“Comfortable, clean and convenient”

Holiday Inn Express Colchester
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dedham
West Sussex
“Comfortable, clean and convenient”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel as our room only cost £50 for the night including breakfast so I wasn't expecting anything that great.

The location isn't beautiful but go one mile down the road and you are in the thick of beautiful Dedham. The staff were all very polite but I have to mention the Canadian woman on the reception desk who was really genuinely friendly and delivered fantastic customer service. My first impressions were really good and we were made to feel comfortable straight away.

Our room was clean, the bed was comfy and the hotel was quiet even on a Saturday night. The bar prices are quite expensive but then most hotel bars are. We didn't go to the restaurant but we did have breakfast. It wasn't anything special but it was definitely adequate although the choice was limited in terms of hot food. But considering it was free I thought it was of a good standard.

I would definitely recommend staying here, it was really great value for money and we had no complaints at all.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Nightshade21,

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. I know our Canadian lady Tamara will be so pleased she has got a mention on tripadvisor. I cannot thank you enough for your kind words, I hope we serve you again in the near future.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Express Colchester for your future travel needs.

Ashley Walker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Norwich
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed for 1 night Great hotel clean and comfortable. We had a interconnecting room which the kids loved as they got own tv plus the rooms were nice and spacious. Service was efficient and stay was great value for money even got breakfast included.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear LK2015 ,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Holiday Inn Express Colchester. I appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn Express Colchester a leader in excellence.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future. Thank you for choosing IHG.

london
Reviewed May 7, 2014

On arrival at this hotel which is tucked behind a shell petrol station we were greeted by cigarette butts all over the floor at the hotel entrance. On check in the man behind reception had difficulty understanding that I wanted to check in for one of the rooms out of the five our group had booked. My husband mentioned to the senior member of staff at reception about the unsightly cigarette butts and was informed that smokers did not put the butts in the ashtray provided and the hotel was short staffed and unable to clean up. The hotel public areas were clean and tidy (with the exception of the cigarette butts) we had booked a family room which sleeps up to 2 adults and 2 children the room was clean with shower (no bath) but we knew this would be the case only 2 sets of towels 1 large 1 small were provided extras were provided promptly as well as extra pillows. The sofa bed mattress is not very comfortable you could feel the springs, the mattress on the double was far too soft for my liking. Apart from the hanging space with hangers provided there are no shelves or drawer to put your clothes. Tea and coffee facilities provided. Room has a Flat screen TV, full length mirror and table. Breakfast was adequate, I found it strange that there was eggs,beans and sausages but no bacon! in the hot section, yoghurt, bread to make your own toast, pastries, juices and hot drinks. This hotel is in the middle of nowhere the nearest pub/restaurant is a car ride away. A taxi into Colchester cost between £12-£15.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sunbedqueenlon,

Thank you for contacting the Holiday Inn Express Colchester regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the disappointing arrival feeling, I have no excuse for the cigarette butts, our team members should have swept these up prior to check in and I am sincerely sorry.
The hotel is unable to offer bacon due to IHG’s brand standards of only offering 3 hot items of sausages, egg and beans.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

General Manger
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2014

The hotel was clean, as was the room. There wasn't much choice at breakfast with regards to hot food. There was no staff there to supervise breakfast. Apart from one or two staff members wearing name badges, you could not tell who were staff and who were guests. The staff did not wear uniforms, which we thought very odd.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Catrina B,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Holiday Inn Express Colchester. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay. The breakfast is our brand standard and I’m sorry you felt there wasn't enough offering; I shall forward your comments onto our IHG owners to review.

General Manger
North Wales
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I think I've said it all above. Stayed as a family with teenage daughter and elderly parents, paying £52 per room. The website's a bit confusing so I'd booked 2 twin rooms and they had allocated us rooms on different floors. When I requested a change to be closer, we were offered an adjoining double and twin - perfect, and very helpful. Bathrooms were clean and spacious, beds comfortable and it was quiet at night although we were overlooking the carpark and A12. Breakfast included is absolutely fine. Would definitely stay again when returning to Colchester as it's better value than the Premier Inn, and quieter.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Juditt_sansom,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Holiday Inn Express Colchester. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay and your wonderful comments.

East Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Lovely hotel in terms of decor and very quiet despite being near a busy road. Back of hotel has rural views. Cleaning of the bathroom needed attention - lots of built up grime that could do with an overnight bleaching. WiFi was very hit and miss and only in the public areas - as soon as I drove down the road coverage on public network was better. Staff were not especially customer focused.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Derbymum,

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature regarding our hotel and decor. It’s a shame to hear about our bathroom and customers service. I shall defiantly be looking into both matters as cleanliness and attention to our valued customers is very important to us for a relaxing environment.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2014

The hotel and facilities were all great and majority of all staff were fantastic except for one. His name was Ani, he was absolutely ridiculous in serving us when we checked in. He actually threw the key at me. He was not even dressed properly. My daughter said. "mum why is that u man in his pyjamas?" I had no.answer as I myself thought they were. I believe customer service is vital especially in a hotel industry and I really think that he is letting the team down as his behaviour towards customers is disgusting. I must say rest of the staff were fantastic.

• Stayed April 2014
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Kelsey05,

Thank you for contacting the Holiday Inn Express Colchester regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the lack of customer service received from one individual team member.
We pride ourselves on taking great care of our guest and it’s extremely disappointing to read. There is no excuse I can make about poor customer service except your above comments have already been addressed and the pyjamas were chefs wear.

Ashley Walker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dedham
Holiday Inn Colchester
Blue Ivy Hotel
#7 of 23 in Colchester
Dragonfly Hotel Colchester
Best Western Marks Tey Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Colchester? Share your experiences!