“Saved our saturday night.”

Holiday Inn Express Colchester
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dedham
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Booked this place on price. Having read read some reviews we decided to eat out and spent a stressfull hour driving around full restuarants in the area before booking in, we were pleasantly surprised, a clean, well lighted, uncrowded bar where we had some good food and service. It was much better than a half hour queue at beefeater.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We really do appreciate feedback from our valued guests.

We have recently changed our menu and to have comments regarding the items on it is important as we like to change it to keep our guests happy and well fed.

We really look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Colchester

Reviewed September 29, 2012

What a lovely place to stay.Staff so helpfull,rooms lovely and clean.Iam disabled and they made my stay so easy.Thet even gave my carer an adjoining room totally free of charge.So much cheaper than staying in Ipswich but just 10 mins from there.Yet the rooms so much cheaper.I paid £44 per night with a free breakfast.Same type of hotel in ipswich,£70+ with no breakfast.You do the maths :0) My only gripe is the food(not the breakfast) My advice is eat before you get there.Food is over priced and in my opinion frozen microwaved rubbish.Burgers are awful ,the curry so hot I couldnt eat it and the lasagna almost a child sized portion and microwaved from frozen.But overall a lovely place to stay.Staff couldnt do enough for us .All were friendly polite and very helpfull.

Room Tip: If disabled make that clear when reserving the room.If a carer travelling with you also make that ve...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank DEBORAH H
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I will start with the bad points:
Breakfast. I was not impressed. Solid scrambled egg (cold on one day). The cheapest sausages money can buy, & the worst part NO BACON (Cooked breakfast with no bacon) Really???. I didnt try the beans.I did inquire why. I was told It is because they are Holiday Inn express. The receptionist didnt seem to understand when I asked "Express? Does bacon take longer then?".
I didn't see any cereal. There was no honey to have with my yogurt.

The room was very clean and bathroom modern. I stayed in a twin room.The bed did feel as though it was about to collapse. The WIFI was £6.00 a day and didnt work. So i had to plug in. with the fly lead. Which went on to charge me another £100 for 3 days. This was corrected at check out after a debate. But did not refund the £18 for 3 days WIFI. Which wasn't wifi.

There is plenty of parking. The satnav did take me to close the hotel, but not exactly. I looked at the location on google maps before arriving, so I knew the hotel is next to the petrol station.(Shell garage at the time of writing).
Would I stay here again. Hmmmmm All I say is. If there was any hotel close by with pricing close to this. I would go there. As I have to stay in this part of Essex/Suffolk quite often, I will look elsewhere in future. Rooms good. breakfast and wifi- not good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Jondiver,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns via Tripadvisor. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at the hotel, I would like to thank you for providing your feedback. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in a Holiday Inn near Gatwick earlier this year & was not best pleased with it.
I thought I'd give the chain another go especially as this hotel was new & had good reviews.
Finding the hotel was difficult as the sat nav directed us to a field nearby not the actual hotel-to which someone angrily told us where to go as I don't think we were the first people to end up at their field.
Pro..
As per the other reviews, the hotel is very clean & rooms are spacious & modern.

Cons..
Lots of noise from other guests during the night
Most uncomfortable bed EVER! Such a shame that they invest in cheap beds when the whole point of staying in a hotel is getting a good night's sleep!
No breakfast left we went down (45 mins before breakfast ended)..there was NO EGGS NO CEREAL NO BREAD..what a waste of time.
The area where the food was kept was dirty looking with food dropped on the counters-no staff wiped down the surfaces.
I will never stay in a Holiday Inn again..as my third time in one may even be worse than the previous two!!

• Stayed: August 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear silversurfer13,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I appreciate that you found our property very clean and our rooms modern. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations, and I apologize you were not satisfied specifically with the bed as well as breakfast. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 20, 2012

One night stay, Location .A12 Denham . Great place to stay ,Rooms are of excellent size and decor,....bed very comfy and shower ,great.....Breakfast is very good ,Staff helpful .
most of all tremendous value.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jambo007
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I was visiting the area and thought I'd use this hotel instead of one in Colchester or Ipswich. It's tucked away behind the Shell petrol station on the southbound A12 between Ipswich and Colchester but I found it OK by following the directions on the hotel webpage. Check in was very efficient and fast. The staff on the desk were friendly and smiley. The whole place seemed spotlessly clean and shiny and new. My room was excellent. The shower cubicle was very large. Fixtures and fittings were a good quality. Plenty of parking and I found my room was quiet (could hear background traffic noise from A12 with window open but didn't disturb me at night with window shut). Breakfast was OK - buffet style with the usual hot and cold items. Only amenity within walking distance is the Shell garage shop but not a problem for me. Overall, very impressed. Friendly, helpful staff, good service, lovely room, very clean, good value. Will stay here again when next in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here as an overnight stop to our honeymoon, the holiday inn is off the A12 but set right back from it so really quite. The service was exceptional from start to finish, we had a light hot food snack which was a good price, nice seating area and nice surroundings. The room was state of the art so clean and comfortable and cosy will defy stay here again, the rates were superb we paid 50pound for an overnight stay including breakfast which is really nice the room could easily get 80pound plus a night and still be worth it. We will deff be returning again :)

• Stayed: September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dedham
Holiday Inn Colchester
#7 of 23 in Colchester
Wivenhoe House
Wivenhoe House
#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe

Been to Holiday Inn Express Colchester? Share your experiences!