“Mr & Mrs Smith at the Rye Scallop Festival”
Review of The George in Rye

The George in Rye
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Rye
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I took my husband here as an early bday present treat for him. I timed the stay with the Rye Scallop Festival, which was a week prior to Valentine's Day.

We stayed on Sunday for a night, our package was for a junior suite and included breakfast. The room was tucked towards the back of the property, so we were guaranteed peace & quiet. Our room opened to a tiny semi-private patio. Shame we didn't get to use the patio as the rain was still pelting it down. But a good option to have anyway. The room was spacious with good attention to detail. There was a chaise lounge with a luscious wool throw for those nippy, lazy afternoons when you wish to stay in and read. There was a couple of lovely heart-shaped lavender-filled petit cushions on our pillows. Tea Pigs, which we are partial to, were used for the in-room tea service. And I simply love the Ren toiletries!

I had a call the night before from The George, asking if we want to make a reservation for dinner, as guests we were given priority booking. Apparently The George Grill gets booked up rather quickly. I was not able to commit to dinner plans then so declined the offer. This courtesy call I thought that was a nice touch.

As with all grand plans, we can only plan so much but the weather was not in our hands. Sunday, being the last day of the Scallop Festival, was a very wet day. It rained heavily & relentlessly the entire day. And I decided at 3pm it best to have dinner at the hotel rather than wandering around aimlessly looking for a restaurant in town.

Unfortunately I was told the Grill was fully booked. I requested if they could squeeze us in even if it was an early dinner as it was my husband's bday. The staff was helpful and referred me to the Restaurant Manager, whom kindly accommodated us despite our late reservation.

The service at dinner was good, warm and attentive. The food was lovely too. In the spirit of the festival, I had scallops, which was beautifully presented and tasted very much so. The wine selection could not be faulted as well.

The Grill was indeed very busy that night. I was worried they might forget the dessert I requested for my husband's bday surprise. But thankfully they didn't :-)

After the lovely meal we headed of to Ypres Castle Pub for the Blues band gig that brought the very wet Rye Scallop Festival to a close.

The breakfast spread in the morning was tremendous. The presentation was fabulous, with poached pears in spices almost taking centre stage. The homemade yoghurts were simply wholesome and delicious with granola. The pastry selection was just sumptuous. My hubby had the full English while I opted for the eggs with soldiers. To be honest, I had a niggling suspicion he enjoyed his breakie more than his dinner!!

We left The George in Rye, very happy customers. For a Groupon deal, I could not fault it. Mr & Mrs Smith right in their review of The George.

1  Thank siddy_bolly

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We spent a Thursday night here on a Travelzoo deal, £139 for bed breakfast and dinner. The hotel is certainly a vast improvement since the last time I stayed, more than 10 years ago. It has been well refurbished and our room (no 42) was clean and comfortable if a little on the small size for a supposedly "superior" room. The bed was 5 foot wide with a very comfortable mattress and duvet. The "hospitality tray" contained a good selection of tea, a cafetiere and good-quality ground coffee. The bathroom was spacious and well appointed with a good "waterfall" shower, dressing gowns and plenty of white fluffy towels. The only complaint about the room (and this applies to lots of hotels) is that the designer has forgotten that women (my wife included) like to use a mirror and a hair dryer simultaneously: is it too much to ask for a 13 amp socket close to a light and a mirror? If Premier Inns can manage it, so can everyone.

Dinner was a bit of a letdown: my wife had the meze to start with, which was beautifully presented, but completely lacking in flavour. I had scallops, which were tasty but lukewarm. My ribeye steak and frites were good, but my wife's lamb managed to be both overcooked and, again, lukewarm. The mixed salad was drenched in an over-vinegared vinaigrette. The less said about the apple and rhubarb crumble, the better. The wine list was good and reasonably priced. Service was good. At breakfast the following morning, we both had poached pears to start with (novel at breakfast, but delicious) and I had the cooked breakfast, which was very good. Unfortunately, my wife's eggs Benedict had to be sent back as the Hollandaise sauce had far too much lemon in it, and was inedible.

Rye is a very pretty little town which we have visited many times, and the George is now probably one of the best places to stay in terms of accommodation. We would go again, but probably eat out at one of the many highly recommended restaurants in the area.

1  Thank Glenshiro
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I visited the George at Rye several years ago and was intrigued to see how much it had changed since its makeover. The answer was "quite significantly" the quaint old pub with rooms is now a lovely boutique hotel, still oozing character but with a very definite "oomph".

The hotel is delightful and, in the current climate, we were delighted to find it adequately and efficiently staffed with pleasant and friendly young people. We were shown to our room on the 1st floor, and were equally impressed with that. Gorgeously comfortable king size bed, bathroom with excellent shower and deep, deep bath! Soap, shampoo, moisturiser, all of excellent quality. Flannels, fluffy towels, dressing gowns, hairdryer, even an umbrella! Full tea and coffee provision. We are told to ask for anything we felt we might need if it had not been included. I should like to add that the hotel was spotless.

The bar has a magnificent open log fire which gives it a homely and comfortable atmosphere. The restaurant is excellent, the menu good and the food 10 out of 10.

