“Stay in Lewes and 'commute' to Brighton”
Review of Pelham House

Pelham House
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Carshalton, United Kingdom
“Stay in Lewes and 'commute' to Brighton”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

With accomodation-costs in Brighton tipping the scales, it makes perfect sense to stay in Lewes and commute 10 minutes by train (provided it isn't the night-life you are after). We purchased on a deal via Secret Escapes, which gave us a very good rate for an executive room and a free bottle of wine with our evening meal. It was a bonus that the weekend we chose was the first weekend that has felt truly Spring-like. Although a wedding was being held at the hotel, we weren't disturbed by noise. Our bedroom in the old stable building was enormous with a vaulted ceiling. The bed was very comfortable and we had two sofas and a gargantune television! After a hard day of stomping the streets and the beach in Brighton, we started the evening with a glass of prosecco. A three-course meal in the hotel's gallery restaurant costs £25, extremely reasonable considering the quality of the food. I had leek and potato soup with an apple dumpling, followed by slow-cooked shoulder of lamb with potato rosti and sweetbreads, and rounded it all off with a cherry and almond pudding served with pisachio ice-cream and boozy cherry sauce (not forgetting the excellent bottle of Argentinian Malbec). (Don't bother with the coffee - unfortunately it was the one let-down.) We were equally spoilt at breakfast (taken in the oak-panelled dining room) with granola, home-made fruit compote and greek yoghurt, followed by eggs royale, which we attempted to burn off on Ditchling Beacon. The only issue is Lewes in the parking, but the station car park - minutes away - costs £5.50 on Saturday and street parking is free on Sunday. And with a castle, a good museum, the priory ruins and Anne of Cleeves House, excellent shopping, and cafes like Bill's, which is a bit of a Lewes institution, you won't run out of things to do.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Finnish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The downside of staying in a historic "listed" hotel is that they have not been allowed to put in elevators, which makes our third floor room a tough hike. We've already booked our next visit and reserved a room in the annex (converted stables, should be interesting) to gain ground floor access. The bar and dining room are charming and we enjoy cocktails, breakfast and dinner on several occasions. The food is spot on. Concierge service is grand (and they do carry our bags up and down the stairs for us) and helps us find local attractions, of which there are many in this ancient castle town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gentlemansportion
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write this review.

It is true that with our beautiful, listed building we are unable to make major alterations, such as elevators, and I can completely understand that this makes the upper floors a little bit difficult. I am very pleased however, to hear that the staff were accommodating and helped you with you luggage. Our rooms in the mews building are indeed a much easier distance and I am sure you will find your room to be pleasant and comfortable during you upcoming stay with us.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back.

If there is anything that you require to make your next stay as comfortable as possible please do not hesitate to contact our reservations team (reservation@pelhamhouse.com) and they will be only too happy to assist.

Paul Morgan, General Manager and The Team at Pelham House
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

A nice hotel set out in a historic building close to the centre of Lewes. I had a room in an outbuilding which was about 20m away from the hotel reception across the car park. This wasn't a problem as the standard room was spacious, well appointed, interesting, modern, clean and comfortable.

The food was all right with very good options for a cooked breakfast beyond the standard Full English. Service could be better a breakfast time - no one seemed keen to take away used plates etc.

I would recommend this as a very pleasant place to stay but be aware of the following points; the car park is very small and you need to book a space in advance, a fact that isn't very well advertised by the hotel, I had to park in the nearby railway station car park at a cost and there is absolutely no drawer space in the room. Other than that it was fine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stayed and found the room to be pleasant and comfortable.

I am sorry however, to hear that you felt the breakfast service was not up to standards. I will certainly follow this up with our restaurant manager. Likewise, I am very sorry to hear that you felt the car parking arrangements were ill advertised. Our car park is very limited and we do try to take every measure to inform all our guests of this and of the necessity to book parking, However, I will be sure to look into how this can be improved.

Once again, thank you for this review. It is very much appreciated to hear back on both the negative and the positives as this gives us the foundation to move forward!

I hope you will visit Pelham House again in the future.

Paul Morgan, General Manager and The Team at Pelham House
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a promotional offer, so in that respect was good value. Our room was on the second floor with views over the downs - very pleasant. The bed was big, loads of storage, and had iron and board and hairdryer. The only issue was the shower room grout on tiles needed a little more attention and water a little slow going down plug hole...

Dinner was lovely and a wonderful choice on the menu, beautifully cooked and presented - dessert is a must.

Breakfast the next morning was equally as good, good choice of cereals and juices followed by a cooked breafast ranging from a full English to smoked salmon to a veggie bubble and squeak option. Very filling couldn't eat another thing until dinner that night.

