“Great place for a Summer evening”
Review of Dedham Boathouse

Dedham Boathouse
Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Dedham
Cuisines: European
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband surprised me yesterday evening and took me out to dinner at one of our favourite restaurants - The Dedham Boathouse. Make sure you book, they get very busy. We have been a few times and it never disappoints. Although the outdoor area is very shaded (some may welcome this) it was beautiful sat by the river looking across the meadow beyond. As the evening became cooler, the outdoor heaters took the chill off the air. It was busy with other diners from couples to groups of ladies, which in the spacious outdoor area, created a pleasant ambience.

The menu - mmmmmm! The Summer menu is so hard to choose from with seasonal dishes all sounding so appealing and refreshing; and we love the idea of 'sharing' starters. The puddings looked equally as tempting, but after a shared starter and a main each, we couldn't eat anymore. Both our meals were presented attractively, absolutely delicious and very well priced. We have been to many pubs and paid much more for food not nearly as good.

The wine menu also spoilt for choice with 'summery' wines on offer such as the Pinot Grigio Rose which is always a favourite of mine on a summer evening and Sancerre Rose as well as a 'wine of the month'.

We finished our meal with coffees and, as usual at the Boathouse, it was served with little Amaretti biscuits - nice touch.

The service was friendly and very attentive without being intrusive and even though they were busy, it didn't make any difference to the time it took for our food to arrive. We will look forward to the next time we can go back.

1  Thank Harvad

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Don`t touch the terrible sardines in this restaurant, they were pickled and covered with bacon and soggy! My husband and friends all felt sorry for me when I chose this course and wanted me to sit on another table because the smell was so awful. Even though it went back to be recooked I couldn`t touch it. We didn`t have to pay for this single meal, but if they had tried it before hand it would never have been served up. Because everyone else was eating, I had to make do with chips!

Disappointed, we have had good meals previously, but its becoming expensive unless you chose the sardines!

1  Thank Carol1093738
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Second visit here and it is still as good as ever. The setting by the river is amazing. Wasn't warm enough to sit out on the evening we visited, but sat next to the window gazing at the fab views. The food is lovely and the staff really nice and helpful. Will be visiting again when next in the area.

2  Thank cheshirerover
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We went on the recommendation of TripAdvisor and we were not disappointed. The setting was beautiful especially on one of the hottest evenings of the year. The service was quick and friendly and the food was delicious. I somewhat over did it on my duck fest with starter and main but they were both original and yummy! Would not hesitate to go back.

1  Thank Lems63
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I've eaten in a few restaurants in and around Dedham and must say this place is not only set in a beautiful location the food was amazing with large portions, the service was second to none, A nice warm comfy welcome and visit would recommend to all.

1  Thank Rocketman5278