“Will be coming back”

Webbe's at the Fish Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Webbe's at the Fish Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 108 Restaurants in Rye
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: If arriving by train - we are a short walk from Rye train station. If arriving by Bus, the main stop is near the railway station also, again short walking distance from us.
“Will be coming back”
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

I'll be honest I wanted to book the Tuscan Kitchen & couldn't get a table, the minute I arrived I wasn't disappointed I had three courses my wife had two a bottle of prosseco I had coffee couldn't fault any of it. A bill of £80.00 at the end, outstanding you will see me again.

Visited April 2013

Surrey
“Nice but catastrophic”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We had booked, and got, a table for two on a Friday night. The service was pleasant and timely, and most of the food was good.

Unfortunately however my wife and I will remember this as the fish cafe that can't do fish and chips. The cod in batter was rubbery, the chips were soggy, the mushy peas were watery, and we are prepared to believe that the tartare sauce was made by Dulux. The waitress attempted to defend this disaster by saying she had been present at 5.45 p.m. when the fish was delivered so it must have been ok. On her return from conveying our disappointment to the chef, we were informed that the cod must have been too fresh, and must still have been in shock from being caught.

Although the hapless cod dish was knocked off the bill, at the price we paid our patchy experience leads us to log this otherwise satisfactory establishment as one we shall give a miss in future.

London
“Lovely choice of fresh fish”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We went here last night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We could only get a reservation for 630pm as it was fully booked - so make sure you book ahead if you want to come as its obviously very popular. The fish was lovely, I enjoyed the scallops for starter and mixed fish for a main. My husband had the seabass for a main which was really tasty too. I had the Lemon asiette for a desert, which was but maybe a bit small for the price. My husbands white parfait with banana was really good too. The service was attentive.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Superb fish and a lovely restaurant”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

A delightful little restaurant with not too many tables. We sat near the kitchen area which is open plan so we could watch the food being prepared - it felt like being at the chef's table! The food was wonderful. I had some gorgeous scallops and a mackerel risotto, both of which were delicious. The bread was also very good, as was the wine. All round, fantastic!

Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Fish, fish, beautiful fish!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We had a delightful meal here on a chilly Easter weekend - the olives, home-made non-pink taramasalata dip and homemade crooked breadsticks were delicious and gave us a chance to peruse the menu properly. Husband had F&C which was hot, crunchy, tender and generous, with home-made mushy peas and tartare sauce. Scallop and potted crab starters were deeeeelicious, as was the sesame encrusted sea bass with oriental green veg. Wines were well chosen and a favourite reasonably-priced rose sparkling wine, Raboso, was a lovely start. Friendly and efficient service, a relaxed dining room with a varied clientele (e.g. plates of oysters and almost wriggling fresh seafood platters were devoured by a voracious large table of 20-somethings, and there was a huge table of a happy French family, but grandparents and couples of all ages also abounded) and clean loos such as these are always a plus (but rarely guaranteed these days). But 2 dishes were stand out - our children's grilled sirloin (medium and juicy but not dangerous) with mixed veg (cooked au point with a touch of butter and hand-carved like little long bullets - if you want a child to each courgettes, follow Webbe's lead and steam them and show them some butter!) and silky smooth pommes puree and gravy was superb value at £6.95 incl a drink and a dessert! I hate being insulted by poor quality and over-priced kids' menus - no wonder so many families with kids end up in reliable old PEx! We shared a grown-up chocolate and boozy cherry dessert - absolutely gorgeous and not at all sickly. If you don't like fish, and if our daughter's grilled sirloin is anything to go by, the adult version will be superb too! On that day it was served with a huge field mushroom stuffed with a local cheese on top of it and heaps of veg and gravy, and we saw several huge plates of it being served to smiling faces - so there's something for everyone I'm sure. Thank you very much Webbe's, we'll now make an effort to try your other 2 restaurants Hastings way and cookery school - I wish local suburban independent restaurants would learn from 'destination dining' places such as this and raise their game - BUT I suppose they simply don't have to bother, as too often suburban diners put up with mediocre over-priced rubbish that is served up locally to them (indeed us!), just because it's convenient!