“Disappointed does not cover it”
Review of The Old Ship - CLOSED

The Old Ship
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here on a hot sunday afternoon after the beach with 2 friends and a child. Staff were plesent. We ordered 3 adult meals and a childs. The steak was poor quality and over cooked. The gammon steak was a large slice of bacon and the childs fish and chips was a fish finger. Food was brought out to the garden eith no cutlery or condiments. We asjed and were told that they we inside. The guy then walked away. No one checked to see if everything was ok. It was not! Don't waist your money!

2  Thank Dave M
There are newer reviews for The Old Ship

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Came in one Sunday just after the lunchtime rush as I saw it served food all day which is a real good idea! Not the usual 12-3..
I hadn't been here before so first impressions when walking in was its sooooo quiet.. there was a few people eating but the silence made it a very strange atmosphere, not what I had expected!
After a while the landlord did put music on but classic FM didn't help! Maybe just my preference.. but classical music in a quiet pub :-@
Also the pub looked a lot bigger from the outside as the layout was quiet narrow.
But did have a good garden.
We opted for the nachos to start with (very large portion :-) ) followed by a blackboard special 'fisherman's pie' with veg which was very good and plenty of fish in.
I had the steak which was cooked slightly more than I asked (medium rare) but disregarding this was enjoyable!
The service was good and the tables very clean!
Overall I felt the food was slightly costly for the pub especially when there's such a choice of 'food' pubs locally.
Given this fact I probably wouldn't return.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I eat at this great Pub' as they are all too aware of dietary requirements and I can be assured that I will get a wheat free meal. I had delicious Scottish Mussels with home made chunky chips on Tuesday 21.05.13. My friend had a piece of Haddock with a succulent prawn sauce with attractive arrangement of a large Prawn draped over it and a piece of 'decoratively carved lemon' addorning it. Wow! Another winner. The food is good and the price of a meal is not to expensive. The interior is spotless and the musac if played is not intrusive. I don't bother trying other Pubs in the locality as their menu is too restrictive for me. The Old Ship had a change of name to the Stewards Enquirey a few years ago and under the ownership of Michael and his wife thay changed it back to it's orriginal name. Great place and a welcoming Landlord.

1  Thank JCB1132b
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stopped here on passing through and the staff were very friendy. The food was very acceptable but nothing exceptional. Prices were a little too high for this type of pub.but I guess for a place that serves food all day it is understandable. More places should serve food longer than the average 12-2/2.30 lunchtimes.

1  Thank soot30
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stopped at the Old Ship on a Sunday lunchtime in April 2013. I ordered a moules mariniere special, and my wife had a roast beef lunch.

The roast was poorly presented with very overcooked vegetables, mushy roast potatoes and beef that was nearly inedible.

The mussels that went into the moules mariniere were very good quality, which makes what the chef did with them even more disappointing. The mariniere sauce had been made without cooking out the wine at all, so the sauce ended up being very bitter. The sauce was then bulked up with about 1 litre of milk, and then directly served. Normally, the mainiere sauce is my favourite part of the dish, but in this case 2 spoons of the sauce persuaded me to stop.

My memory of this meal will be a huge bowl of hot, bitter and slightly fishy milk, accompanied by a large amount of oven chips.

The staff are reasonably friendly, and the prices would have been acceptable if the food had been edible.