“Great palce to eat and they look after my wheat free diet”
Review of The Old Ship - CLOSED

The Old Ship
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I eat at this great Pub' as they are all too aware of dietary requirements and I can be assured that I will get a wheat free meal. I had delicious Scottish Mussels with home made chunky chips on Tuesday 21.05.13. My friend had a piece of Haddock with a succulent prawn sauce with attractive arrangement of a large Prawn draped over it and a piece of 'decoratively carved lemon' addorning it. Wow! Another winner. The food is good and the price of a meal is not to expensive. The interior is spotless and the musac if played is not intrusive. I don't bother trying other Pubs in the locality as their menu is too restrictive for me. The Old Ship had a change of name to the Stewards Enquirey a few years ago and under the ownership of Michael and his wife thay changed it back to it's orriginal name. Great place and a welcoming Landlord.

1  Thank JCB1132b

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stopped here on passing through and the staff were very friendy. The food was very acceptable but nothing exceptional. Prices were a little too high for this type of pub.but I guess for a place that serves food all day it is understandable. More places should serve food longer than the average 12-2/2.30 lunchtimes.

1  Thank soot30
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stopped at the Old Ship on a Sunday lunchtime in April 2013. I ordered a moules mariniere special, and my wife had a roast beef lunch.

The roast was poorly presented with very overcooked vegetables, mushy roast potatoes and beef that was nearly inedible.

The mussels that went into the moules mariniere were very good quality, which makes what the chef did with them even more disappointing. The mariniere sauce had been made without cooking out the wine at all, so the sauce ended up being very bitter. The sauce was then bulked up with about 1 litre of milk, and then directly served. Normally, the mainiere sauce is my favourite part of the dish, but in this case 2 spoons of the sauce persuaded me to stop.

My memory of this meal will be a huge bowl of hot, bitter and slightly fishy milk, accompanied by a large amount of oven chips.

The staff are reasonably friendly, and the prices would have been acceptable if the food had been edible.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I visited the old ship on thursday 21/3/13 which is located halfway between uckfield and lewes in the heart of sussex countryside.
I found the service to be excellent and the food from the menue had a varity of chocies,all home cooked to perfevtion.They also had specials of the day which included fish dishes.
The place has a relaxing atmosphere with comfortable seats along the lengh of the pup.
Everything was clean,tidy and welcoming.
I strongly recommend the old ship for lunch,dinner, or drinks during the evenings.

4  Thank allaf
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We went to The Old Ship for a meal with friends. We had the salmon fish cakes starter between us. They turned up mushy and looking unappetising. The salad that was on the plate with the fish cakes was the best part of the meal! My husband had beef curry off the blackboard that was average, myself, I had haddock and chips. The haddock was good the chips were uncooked and just warm. We feel the cost of the food a bit excessive for the quality. However, our friends said the meal was ok. and as they were paying we didn't feel we could complain Landlady was very friendly but the landlord seemed a bit disinterested. Puds were good!