“Great location but overpriced.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of White Vine House

White Vine House
Ranked #11 of 38 Rye B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great location but overpriced.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed here for one Friday night with my partner. As mentioned, great location and looks lovely and charming from the front. Also, a nice welcome and impressed with the history of the place. However it falls somewhere between a restaurant, B and B and hotel and I did feel that they were mostly focused on the Indian restaurant side of the business as opposed to the accommodation side.
The room we stayed in (2) whilst spacious was a bit dusty and could of done with a good clean/ refurbishment. The mattress was also a bit hard on the double bed. On the plus Biscuits and decent coffee maker/ tea filter was a good touch. In the bathroom however the toilet bowl had some yellow staining and the windows looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a while. In general it was a bit shabby. As mentioned by others I could almost let this go for one night, however for 140 I expect a hell of a lot more, which is also why I'm nit picking a bit more than usual. If you're gonna charge those kind of prices you've got the be able to deliver top notch service.
The breakfast was pretty good although they didn't have any lemon to go with the Salmon dishes. (Again not the end of the world, but when a lot of there breakfast dishes are Salmon, Lemon is pretty important).
The foyet area is unfortunately like an oven as you are right by the kitchen and I couldn't get away from there sooner. Also the balcony area in the back was a bit neglected and didn't seem like it was ever used, with no flowers etc or had being cleaned in a while. Again, not somewhere I wanted to hang around and this is another problem with the place in that is there isn't really anywhere to hang around (no bar) other than your room, although with its great location this wasn't really a problem (But again for 140, I'd of liked the option).
Had dinner in the Indian restaurant on the Friday eve. Pretty good starters and all is reasonably priced. Pigeon dish I had was great and the white chocolate samosa was tremendous. On the downside, the duck my partner had was completely overpowered by its chocolate sauce. I'm all for experimental cooking and is great when it works, however the chocolate was far too bitter and murdered any flavour from the duck. My pork dish was pretty good though, if a bit small and the service in the restaurant was 1st rate, which again made me think that we were staying in a restaurant with rooms as opposed to a hotel with a restaurant.
Anyways, certainly not terrible and the owners seemed friendly but again for 140, I don't think I'd ever stay there again. If it was around the ninety mark, I'd of been be far happier.

2 Thank Peteegan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Just had a weekend here with my partner, son and grand daughter. This is a lovely little hotel, (about eight rooms I think) the place is steeped in history, going back to 1300ad in parts. The room was big, comfy and had everything we needed. The real em here is Jared, the owner who is keen to look after everyone personally and made our stay especially pleasant. We didn't get to sample the restaurant which I know has a great reputation but this will change soon as we are already planning another trip without fussy kids! If the breakfast is an indication of the lunch and evening food then I know we are in for a treat. If you visit here, try the Eggs Benedict Royale for breakfast, the day can't start any better! Thanks Jared!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Me and couple of friends stayed at this fantastic hotel over the weekend and we were not disappointed one bit !! Javed and every member of his staff made us feel so accommodating !! The rooms were very large size in comparison to other hotels I have stayed at and have everything in it you could possibly want from iron to hairdryer and also little nibbles and treats and refreshments which was just a nice sentiment ! Breakfast was fantastic having many choices on the menu and really filled you up ! I would definately go back and stay there and wished I had stayed for longer !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Westcliff-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is our second time at the White Vine and we absolutely love it, Javed always looks after us and makes you feel welcome. The hotel is worth every penny (especially the breakfast you get) I cant recommend this hotel enough.

Amstelveen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I recently stayed in the family suite with my wife and two daughters. I thought it was expensive until we arrived there. The room was very large and on the second floor, where it was nice and quiet. There was a very comfortable extra-large bed and a bed for each of our girls. Having two en-suite showers was a great help in getting everyone downstairs for breakfast on time!

The room was also equipped with iPod docks and enough televisions that our children could watch a film in their part of the room without disturbing us.

Breakfast was delicious with a great range to choose from. No big surprise that the girls especially enjoyed the pancakes with nutella! The hotel was very clean and the service from Javed and Judith was excellent, getting the perfect mix of being friendly, flexible and running the place in a professional manner. I had to have some documents printed and they did this without charging me. The free wi-fi worked well and was appreciated.

