“I will never go there again”
Review of Pelham Arms

Pelham Arms
Ranked #8 of 118 Restaurants in Lewes
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Pelham Arms is a traditional British public house at the top of Lewes High Street, serving Lewes’ best local and seasonal food with a relaxed friendly service in charming surroundings.Built circa 1640, this quintessential Sussex pub has original oak beams, an inglenook fireplace, courtyard garden and is full of age-old charm. We love children at the Pelham and your little (or not so little) lovelies are welcome in the pub until 8pm. Dogs are also welcome in the bar areas. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Reviewed February 7, 2013

As a lone female diner, dining four nights a week this venue has always been good and one I have passed on to fellow business colleagues but never again. I had to ask if anyone was looking after the dining room, go to the bar for a drink, staff passed by without acknowledgement and when the food came it was awful. I made it clear I was unhappy and someone did try to talk to me but clearly had no understanding or empathy. I came away feeling cheated and humiliated and I paid to feel like that. I will be passing the message as always the network is important. As a lone diner I expect to be looked after not penalised and certainly not humiliated

2  Thank AnitauN
Andrew M, Owner at Pelham Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

We are pleased that you had always enjoyed your time at The Pelham Arms, we pride ourselves on excellent service, pleasant ambiance and good food.
I am sorry that you have had such an strong reaction to the experience that you felt you had on this occasion, however you did refuse to allow the manager to resolve this at the time. Its a shame that you are never coming back as we will never be able to make amends.

There are newer reviews for Pelham Arms

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We pre-ordered as requested and still had to wait ages. Food arrived in dribs and drabs with some of our party nearly finished as others got theirs. The food quality has gone downhill and the place was freezing. We wore coats and most left over half their food. If we wanted service we had to leave the table to get someone. All in all they are either suffering from being oversold due to prior successes or are cutting costs in order to make that quick buck off of a previously good reputation. If the latter I fully expect them to sell up as is the norm in such cases.

I contacted the reviewer on Feb 7th through TripAdvisor to shed more light on this review and ask when it took place, as a business owner it makes for very sorry reading.
However the reviewer failed to get back to me. I have no idea when this incident took place and my managers are unable to remember such an event?
I would take this slanderous review with a hefty pinch of salt.
To confirm - we are not "cutting costs and trying to make a quick buck"! after 5 years of running the Pelham Arms and building a successful business I have no intention of selling and are only ever looking at ways of making our offer better and more enjoyable for the customer as we want a long-term stable business.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We visited on a Sunday luch time and it was extremely busy but we still had good service. We both had the homemade white onion and mustard soup and it was a generous size and absolutely delicious. The atmosphere was cosy and I was just sad we weren't staying longer to try the roast dinners which looked very appetising.

1  Thank taiters

Thank you and hope to see you again for our Sunday roast!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We visited the Pelham Arms on a Saturday night, and had the most wonderful meal. I thought the atmosphere was lovely - cosy and comfy, the food was extraordinary for the price, and they served a great range of booze (the house white was perfectly drinkable). My full review is on my blog http://www.alittlelusciousness.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/the-pelham-arms-lewes.html.

Definitely worth a visit!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Sorry, but have to say that the Sunday roast I had recently was very average and too expensive for what you got. The pub is a great pub, but with very expensive wine and beer, but the ambiance is OK. The Sunday Roast was £14 for a plate of either lamb, beef or pork and too be honest, I have been to better places where it is £5 less and much better meat and veg. Its a shame as I was hoping for a greater Sunday dining experience, but not here. If you do go, make sure you have plenty of cash as a glass of mid size Merlot and a pint of Lager comes to £9. I would expect that in London, not South Coast.

Andrew M, Owner at Pelham Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

I am very sorry you didn't enjoy your experience.
Our Sunday service is the busiest and most popular of the week and we have a great following. We are often fully booked and do over 100 meals on Sundays as a testament to our quality.

Prices on all our mains either on a Sunday or our standard Monday to Saturday menu are in the £12-£16 range, the prices are not the cheapest around, but are based on the quality of regional ingredients we source which comes at a higher price. For the record beef and lamb roasts are currently £14, you where incorrect with the other prices, pork is £12 with our veggie being £12 and chicken £13. A medium glass of Merlot is £4.20 and a pint HB lager £3.60 totaling £7.80, I think these prices are very fair.