“Jolly”

The Jolly Sportsman
Ranked #15 of 112 Restaurants in Lewes
Cuisines: British, Pub, Soups
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Jolly”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

This pub is living off it's name I live quite near it and have had to walk out on more than once.we have taken lots of friends over years as we lived here for 35yrs it was one place we loved to go but in the past two years its gone down hill big time I send complain in once when I took my sister there she got black burn rostie she could not eat them but they didn't care I know they lost some good chiefs .

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank Eileen b

Brighton, United Kingdom
“food mediocre at best, tiny portions, big prices”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Bread and butter: there were no side plates, so buttered my bread in mid-air; Lobster boudin starter: nice enough but completely underseasoned; roe deer main: overdone and rubbery - tiny portion, but you wouldn't have wanted any more, french beans wrinkly, dauphinoise potatoes - didn't bring my magnifying glass so can't comment; Aubergine, tomato, courgette main: aubergine underdone (if there is one vegetable that shouldn't be...!), tomato cut in half, grilled and sprinkled with some dried herbs; courgette fritters cold - overall completely tasteless, portion just big enough for a vegan baby; not even the chips on the side were nice - they're better in my local fish and chip shop; cheese platter: extremely ungenerous portions of cheese, plate mostly filled with cheese biscuits; waitress friendly but incompetent, left empty beer glasses to pile up on the table, forgot to bring the wine, knew nothing about the food; only the ginger chocolates were delicious - but they had to be ordered in advance because the chef was going home, apparently - except that when we left he was lounging around on the armchair by the door - and only about 19 years old. There is no point mentioning that the atmosphere was nice enough, the setting pretty and the food well presented. But so what, the food was bad and the prices big.

• Visited January 2013
4 Thank zaichik186273
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Not recomended”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

The pub was empty on a Saturday night, yet we were all squashed to the side of the pub. My starter was crab/paster and was quite tasty however everyone else was very disappointed with theirs. Main course was a game casserole and it was just like a children's dish - main ingredient seemed to be baked beans - the only reason I did not send it back was I did not want to make a fuss - pear sorbet was tasty - good coffee - perhaps the chef was having a bad night????

3 Thank Miles K
east sussex england
“Missroma”
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

We ate at this lovely Pub for the first time on Sunday, we had a fantastic meal and a very enjoyable time. The food was great and we had a charming waiter called Charlie who looked after us exceptionally well and made us feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble for him, very sweet boy! We would not hesitate in eating at The Jolly Sportsman again, in fact we will be dining there for my birthday next week. 10/10

London, England, United Kingdom
“Winter warmer”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I had almost given up on the idea of lunch last Sunday! we were very late and I really did not expect to find anywhere willing to cater for us. But I was nicely surprised to find that the Jolly Sportsman serves lunch up to 3.30 onSunday - worth remembering especially as it does take some time to get there from the main road, down a tiny narrow lane. But as on our previous visit it was worth it. The service was friendly and prompt and my light lunch of tapas niblles, bread, olives and goose liver pate was delicious. The venison, I am told, was delicious and certainly the presentationwas very professional. I also liked the spaciousness of the place which is more than can be said for some pubs offering food in the area though to be fair this is a pub with a restaurant rather than a pub offering food.

We will definitely return.

• Visited November 2012