“You must try the cakes!!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Magasin

Ranked #3 of 111 Restaurants in Lewes
Cuisines: French, Cafe, British
Good for: Dining on a budget, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A unique cafe/bistro in the heart of Lewes. Serving restaurant food, for bistro prices, in a cafe atmosphere. Known by some as Lewes' best kept secret we serve fresh, homemade and locally sourced ingredients 7 days a week. We are now also open on Thursday, Friday & Saturday evenings - come see our new evening menu! Including a set menu - 2 courses 12.95/3 courses 15.95
Southampton, Hampshire
“You must try the cakes!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Wow what a wonderful little cafe....such a great atmosphere. On our arrival we were warmly welcomed by the staff and that level of hospitality continued throughout. My partner had poached egg on toast and a cup of tea, whilst I went for the bacon, roacket and tomato sandwich and a raspberry juice. Both meals were so tasty and fresh it was lovely. After seeing the selection of cakes I decided to try a piece of the famous bake well tart! I'm so glad I did it was amazing!! My partner had a piece of orange and pistachio cake which was so moist and again fresh. We walked away with our very own loaf of fresh bread bought from the cafe and content grins! Will definately be returning soon!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
JoeLeMagasin, Owner at Le Magasin, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Hello JLawlor!

Thank you for your positive review of Le Magasin, we glad you enjoyed your visit to Le Magasin.

We are glad you enjoyed the food, like you mentioned we only use fresh ingredients - sourced locally where possible. We also pride ourselves on excellent customer service, so we are glad you felt this level of hospitality was consistent with our values. Glad you enjoyed the cakes too - those two recipes have enjoyed some fame and success at Le Magasin, easily our two best sellers! Also, the Orange & Pistachio is gluten and dairy free! We continue to sell our bread from the window too.

Hopefully we see you again soon and you can sample some dishes on our new menu!

Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Expensive and lacking some touches”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

As mentioned in the title - very expensive. Went in on a fairly busy summer afternoon in Lewes and (eventually) ordered the cream tea, while my other half had a flavoured tea and a tart she picked from the counter. Unfortunately, unlike other cream teas I have purchased, it did not come with a pot so you could refill as you wished but one sad looking cup (which was lukewarm). We then had to ask for some cutlery as our table was without any. We were also shocked that the tart was priced at a ridiculous £3.50! This was not mentioned when my wife was browsing the selection on the counter - maybe the staff are told to not bring it up when discussing the cakes etc. for fear of losing custom. I understand the place was under new management - as stated on the board outside - but maybe they should think less about margins and more about value for money, especially with Bill's just down the street.

On a lighter note - the music selection was amazing.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
JoeLeMagasin, Owner at Le Magasin, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Hello Rupert,

Firstly thank you for your review on Le Magasin, we appreciate your feedback and comments from your visit.

Thank you for the compliment on the music, a playlist which I have hand picked myself! We feel at Le Magasin our prices offer good value. Compared to other local business and any other business in our sector we price our food with the customer in mind - offering you good quality service, a comfortable environment and good food and drink at affordable prices. Our handmade French patisserie tarts are served with a choice of cream or ice cream - and our staff would have of course told your Wife the price of our desserts if she had enquired. When we took over as new owners we had a price review on all items on the menu and are offering good value for the high quality, locally sourced food which we serve at Le Magasin.

We are really sorry you felt the cost of our menus let down your experience at Le Magasin, hopefully you can join us again soon. I would more than happy to further this discussion in person whilst the music continues to please your ears!

Again, thank you for your review. Hopefully we see you again soon.
Seaford, United Kingdom
“Not impressed!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went here for a coffee and decided to have something to eat. We both opted for poached eggs on toast.

Whilst the cafe itself is very nicely decorated and the staff friendly and efficient we felt the cost of what we had was a rip off.

We asked for large coffees and got two small cups and my Mocha was luke warm but admittedly didnt complain as we were in a bit of a hurry so I put up with it. The poached eggs on toast were beautifully cooked and presented but again they weren't large eggs just medium but on 1 ordinary not even thick slice of bread cut in two.

2 small coffees, 2 x 2 poached eggs on toast = £15.80

I really do think that in a recession you have to offer better value for money than that, even in Lewes!!!

My husband and I are not affraid to pay alot of money for good food, but we are not prepared to pay silly money for small to average portions.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Cr4ftym00
Hello Cr4ftym00,

Thank you for your feedback following your visit to Le Magasin.

We are sorry you didn't find your visit to Le Magasin as enjoyable as we both would have liked. If you had asked for two large coffee's and you were brought a regular size then we must apologise, this would have been a mistake and something we would have been more than happy to address and change for you at the time. We strive to serve the best quality food we can, which is locally sourced too where possible. Both our bread and eggs come from local suppliers and we only want to serve the best quality ingredients here, however we feel that we offer good value for the food we serve.

We have had a price review since your visit, and where as before 2 x small mocha and 2 x poached eggs on toast would have previously cost you £14.40. It will come to a total of £14.

We hope you visit us again, and perhaps we could discuss your last visit over a coffee. Thanks for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Lewes, United Kingdom
“Lovely new start”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Very charming staff,good food,much improved and I look forward to many happy returns.So glad this has reopened,a very happy,place

Visited September 2012
Hi mcrbb,

Thank you for your positive review of Le Magasin.

We are glad you enjoyed your food here, we strive to serve the best quality food we can with locally sourced ingredients where possible. We also pride ourselves on friendly, helpful customer service - which I am glad you picked up on when you visited.

We hope to see you again soon, perhaps you could try one of the new dishes on our lunch menu!

Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
“The perfect cafe!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

If you're looking for somewhere to just chill out and catch up with friends, or to do your work, with a coffee, this is the cafe to go to!
The staff are so welcoming and helpful, the food is of such a high standard and a very fair price, considering the quality of ingredients and produce is completely organic and homemade. I loved the atmosphere when I came in, and felt almost at home.
After telling the owner about how much I appreciated my visit she then told me that Le Magasin will be soon introducing 'high tea parties' this would be brilliant for a meeting or perhaps a small gathering with friends.

• Visited September 2012
Hi Nell!

Thank you so much for your positive review of Le Magasin!

We are glad you enjoyed your food, we still strive to serve the best quality food we can - and as you say - sourced locally where possible. We also pride ourselves on excellent customer service, something I'm glad you found enjoyable when you visited. We had great success with our high tea's in the summer, and may introduce them again when the sun comes out!

Thank you again for your positive review, we hope to see you again soon!