“Delicious food in a lovely tucked away gem”
Review of Landgate Bistro

Landgate Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Landgate Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 111 Restaurants in Rye
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We had a really delicious meal. The lamb cooked three ways was fantastic. But the real winner was the 3-courses for £20 deal (wed and thu only) which was outstanding. The quality of the food was not hindered by the price.

Attentive and friendly staff. Staff were very accommodating when we arrived with a sleeping baby in a push chair, ensuring we had an appropriate table with enough space.

Highly reccomended.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

The title says it all! My husband and I are staying in Rye for a few days and decided to try this Bistro - we have visited Rye many times over the years but never dined here before. The whole experience as superb! The service was excellent - it was a quiet evening with just 5 couples and a party of 4. For most of the time the owner was the one serving but there was no sense of rush and nothing was too much trouble. The freshness of the menu shines through - we both had the creamed mushrooms on toast as a starter freshly picked that morning and I can honestly say I have never eaten such delicious and fully flavoured ones in my life. My husband had the leg & breast of Gressingham duck with celeriac gratin and baby turnips. I chose roast Romney marsh Lamb presented three ways with baby carrot, beans & potato gratin. Both main courses were beautifully presented and meltingly tender, full flavoured and delicious. The Bistro has a good selection of wines from round the world and although we didn't have any the dessert menu looked equally delicious. All in all a lovely and memorable dining experience.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

As locals, my wife and I have dined here on a couple of previous occasions. This time we took some friends who were visiting from London. I ordered the Breast of Pigeon with Port Reduction followed by Lamb cooked 3 ways then the Nut Parfait for dessert, all 3 dishes were excellent but the standout was definitely the Pigeon starter.
I'm afraid I can't remember what everyone else ordered but all had starters mains and desserts and none were disappointed.
Service can be a bit hit and miss here, the young waitress is keen and friendly but a tad inexperienced and needs a little training to offer serrvice to match the food - as mentioned by someone else, there should be efforts to assist customers rather than waiting to be asked. Also learn the value of scanning the room at regular intervals to check if anything is required.

Another minor bugbear is the lack of linen napkins, just a minor point but if you want to attract discerning diners then these little things sometimes make the difference!

All in all though a very good restaurant which we will continue to patronise.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

There was a problem with the wine - but the restaurant not only refunded the price but they sent their entire stock back to their supplier. Fantastic attention to the business!! Wish all were the same. Food? Service? Atmosphere? All as good as it gets!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The level of service and quality of food at the Landgate bistro was a very pleasant surprise. Initally we were greeted with a warm smile and this level of service continued throughout the meal. The menu is varied and the portions perfect size based more on quality! Would definitely recommend.

3  Thank peter h