“Not a warm welcome”

Description: Polish pottery shop
Eastbourne
“Not a warm welcome”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I visited with 2 family members to have tea and cake on a fairly busy, freezing cold afternoon. Parking nearby was difficult but I was prepared to make the effort and pay the onstreet meter prices as I thought my mother-in-law would like to see the pottery and enjoy a cup of tea in the cafe. Instead of being shown to an available table (there were several) with a warm welcome, there was some hesitation and it felt as if our arrival had posed a problem. We sat at a table of our choice in the end but were encouraged to get up and go to another one, in case, as the waitress explained, a larger party arrived whereupon we would 'have to move'. The larger party never arrived. We enjoyed our tea and cake and then made some purchases in the pottery shop, where we were served by a delightfully friendly assistant. It is a shame that our initial greeting could not have come from her.

1 Thank L G
Will R, Owner at Baltica, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Our cafe manager, Vicky, thought that the four place table she offered you would be more suitable - and convivial - for three people rather than the larger table for six that you chose. It was half-term and we were very busy all week - especially with families. I'm glad that you enjoyed your tea and cakes and also that you went on to make purchases in our pottery shop.

Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Great Coffee and Cakes”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Very nice, informal atmosphere with attentive staff and reasonable prices. The coffee is the best in Lewes and the cakes are impossible to resist.

Dorking
“Superb breakfast, lovely pottery”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I discovered Baltica when working in Lewes and took my wife there to start off a Valentines Day mooch of this lovely historic town. As we were there for breakfast we didn't venture into the Polish dishes but hope to when we next visit. Saying that Baltica served the near perfect english breakfast, cooked to perfection with a high percentage of locally sourced produce.

We loved the pottery and spent far too much on bits for the kitchen and some very cute miniature tea sets for the girls. Everything was done with pleasure and a smile. I hope that Baltica's location a bit off-centre does not deter people finding it. Hoping that TA spreads the good word!

Billingshurst, United Kingdom
“Pottery to die for”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Quiche by any other name doesn't belong in Baltica! Some of the best veggie lunch I've ever had, served with much panache on beautiful pottery from Poland. Coffee was terrific too.

Visited May 2012
England
“Clean & Bright Coffee Shop and Pottery Shop”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Visited this cafe on a particularly cold January day and had nicest cup of hot chocolate ever - it came in a gorgeous Polish handmade pottery mug. The mug was so nice I treated myself to one and will be adding to my collection when I next visit in the Summer. Not cheap pottery but classy - just like the cafe. Did not eat but drinks were reasonable. Price of cakes in my local Garden Centre were more expensive than here though ...

Visited January 2013