of the restaurant; enjoyed the food, service and ambience. However to charge us 2.5% for using a credit card when VAT has just been reduced by 2.5%, took the edge off the experience. Come on “The Swan” – you can do better than that!

Stayed: December 2008
swanmanager, General Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2009

Although there has been a 2.5% reduction on VAT, banks have not passed any discounts on to their customers. We have had to introduce a once-off charge of £2.55 on credit card transactions made at the hotel in an attempt to combat the ever-increasing charges imposed by banks. There are no charges whatsoever for payments made by switch/debit cards, cash or cheques.

Reviewed November 20, 2008

My wife and I stayed for a three days and the room was very comfortable, with a huge bathroom. The service was very good, friendly but not instrusive, however I found the dinner was not really worth the expense, which we prebooked at £22 per person. I chose the pheasant, which was overcooked to the point of being dry and tasteless, which must surrely be quite difficult to achieve. The chef should try the same dish a few yards down the road at the Catherine Wheel restaurant - there's no comparison. Strangely, the breakfast was one of the best we've ever had!

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 14, 2008

I visited the Swan at Bibury as i was attending the Fairford air show and was looking for a nice place to stay local to the air base.
I booked a four poster room which was pleasent enough but there was no view, as i was in a side facing room towards a bank and some steps to a bridge.
The room was also very dark, but pleasent with a large bath .
I had booked dinner in the restaurant which was not as bad as previous reports and was served by very friendy polite staff.
The reason for writing this report was the fact that my wife took the complimentary shamoo and body lotions home, as is most womans way, which were used during our stay, may i add.
On returning home i recieved an E mail from the hotel requesting we pay for them!
I can only therefore sumise that they are not complimentary at all!You are therefore only allowed to use the shampoo etc, and leave the half empty plastic bottles to be refilled for the next guest when you leave.
In all my years of staying in hotels this is a first for me, it is not the fact of paying for them, its the fact that for a few pounds the hotel would not provide free NEW toiletrys for each individual guest.
They did confirm that they were not the normal small bottles but large ones! Well all i can say is for the money i paid ,which from looking at the normal room rate was over double! i could have stayed at the Court Hotel down the road in a better room cheaper, definatly had a better meal.
Maybe i was expecting more from the hotel with the price i paid, and at the normal room rate of just over £100 it would be a nice price to stay, but when you are paying two and a half times that you expect to be able to take the half used bottle of complimentary shampoo without being charged!
I suggest the management visit other hotels charging what i paid and inspect the toiletrys, they may find that hotels charging over £240 per night outside of a major city actually do not charge for refilled plastic bottles of shampoo.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank Glen27
swanmanager, General Manager at The Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2008

In order to avoid any confusion, a card is always placed in each bathroom alongside the four 300ml bottles of Molton Brown toiletries. Each card explains that these luxury products are for guest use while resident in the hotel, but could be purchased from Reception at £16.00 per bottle should the guest wish to take them away to enjoy in their own home.

Reviewed May 27, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Swan Hotel in Bibury, and first of all it was every bit as cute and atmospheric as its pictures show it to be. We were thrilled by the small town (there's really nothing there except the hotel and the fish hatchery) and yes, there are real swans in the stream. I tried to book one of the
'good rooms' (the 4-poster one) over the phone, but all they quoted me was a package that was about double what I earlier saw on-line. I declined, later called back, and made it clear I wasn't looking for a package, and then got a rate (still a lot of of US dollars) that I could live with. I did feel they were nickel-and-diming us to death -- we asked if they could chill our wine, as most B&B's are happy to do, and they said they could but only for a fee (later reversed, thank you!) and the bill included a fee for the morning paper they offered us. But aside from that, it was a great experience. The room was awesome, the bath (and this was in the one largest room) was grand, and we thoroughly enjoyed the dinner we had in the restaurant. On the downside, the jacuzzi's drain stopper didn't work, and we had to call the desk, which showed us where the rubber stopper could be found. The staff was very nice, the piano was locked (I had hoped I could play a little...) and some of the guests brought their pets (to the delight of my SO). Would I recommend? Yes -- it was most certainly a perfect upscale Cotswold experience. Don't know what the other rooms were like, but the 4-poster big room (they'll know if you ask) was awesome, though without a view.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bibury
Barnsley House
9 mi away
The Lamb Inn
The Lamb Inn
#2 of 8 in Burford

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!