“Nearly, but not quite!”
Review of The Swan Hotel

The Swan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bibury
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We have stayed at a number of hotels within the group and were looking forward to staying at The Swan. The staff, as always, were polite and efficient, the hotel clean and the decor of a good standard.
However, the view from our window was of the rear of the hotel where the staff 'nipped out for a fag'. Not ideally what I wanted to see.
Whilst having breakfast in the Restaurant, we watched a KP (Kitchen Porter) walk from the kitchen, through the restaurant, bar and reception area. Not a hanging offence by any means, but I personally don't want to see a scruffy KP in a dirty apron walking out of the kitchen that has just prepared my food. Someone in sharp whites and checks might be different, but a dirty looking KP sends all the wrong messages to me.
This happened a number of times and should have waited until service was over. Just not pleasant.
It happened to be Valentime's night when we stayed and we were hoping for for just a pleasant evening and good food. The food was good and the service and staff did not dissapoint. The restaurant seating and layout was a different matter. The tables were so close together that you felt you were intruding on your neighbours evening, and they on yours. I had to excuse myself to the couple next to us when standing up because I couldn't do so without brushing against their table.
I've scored the Hotel 'average' when it should have at least been 'very good'. unfortunately, the things that stick in our minds are the things I've mentioned above.
Sharper management and a re-think of the restauarnat required post haste.

Room Tip: Not number 17
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mortgagemiser

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Can't fault this hotel - most amazing location, food, service, rooms - just perfect. We spent an amazing weekend here in May and there is really nothing that could have been done to make the weekend any more amazing - helps that we got engaged here as well! Such a wonderful place - dinner, drinks and breakfast were all absolutely amazing as was the standar dof our rooms and the bar/restuarant and outdoor areas. Such a beautiful location to make such special memories. The staff even got us an engagement card! Can't wait to visit many more times!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank leeds_social
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Stayed for one night whilst touring the Cotswolds. It's a beautiful little village and the Swan is a lovely hotel. It is tastefully decorated and clean. My room did not have a very good view (I did ask for one but view was out to the back) but did have a HUGE bathroom. I had dinner in the restaurant and it was excellent, as was the incredible breakfast the next morning. I did have one problem - the people in the room opposite me obviously had a dog with them. During the evening the dog was barking constantly from about 19.00 to 19.30hrs and this was probably because it had been left on its own in the room as after I heard people returning it went quiet. Whilst annoying I was just watching TV then and so was not a huge issue. However, I was not feeling well and went to bed early at 21.00 but just as I was just nodding off the dog started barking again and did so for quite a while. In the end I had to call down to reception to complain and the man who answered the phone could even hear the dog barking down the phone! The matter was resolved when someone went back to the room and the dog stopped, so the hotel did deal with the complaint, but unfortunately by then my sleep was disturbed for the rest of the night. Next morning when I checked out they asked me if everything was OK so I did say about the dog barking, it turns out the man checking me out was the one on the phone the night before. They did apologise but didn't offer any kind of recompense for a disturbed nights sleep, sadly. (Premier Inn would!) Perhaps they should consider this, after all they are taking a risk accepting dogs in the hotel, especially if it affects other customers. I don't have an issue with dogs at a hotel but I do when it means I can't sleep! Anyway, that aside I would stay there again for sure as it was a lovely place and they did deal with the problem immediately. The breakfast was top notch!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank TravellingTree
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My wife wanted a short stay some where so booked the Swan Bibury for two nights as my brother
lives close by on arrival we were greeted and give a room at the front over looking river although the road is in front of hotel very little noise we had a walk round the village and fish farm lovely very peaceful. The evening meal was excellent as was the service breakfast was excellent very good selection bacon great nice to eat fresh produce in all our stay was great will go again but for longer as its great base to use to visit the cotswald well done

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank stvclark47
Reviewed January 27, 2014

my husband and i have just returned from a sublime sunday break at the hotel.The setting is perfect very quintisential!The hotel was clean tasteful decor and staff very friendly and attentive.We had sunday lunch inc in our booking.A lovely meal good size portions we didnt need any thing else for the remainder of the day!The breakfast was equally plentiful and tasty.Albeit its a 4star hotel it is not at all stuffy and staff were so attentive and helpful.i think if you dont enjoy your stay here youre quite hard to please!we shall be back,although alot of people said it gets extremely busy in the summer months so maybe low season is best!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank mumski836
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My companion and I have had lunch at The Swan many times over the last 3 years and we are never disappointed. We always eat in the Bar as we prefer the ambience: comfy chairs, cushions, big roaring fire!

The food is truly delicious. One pays a bit more for quality but I would not say it is extortionately priced.

We are definitely going back.... I just booked a B&B and dinner package in Feb for his birthday!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We recently stayed for one night just to get away from it all. We booked directly with the hotel rather than late rooms and got a far better deal. Basically for £5 less we got a three course meal on top of late rooms price. So definitely recommend trying the hotel first. My only and major issue was the size of the portions of food and the price of the drinks. Now, it could be said that compared with late rooms I was infact getting the food for nothing so anything was value. This is of course not true and I expected more than two plate (not) fuls of not much for starter and mains. It was very tasty but minuscule in portion size. The drinks were also dear. However, this aside the staff were lovely and the room was nice. I may opt to return one day but would go up the road to the other pub for dinner.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bibury
Barnsley House
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
Kings Head Hotel
Kings Head Hotel
#2 of 8 in Cirencester

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!