“Sleepless in Colchester” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dedham
Swanley
“Sleepless in Colchester”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Such a shame ..room superb badly let down by staff. Drunken yobs kicking off at 2/3am in the morning in the room below kept us awake, had to ring reception twice to get any action. In the morning the duty manager claimed to be waiting to deal with them. Ordered a beer and coffee at the bar area for the barman/receptionist to walk away and deal with a customer at reception and left me with my drink and the wife waiting for hers. We are riority club members and feel badly let down.

Room Tip: Try Premier Inn they are more responsive and 'Guarrantee' a goods nights sleep.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear SweatySock1
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to other guests keeping you awake during your stay with us.

Our Night Porter does a security walk every 2 hours around the Hotel. I would have liked to have known when you stayed as I could have investigated the matter further. I will of course bring this to the attention of our Night staff and remind them that this kind of activity does interfere with other guests staying with us.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Express, Colchester for your future travel needs.

Ashley Walker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Blackwood, Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here for one night, while waiting to pick my son up from the airport. This was my 2nd stay at a Holiday Inn Express in 8 days [previous stay was in Cambridge]. My room was spotlessly clean, once again, with immaculate bathroom, large comfy bed and spacious sized room. Television picture in my room was good and sharp unlike the fuzzy images you can get in some hotels. Checking in staff were pleasant, helpful and friendly, letting me into my room slightly early, which was nice as I'd been up most of the night. Although the hotel was full in the night my room was quiet and peaceful. Breakfast was the usual Holiday Inn Express formula [why don't they allow each hotel to give some variation on the standard menu?], filling and satisfying but a little monotonous. I'd stay here again, no problem. If I had to be critical then I'd have to say the location is quite a way out of Colchester and difficult to spot if travelling north on the A12 towards Ipswich; the sign is not visble. You have to leave the dual carriageway, pass under and come back down the other side.

Room Tip: Room 162 was quiet, right at the end of the 1st floor. Keep your eyes peeled for the hotel if trave...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank RonObvious
Dear RonObvious,
We really do appreciate our guests taking the time to write such positive reviews on such public forums.
We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms and our customer service to ensure the guests have a pleasant stay with us. We do listen to our guests and the fact that they let you in your room earlier is really pleasing to hear, as we want our guests to be as comfortable as possible. What seems like such a small request or something as little as the clarity of the television can make a big difference to a guests stay with us.

As I have mentioned on Trip Advisor before, we really are pushing hard for our road signs to be implemented sooner rather than latter, it is a slow battle but we are hopefully getting closer to that resolution.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here for a few nights and were very pleased!

The accommodation very agreeable, our room was lovely and very quiet. The bed was very comfortable and we had a choice of hard or soft pillows. Complimentary tea and coffee in the room was very welcome, and it was nice to have a couch to relax on in the evening whilst watching TV.

The bathroom was spacious, the shower was very roomy! Additional complimentary items were available at reception which was useful as we had forgotten a few bits!

The breakfast buffet was ideal, warm and cold foods and a wide range of different teas and coffees. The eating area was light and there were TVs and WIFI areas too.

Staff were very friendly and accommodating.

We had our toddler with us and found the hotel to be very child friendly. We received extra towels for example, and she had a high chair at breakfast.

In our travel party we had a disabled family member and it was great there were so many disabled parking spaces. He did not need a disabled-friendly room but we were offered this which was great.

This hotel is exceptional value for money, especially as the extensive buffet breakfast is included in the price. We will go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear JM,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel on Trip Advisor. We really do appreciate the time guests take out of their day to express their positive experiences with us on such a public forum.

I will be showing your review to staff as a reminder of the great customer service they give really does have an impact on our guests.

We hope we have the opportunity to have you stay with us again in the future.