All in all would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank fatsplat
PelhamHouseLewes, General Manager at Pelham House, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
The title of this review – ‘comfort and style’ is exactly what we aim for here at Pelham House and so I am delighted that you took the time to provide your comments of your recent stay.
It brings me great pleasure to read of the enjoyable aspects you experienced. I am however, concerned by the housekeeping and maintenance issues you have raised and I will be looking into this as a matter of priority to ensure this is dealt with as quickly as possible.
Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Warm Regards
Hastings UK
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Like other people on TA we also visited this hotel on a Living Social promo. We stayed in room 6, a dual aspect, twin room overlooking the garden. The hotel is perfectly located for visiting Lewes, in a quiet side road off the High Street. It is in easy (uphill!) walking distance of the station which has regular and frequent trains to London and the South Coast. Our room was tastefully decorated - the hotel has oak floors throughout - and had a large cupboard suitable for hanging items; there was no drawer space. There was an iron & board and hairdryer provided, along with a kettle, cups and a selection of teas, coffees, hot chocolate, bottled water and biscuits. On our first night we were also given a mini box of truffles which was a nice touch and were offered a turn-down service. The beds were comfortable and the room was a good temperaure (it was a very cold weekend) but the windows were openable which meant that we were able to ensure a perfect temperature throughout our stay. The bathroom was small and had no window but was perfectly adequate, containing a bath, shower, sink and loo and toiletries. There was only just enough space for our own toiletries but this was a very minor niggle. Check-in was courteous, efficient and friendly. The car park is very small and we had to park in the station car park on our first night; we were also charged £6 to use the hotel car park for 24 hours. Breakfast was excellent, with lovely artisan bread, pastries, cereals, fresh fruit, yoghourts and kippers and full English as choices, as well as perfectly cooked eggs, any way you can imagine. We also had dinner in the restaurant which was good quality and a fair price.
My only negative point is the housekeeping: the grouting in the bathroom was mouldy and there was body-fat trace on the tiles - this only comes from a build up and demonstrates a lack of proper cleaning - a steam clean would remove that in seconds. The same applies to the loo - under the rim was very dirty and had clearly not been tackled at all. The floor under the radiator in the bedroom was not easily accessible and therefore had also not been dusted/mopped. Our towels were left where we had left them and the room still hadn't been cleaned at 3pm. At a normal price of£180 - £240 a night (hotels in Lewes and Rye charge exorbitant prices because of where they are) I do expect perfect housekeeping and this wasn't it. However, the hotel is lovely and I would recommend you try it....

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden have no traffic noise at all and have a lovely view of the South Downs
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gumweed
I am very happy that you have taken the time to write this review of Pelham House and would like to thank you for your comments.
I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasurable stay and were able to enjoy all that Pelham House has to offer.
It saddens me however to hear of the housekeeping issues that have been raised. At Pelham House we aim to provide outstanding service and part of this, of course, is to ensure that the bedrooms are clean, fresh and well preserved to offer our guest as comfortable a stay as possible. I therefore, regret to hear you found that particular areas of the room were not kept to our usual standards. I will personally look into this issues raised and ensure that the lovely housekeeping team carry out a deep clean of this room.
I apologise again for this and I hope it did not inflict too much on the enjoyment of your visit.
We would be honoured to welcome you back to Pelham House again in the future and I hope you will choose to visit us again.
Peak District, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely hotel in a good location. My room was excellent just across the courtyard from the reception area. Fantastic shower and very comfortable bed with very nice bed linen.

The only down side was a burger I had in the bar area which whilst nicely presented, the meat was tough and the bun tasted like it had been frozen then microwaved.

Breakfast was lovely with good coffee.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Paulride
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments.
I am very happy to hear that your enjoyed your stay and found your bedroom to be comfortable.
I am very sorry however, that you were disappointed with your burger. We are very passionate about food at Pelham House and I apologise that on this occasion the food did not meet our usual standards. I will be certain to ensure that the kitchen and restaurant team are made aware of this.
I hope that you will visit us again in the future.
Worthing
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is the 2nd time we have stayed at this hotel with a Living Social voucher and we thought it was excellent value for money. We stayed in room 4 both times which has a 4 poster bed with quality furnishings, chocolates on the pillow and a selection of tea, coffees, hot chocolate and biscuits. The bathroom is accessed through a short passageway with a free standing bath in the middle of the room and double width shower cubicle. The bar is low key with a relaxed atmosphere. Breakfast was served in the restaurant with a good selection of fruits and cereals, followed by a coked breakfast includingfull English, smoked salmon or eggs benedict. Although we visited in February, the grounds still looked lovely and I am sure they are beautiful in the summer. Well worth a visit and Lewes has a lot to offer too.

Room Tip: I would ask for one of their executive rooms such as room 4.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lorayne_hagan
I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed both of your stays at Pelham House and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for this lovely review.
I must agree that the living social offer is great value and we have been overwhelmed by the brilliant feedback we have received!
Room 4 is a beautiful room and I am very happy that you had the opportunity for enjoy its stunning views and gorgeous bathroom on both occasions as it is the perfect boudoir for a romantic getaway!
We run numerous offers throughout the year, both direct with the hotel and on various sites such as living social, so please do not hesitate to contact our reservations department at any time if you wish to stay again as they will be happy to inform you of any current or upcoming offers.
We hope to welcome you back for a third stay very soon!
Many Thanks again
Paul Morgan, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
The Shelleys
The Forge
#1 of 1 in Halland
Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant
Jurys Inn Brighton Waterfront

Been to Pelham House? Share your experiences!