“Bumptious Boathouse”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Eight of us went for lunch and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. A very busy restaurant - and rightly so - so one needs to book in advance. This is in a beautiful location - right on the side of the river in the heart of Constable country; an idyllic spot on the edge of a really traditional Essex village.
Excellent service, a delightful menu and a good wine list with fairly reasonable prices. The house red proved to be delicious.
During the week there is a 3 course tasting menu at £12.95 per head with a choice of 3 dishes for each course. We all had different options and no-one complained at all - each of us thought our dishes were delicious.
In good weather there must be some great outdoor seating but we had everything from sun to rain to hail within the space of two hours. We were inside so no problem.
Any complaints - one; no draught beer or any beers of special merit.
Otherwise a lovely experience all round - 4+ without a doubt

There are newer reviews for Dedham Boathouse

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Visited the Boathouse as part of a birthday celebration, the food was very good the atmosphere was good and the staff very attentive.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Very nice place in the summer as you can get a drink and ice cream from a outside kiosk and sit on a outside bench and watch what's going on around,it is very pleasant by the water and is great that they have boats outside to row down the Dedham river which is peaceful and nice scenery will be coming back!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Despite having been to Dedham many times through the years to visit friends we have never eaten at The Boathouse. What a pity we have been missing out so heavily. As its name suggests it is on the riverside and I am sure even more special and enjoyable in the summer months. So, on this our first visit, we were welcomed very warmly and immediately shown to our table, the ladies were grateful to be near the radiator as the day was clearly beginning to chill off. We were quickly settled and given menus and asked about "drinks". As I prefer not to review a menu without a glass in my hand I was delighted when the chosen wine was soon brought to our table. We were certainly not rushed to make our selection from what is a relatively short menu but very adequately provides a good variety of dishes to give sufficient choice. The portions are a very good size and smaller appetites could easily be satisfied with two starters. I am increasing reluctant to order steak these days as I have been disappointed so often but my choice last evening was very tender, extremely flavoursome and for once was actually served rare as I had ordered. My wife's lamb dish was to a similar high standard. The wine list provided a good choice and are not over priced for a restaurant of this standard but there are more expensive top end ones should you wish to "splash out". It is a high standard restaurant with a relaxing and non stuffy service. Whilst cost was not a problem I was very pleasantly surprised at what I considered a modest total for such an enjoyable evening. We look forward to visiting our friends again!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The ambiance of this restaurant in the evening is truly relaxing, with the low lighting and candles on the table. The staff are friendly, helpful and attentive. The food is well presented and cooked to perfection. The price is very good given the excellent quality.
They open for lunch and dinner Tuesday to Saturday and for lunches only on a Sunday.
They are closed on a Monday. You can book a table by phoning 01206 322232 and can also visit their website www.dedhamboathouse.co.uk for further information/details of the menus.

A lovely dining experience. Each time I visit I find something new to try. I have never been disappointed and can't wait to return.

From Easter to September you can also hire boats out to row on the river, and tea and ice creams are available.