“Went here as Green Man in Ringmer was full. Wish i had waited at Green Man !!!!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Ship - CLOSED

The Old Ship
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Lewes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I went to the Green Man in Ringmer as this place is amazing since new owner took over, unfortunately it had ten people waiting to even be served at the bar as it has now become so popular. I did not want to wait so i drove here and straight away you could see the place was empty despite being a country pub on a hot day. The service was slow, food a bit dear, and actual food was just cheap ingredients. When will these places learn if you serve good food you can charge these prices and people go back. Here it was expensive prices, cheap ingredients and i probably would not go back. This place is crying out for a good manager to grab the place by the scruff of the neck, and turn it round. For two pubs to be so close and yet so far apart is a real eye opener.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank technologycentre

London, United Kingdom
“Very good food in an old english pup”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We went there for lunch on 24/07/13 and sat on a table outside in the sunshine surrounded by beautiful gardens and flowers.
The pup is located halfway between Uckfield and Lewes in sussex.
The food served was of an excellent quality especially the fresh mussels.
We were served at our table by friendly and polite staff.
We were somehow surprised that the pup was very quite especially in a day like that.It couldn't have been the prices because the prices are reasonable compaired to similar places in the area.
Anyway we had a good time and enjoyed the food and drinks and the surroundings.

• Visited July 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Disappointed does not cover it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here on a hot sunday afternoon after the beach with 2 friends and a child. Staff were plesent. We ordered 3 adult meals and a childs. The steak was poor quality and over cooked. The gammon steak was a large slice of bacon and the childs fish and chips was a fish finger. Food was brought out to the garden eith no cutlery or condiments. We asjed and were told that they we inside. The guy then walked away. No one checked to see if everything was ok. It was not! Don't waist your money!

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dave M
“OK but 2 better pubs on the road”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Came in one Sunday just after the lunchtime rush as I saw it served food all day which is a real good idea! Not the usual 12-3..
I hadn't been here before so first impressions when walking in was its sooooo quiet.. there was a few people eating but the silence made it a very strange atmosphere, not what I had expected!
After a while the landlord did put music on but classic FM didn't help! Maybe just my preference.. but classical music in a quiet pub :-@
Also the pub looked a lot bigger from the outside as the layout was quiet narrow.
But did have a good garden.
We opted for the nachos to start with (very large portion :-) ) followed by a blackboard special 'fisherman's pie' with veg which was very good and plenty of fish in.
I had the steak which was cooked slightly more than I asked (medium rare) but disregarding this was enjoyable!
The service was good and the tables very clean!
Overall I felt the food was slightly costly for the pub especially when there's such a choice of 'food' pubs locally.
Given this fact I probably wouldn't return.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Great palce to eat and they look after my wheat free diet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I eat at this great Pub' as they are all too aware of dietary requirements and I can be assured that I will get a wheat free meal. I had delicious Scottish Mussels with home made chunky chips on Tuesday 21.05.13. My friend had a piece of Haddock with a succulent prawn sauce with attractive arrangement of a large Prawn draped over it and a piece of 'decoratively carved lemon' addorning it. Wow! Another winner. The food is good and the price of a meal is not to expensive. The interior is spotless and the musac if played is not intrusive. I don't bother trying other Pubs in the locality as their menu is too restrictive for me. The Old Ship had a change of name to the Stewards Enquirey a few years ago and under the ownership of Michael and his wife thay changed it back to it's orriginal name. Great place and a welcoming Landlord.

• Visited May 2013