Thank you again for your great review of the Holiday inn Express Colchester.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

A family stay at the Holiday Inn Express was booked to attend a funeral. From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly and professional and all staff throughout could not have been more helpful. Reception and bar staff made us feel very welcome and offered friendly help and service, even asking if we wanted anything more from the breafast buffet before closing up. A relaxed stay was just what we needed. Thank you to all. This hotel is very much recommended and this is what we have found at other Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express hotels too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Yvonne,

Thank you for talking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Colchester. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn Express a leader in excellence.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future. Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Colchester.

Lowestoft, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at the holiday inn January 2013 for four nights - I found the room was large and very comfortable as was the bed in which I slept soundly, the bathroom had a lovely big roomy shower and the towels were changed daily. The hotel was clean and staff were friendly and helpful. However, I did have to ask for more tea, coffee and milk for my room on the third evening as they were not refilled during my stay. The food was quite expensive for what it was, the menu did not vary and seemed to run out of supplies regularly. Breakfast also never varied, and consisted of a continental style breakfast, tinned fruit (Grapefruit and Mandarins) and an 'English' breakfast of sausages, scrambled egg and beans, although on one morning there were no sausages and it took a while before the there were more and the beans and scrambled eggs which were running low were refilled...not good when most of the guests were waiting to get off to work for the day. There was little noise from the A12 that runs by the hotel, and the parking was good. There never seemed to be many staff on duty at any one time and in the evenings they appeared rushed as they manned the reception, bar, brought out guests meals and cleared tables. Having said that overall the hotel suited my needs at that time, and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hotel do not get a signal for mobile phones but on the front of the hot...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your review regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I am glad to hear you found the hotel comfortable and had a sound sleep. I apologise that your room was not re stocked with tea and coffee, this should be the case and I will let our housekeeping manager aware of this.

Our Breakfast is Brand Standard consisting of continental breakfast with 3 hot options, of course our guests should not be kept waiting for a long period of time while items are replenished. Items that have run out should have a display on them to advise our guests they are cooking and on the way. We will look further into this and find out what exactly happened with missing items etc during your stay.

We appreciate your comments regarding the menu never changing and we have put this to our chef, who has taken your comments on board and will be changing menus more frequently.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel before I thought I would give it the guest treatment of looking into every nook and cranny. The hotel is just out side colchester and next to the busy A12 London to Ipswich dual carriage way. The was no noise from the road and the room was quite close to the road. Guest noise was non exisistant even though we (the Wife and I) stayed over the new year. Breakfast is buffet style and was freshly cooked. You have a choice of Continental or English or both if inclined, There are coffee makings in the room which was comfortable although the bed was very soft and felt like a water bed, I preferred a firmer matteress. Evening meals are provided and are adequate. Bar prices are on a par with the local pubs prices. If you use a sat nav bedware that at the end of the journey it will tell you to "turn left and you have reached your destination" this is WRONG, Turn right head for the A12 and at the end of the road take the slip road to the filling station and look left and the Hotel is on your left. Overall I found that the staff are attentive and customer orientated with out being obtrusive. Would I stay again yes. One thing to note is that there is free WiFi in the lounge but it is not free in the room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mick

Thank you for your review. We really do appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your positive experience during your recent stay. .

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature, we really do aim to make our guests want to stay with us and as comfortable as they can be outside of their own home.

Kind regards,

Craignure, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here at the beginning of December. Our room was clean and spacious. The bathroom beautiful with a huge shower. The breakfast were great the only bug bear I had was the water stains on the cutlery. The hotel was clean and the staff very friendly and welcoming. Plenty of parking. Handy for Colchester only a short drive to the town. I had expected to get road noise from the A12 but there was none. We were visiting family and friends as we do every year. We will be back.

Room Tip: We had room 42 very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Linda B,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

We are always pleased to acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our efforts and takes the time to write a review. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn Express Colchester a leader in excellence.

Ashley Walker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dedham
Premier Inn Colchester (A12) Hotel
Dragonfly Hotel Colchester
Wivenhoe House
Wivenhoe House
#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe

Been to Holiday Inn Express Colchester? Share your experiences!