I enjoyed a good dinner in the restaurant (the Ambrette) with just my wife, as we were able to see our girls in the room thanks to the video monitors that were kindly provided (free of charge!). 
I’ve been in a lot of the large hotel chains but it was a very nice surprise to have this kind of service and all the extras included. No extra charge for using the credit card either. I have already booked another night there! As you guess from the review, we love the place!

Room Tip: for families definitely room 5. however if you get a chance without the kids then I'd say room 3
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

My friend and I like to treat ourselves to a weekend away now and again and this was our 3rd one and probably the most disappointing in terms of accommodation. We had very high hopes for this "hotel" having read many of the other reviews and in view of the cost. I'll start with the positives:
Great location, right on Rye High Street so fantastic for being able to mooch around the pretty little town of Rye and leave our cars in the very reasonable all day car park just down the road.
Javed and Judith were both very friendly and welcoming hosts.
The super king size bed in our room was very comfortable.
The toiletries provided in the bathrooms were nice and a selection of biscuits, chocolate bars and drink options were appreciated
Breakfast was excellent - nice choices on menu and what we had was very tasty and nicely cooked
Now for the negatives:
The "hotel" was accessed via the entrance into the restaurant and indeed a lot of focus seems to be on the restaurant with a table in the lobby area displaying all their awards etc. In this lobby there were some leather sofas so I presume it is meant to be some sort of lounge area for guests but it seemed to be the "back of house" area for the restaurant and was not private or at all appealing to sit in, really a wasted space. We had room 6 which was up the top of the house, although we appreciate it is an old house the area leading up to our room was very unattractive and unappealing with a boxed off area, dodgy wires and paintwork and a general air of neglect. Having been shown into the room one of the first things I noticed was a big yukky stain on the white sheets on the single beds. Mmmmm. Fortunately the super king size bed looked clean and big enough so that we could share it comfortably. There were 2 shower rooms, although some effort had been made to make these look "posh" the one room was quite small and dingy (which probably explained the glazed door which allowed in light but also ensured whoever was using that shower had no privacy). The other shower room was slightly nicer but overall the rooms had again an air of neglect, furniture was quite dusty and the "leather" sofa was not very appealing to sit on being squeezed into a tight corner. Furniture didn't match, the wrought iron theme of the beds and bedside tables fought with light wood mirrors, dark wood table for the tea-coffee making facilities and a pine wardrobe. There were no drawers anywhere in the room either. The bowl of milk cartons had biscuits and chocolate in which was a nice touch, but also some dust and bits and pieces - we had to wonder whether the room had actually been serviced since the previous people left it. Now none of this would have particularly bothered us had we been paying a reasonable room rate (although I do think cleanliness should be a given no matter what you're paying) but when you are paying £160 a night, yes £160 a night then I expect luxury, opulence and a cut above the average which this place really was not. I can only guess that because the room had 3 TV's, some IPOD docks and 2 shower rooms it was perceived as luxury, but to be honest I don't really go on holiday to watch TV! We had to re-read the reviews and we just could not understand why other people have found this place so amazing, the most honest and accurate review seems to be by the guy who says that this is really a restaurant with rooms.
When chatting with Javed as we booked out though we discovered he is possibly thinking of chucking it in and moving on so it may just be that he no longer has the interest and passion for this place that he once had, it certainly seems as though the restaurant is the main business here and the rooms are an incidental add on. Very disappointing as we had such high hopes from the reviews and from the price we paid :(

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Taffles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in room 3 - it was a very reasonable cost for the standard of the room -incredibly comfy bed (gorgeous four-poster) and beautiful roll-top bath - and a lovely breakfast (excellent choice and quality, and catered to preferences). Javed, the owner, was very helpful and friendly. It was a special event (babymoon prior to little arrival in September) and our stay at this hotel made it even more special. We both thoroughly recommend. And the associated restaurant on the ground floor, Ambrette, is also well-worth a visit - sure it won't be long until it's Michelin starred! Was a real gem and we're both so pleased we chose it, and will definitely be returning.
Alex and Dean, stayed 9/11/2013

Room Tip: We stayed in number 3 - but all looked lovely