“Peaceful”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Peaceful”
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Large room for single. Situated in separate building just across from main door of hotel. Spacious shower room. Great breakfast. Friendly, helpful staff. Free WiFi.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Finnish first
London
Reviewed February 28, 2011

I have wanted to stay at this lovely hotel for some time now so phoned up to ask if they had any Executive Rooms available at the weekend, at what the cost would be. Yes, they had availability and the price was the normal full price as per their website.
That evening, at a dinner party, a friend told me that the Pelham was on Groupon. I checked, and it was and great news for me was that it was for the weekend and during the period I wanted to book - what luck!!
Next day I phoned up and asked if there were still Exec rooms available on saturday, to which I was told there were 4. Great - I then explained that I wanted to use the Groupon. There was a stoney silence. It was then explained that they would have to get back to me. 2 days later they come back to me and state there are no rooms available using groupon - yes there were rooms, but you couldn't book using groupon, which was very disappointing.
The truth of the matter, without boring people, is that there are very very few Exec rooms they let go on the Groupon rate. They don't say how many, and infact what they should say is that the Groupon offer is limited "so hurry" - a hotel of this standing should be open and honest, not pull a fast one. Groupon is great for them, they get loads of marketing from it and lots of potential customers phoning up, only to be disappointed and offered sunday nights, or Saturday nights at full price. They don't even admit to what they're doing. If you say you want to book on Groupon, they say they are full - if you then phone up as a full paying customer, there are rooms available !!! A bit naughty in my book. What they should say is that they only have a limited number of rooms at this rate. A bit like an airline does - basically has a set number of cheap seats. That would be honest and decent. For this reason, I am giving this hotel a thumbs down.

Stayed February 2011

Travelers are raving about these Lewes hotels

sussex
Reviewed February 18, 2011

We booked the night before our stay initially through Late Rooms but, because of a glitch on that site, the booking was actually made direct with the hotel. The person who took the booking was very helpful and confirmed we would have a king sized bed for the Late Rooms price of £80 for bed and breakfast.

On arrival we were shown to an attic room at the top of quite steep stairs with severely reduced headroom. The room itself was the same - anyone over 5' 7" would have difficulties. The furnishings in the room were a bit disappointing - a Travel Inn would give it a run for its money. Lovely freestanding bath (but no shower) that proved to have a leak and needed constant topping up.

Dinner was booked for 20.15 so we arrived in the bar at 20.05 - and were ignored. eventually (20.35) after much trying to catch someone's eye we were asked what we wanted and were brought menus. At 20.50 a waiter asked if he could show us to our table and we pointed out that we were still waiting for someone to take our order. We eventually sat down to eat an hour late. Desserts took a long tme to come and we left rather than try to order coffees.

The breakfast staff were far more helpful and attentive.

The general feel of the place is a bit shabby and most of it could do with a lick of paint. Some of the staff were very good but they are let down by the majority which is a shame because it has the makings of a very good hotel. Brilliant location, nice sized rooms - just in need of a really good general manager who won't take no for an answer.

Brighton, UK
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Stayed at this hotel last weekend as it was my wifes birthday. We only live in Brighton, but do not get over to Lewes that often. Before booking the hotel I must admit to being unaware of its existence, being just off the High Street. The building is grand although the main entrance off the courtyard is understated. Staff were welcoming and very pleasant throughout our stay. We had a large room overlooking the gardens which was great. We ate out at the Spice Merchant a very good Indian restaurant, but we did have a drink at the hotel bar which was nice to do. Great Full English breakfast in the morning along with good other options. We enjoyed our stay and would go back there again for a night away.

Southend on Sea
Reviewed February 8, 2011

I surprised my partner for his birthday. This hotel was mentioned in the Sunday Times travel mag. The staff gave you a warm welcome and you did feel special. The room was rather small and the shower could have done with resealing, but the rest was rather good. We booked a meal in the restaurant and that was superb. It is right in the centre of Lewes and is close by to some good pubs and cafes. It is perfect for a one night stay with someone special.

Reviewed January 30, 2011

I stayed with my wife for a much needed evening away in what I had expected to be luxury surroundings, did it meet expectations...No!

Now to be clear, I did find the room via an online offer on GROUPON, the rate was at £99 for bed and breakfast instead of the normal rate of £240. (now for £240 in low season, we expected something pretty special, wouldn't you?).

I will review this hotel as if I was paying full rates as I think this is only fair to those looking to stay here without the advantages of discounts.

The room was a so called executive suite, so called because it was entirely reminiscent of bed and breakfasts we have stayed in across the country, even at peak season at a fraction of the cost. Taste is a personal thing, so see the attached photos and decide for yourself if it is a £240 a night establishment?

The room however was very clean for the most part, dirty crockery next to the tea maker being the exception. The bathroom was on the small side with a dripping showerhead which we had to shut the door to so that we could get some shut eye. In the morning the water ran cold within 5 mins of getting into the shower.

But let's backup to dinner in the hotel the evening earlier.

I was fascinated to read the comment on here regarding the fois gras and chicken liver pate, whilst ours did not taste of cheese, it was very bitter with strong 'offal' overtone making it generally pretty unpleasant eating (we normally love pate).

For a main, I had the haddock souffle with sauté potatoes, very nice aside from the slightly underdone potatoes and the not insignificant 2cm fish bone thankfully located before I swallowed my final mouthful!

My wife had the slow cooked pork which was good in terms of flavour but with 2/3 being a fatty rind, it was rather lacking in gastronomic appeal.

After dinner, there were drinks. The service in the bar was sluggish with staff walking past us even when obvious jesturing was used, the cocktails were however worth the wait, excellent!

Upon returning to our room we put in our breakfast order, a 'Full English' minus the tomatoes. When it arrived in the morning (only 15 mins late), the mushrooms and bacon were stone cold, beans were luke warm, no sausages and no toast. Sigh!

In terms of location, it was spot on, right in the centre of historical Lewes and the hotels building had a wonderfully grand facade with a relaxed atmosphere inside, think more shabby chic (ish).

In conclusion, there are no doubt considerably better hotels in Sussex.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank TravelSussex
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We only stayed for one night, we had a superior room in the attic which was rather small but had a fantastic view, it was very clean and comfy bed. The staff were very nice, we had an evening meal there but i was not impressed at all, my partner thought the food was ok, i didnt like it, I had chicken liver pate which tasted of a very strong cheese!!! yuk!!! and my main course was salmon which looked very nice on the plate but it wasnt hot enough, it was very pricy for what you get, The hotel and the surroundings are very nice but i would not stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,147 reviews

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!