“Lively Italian resturant”

Simply Italian
Ranked #23 of 114 Restaurants in Rye
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The simply Italian family is set in a Lovely 17th century mill! We have 2 floors in the main restaurant and yes it looks Italian as well! We alo have a great garden if you enjoy alfresco eating! Serving pizza and pasta and lots of specials! Very children friendly we love families we do so ome and be part of our family too! Let Maurice and all the family take care of and feed you while enjoying our lovely town of rye! Ciaoooooooo see you soon
Reviewed August 18, 2017

Simply Italian is a large converted warehouse on the Strand in Rye. This is a locally run chain with other restaurants in nearby towns and was very busy and bustling with people queuing for tables when we visited at 8 on a Friday night so you need to book. The table sizes are generous and reasonably spaced so it didn't feel crowded despite being so busy.

All the usual Italian favorites with some interesting specials featuring local fish. We stuck to garlic bread and pasta mains - my spaghetti with meatballs was very good. Portion sizes are generous - we didn't have room for deserts but they seemed very popular with the mainly local clientele. Very acceptable bottle of Italian Red.

There was a little wait for food as they were very busy but they warned us of that in advance.

Enjoyable experience and reasonable prices. The sort of place you would want for your local Italian and would use a lot.

1  Thank Andrew R
Write a ReviewReviews (1,243)

Reviewed August 16, 2017

Authentic Italian food family run restaurant. Excellent service and really good . Enjoyed lasagne and garlic bread all home made . Large variety of dishes to choose from . Great atmosphere and family friendly.

Reviewed August 15, 2017 via mobile

My family and I stopped here as it was one of the few nearby restaurants open before 6pm

Overall food quality was poor considering this was an authentic Italian my daughters Spaghetti Bolognese looked new Ok but on tasting it reminded me of my school dinner ladies effort, if that the standard anyone would hold to that's pretty sad. At best nothing better than a microwave meal quality from a mid range supermarket chain.

I ordered the steak, poor choice again poor cut of meat, asked for medium served well done. The fries were cold and looked lonely on the plate next to a piece of meat the shape of Sicily, the vegetables looked like they had freezer burn and they had ran out.

The children's ice cream arrived and tasted like it was from a value section, you could taste the freezer

Another couple ordered a pizza which looked nice, so I would suggest that's the way to go.

As a restaurant it was nicely decorated and staff reasonably friendly, the last restaurant I ate in were they didn't see if everything was alright was a McDonalds.

Waitresses started an activity but needed chasing on everything including bringing the card machine over!

6  Thank jd550
Reviewed August 14, 2017

We popped in here for lunch with the children, and all had a great meal.

The service was good, and all the staff are friendly and helpful. The food was very good and not terribly priced. The restaurant is an interesting old building (used to be a mill) and overall we had a fantastic time.

Food wise we ordered two pasta dishes, a pizza and a children's meal, we had two desserts and three drinks, and the bill came to £50 excluding service.

You can tell it was good as the children keep asking to go back!

Highly recommend.

Reviewed August 14, 2017 via mobile

We had the time of our lives in this lovely restaurant. The staff was very friendly, polite and extremely kind and the food was absolutely gorgeous from the start to finish (I can still taste my delicious tiramisu...).The restaurant was so full that we had to eat in the garden but we couldn't ask for a better place to be: Cozy and very romantic. Totally recommemd it. Would come back 1000 times!!!