We only stayed one night as my husband had a business appointment but we will certainly return for a longer break when the weather is slightly better than blizzard conditions!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2 ( I think) and, yes, we could hear people walking above, but this is a historic...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hi, I have been holding off on writing this review as I had hoped to get my money back, or at least half of it back, but instead I've been offered a voucher that I can't use. This hotel looks the part on the website, and even when you arrive it's cosy, if a little bursting at the seams with people.We booked this hotel based on the reviews on here and the website. We haven't been away since our baby girl was born 18 months ago.THis was supposed to be a real treat. We stayed in Suite 1, yes the one that costs £350 a night. The room was dark, dirty and so noisy. It's right next to the street, so rather than being "slightly secluded from the others" it's actuallu right next to the road and the delivery. We were kept awake until 12am by noisy cars and pub go'ers, then woken up at 5am by a delivery, oh not to mention the noise from the room above. I'm sure they weren't being noisy, but the ceiling felt like it was going to fall in whenever they moved. We woke up and asked to be moved, they said we are very busy but can move you to our Miamis suite; it's vomit coloured but we said yes, because this was actually away from others and secluded. We walked in and when I jumped on the bed, I was showered with dust from the light fitting. I complained 5 times before the room was cleaned. Not good enough, again, 350 quid a night. How can you charge this amount of money for a dirty room. The bathroom too was freezing cold and the thermostat wouldn't shift beyond 18 degrees. By this point I had lost the will to complain and the phone in the room didn't work anyway. We stayed and left first thing in the morning. This is the most overpriced and dissapointing hotel I have ever stayed in. They think they are all that and they arne't. THey need to realise they are a bed and breakfast pub, not a five star hotel.
In relation to room service, forget it. The kitchen don't talk to reception. We were told we couldn't order between 5 and 6pm, yet the room servicer menu said all day. We then tried to order at 6pm and were told we coudln't as the menu had moved to dinner menu. We didn't fancy a three course meal, we wanted a burger. They did oblige with a burger from the local greasy spoon which was gross and cold. One thing I will say is this: the staff were friendly if totally useless, throughout. They offered me £30 back for my 700. Not happy. My sister in law was looking to get married there as was my best friend, we've since put them off.

Room Tip: Don't get a suite it's too expensive.
14  Thank 808RobinG
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over the weekend and were really impressed by the staff and the property. Reception looked busy when we arrived but we were checked in very swiftly and shown to our lovely room on the second floor. It was a cosy Queen Bedroom with a modern, cottagey finish and was certainly in keeping with the hotel and historic Rye generally. The bed felt soft when I first sat on it (I really like firm beds) but actually it was really comfortable and very luxurious - I particularly liked the little lavender filled pillows.
Dinner at The Grill was great, with a relaxed atmosphere and reasonably priced wine. Our meal was included with a Travelzoo deal but we were not made to pick from a different menu or hurried, and the food was delicious. We also had an aperatif afterwards and took a second one up to our room which wasn't a problem at all.
Breakfast in the morning was busy (we did feel for the waitress) but we weren't in a hurry and again the food was very well put together.
Would thoroughly recommend The George in Rye and are already hoping to head back some day soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in the most basic room (a Queen) and it was really lovely - although ours (room 5) did hav...
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I visited the George late February with my Boyfriend for two nights. We really enjoyed the stay and couldnt find fault with most things.

We stayed in Room number 32 which is lovely, all wooden, clean and fresh looking and surprisingly cosy. The bathroom was amazing with a big tin bath and lovely walk in shower.

The tea and coffee selection in the room seemed great although we did not touch it at all.

The only fault with this room is that it is in the Courtyard, late night / early morning thwir bins are emptied, including their bottle bins. This woke us up on both mornings between 4.30am and 6.00am which is a great shame. I am sure they can find a more convenient location for their bins. I am not one to complain so did not mention it on departure but I imagine so misery guts do.

The restaurant was excellent, you can see the chefs cooking the food from your table. I do have to agree with other reviewers who feel it is all a little bit chaotic...which it is. The waitresses were very nice but have no wine skills. On asking for a Zinfandel, the poor girl did not know what i was talking about. She then went and aksed what I assume is her manager who was also unaware of what a Zinfandel is. In the end I settled for a wine in which the waitress siad it was their house rose but was unsure of waht kind of rose it was...."its just a rose wine?"

All in all I would go back and I woudl recommend this hotel to friends and family!

Room Tip: Room 32, lovely room and bathroom. Massive tin bath!!
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Spent an over night stay at this hotel...in a Junior suite..which was different from what i was expecting...ie very modern & airy, but most enjoyable!

The staff were very helpful & pleasant....i was directed to the Hope Lane carpark, nearby, which was indeed £1.50 for an over night stay.

The breakfast was very hearty & again very enjoyable...i would definitely stay at this hotel again...love Rye...for a day or weekend visit....!

The only down side was arriving at 3pm..after a wedding party had been there the night before, & we were taken to our room, which wasn't ready at all...& other parties were in a similar situation!...we returned 45 minutes later & things had been sorted!

Room Tip: Really enjoyed the Junior suite..room 32.