“Lovely food but very cold pub”
Review of Kings Head

Kings Head
Ranked #59 of 118 Restaurants in Lewes
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: This is a gastro pub - a traditional British pub serving excellent quality food. Locally sourced and seasonal. Open Inglenook fire pace, large sunny garden with stunning views of Lewes Castle. Great selection of local ales, wines and spirits. Perfect for a pint or to have something tasty to eat.
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The food was very good if pricey - nice for couples not for families i would say. The pub was very cold though and the furniture not the greatest given the prices you were paying. Staff were very nice though.

There are newer reviews for Kings Head

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Well that is where it is ranked at the time of the review and I can't understand it especially looking at some of the places ranked above it. Maybe because it is a little bit out of the way -it's along from Ann of Cleves House. Stumbled across it on a Friday lunchtime. Great service. The food is excellent. The fennel soup is to die for and loved the beetroot risotto. Yes we are veggies but the meat and fish looked good as it went by. Good music too. This place deserves a much higher rating.

Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

After seeing the poster in the pub I thought I would sign up primarily to review The Kings Head.

I have driven past this pub many a time but have never thought about going in. After recently receiving a leaflet about their 2 courses for £10 offer, I thought why not, even if its not great - its an absolute steal.

So, I finally went in for lunch today (Friday 8 Feb) accompanied by my husband and two friends. We were surprised at the beauty and ambience within.

For lunch, we all had the soup of the day to start - which was fennel with shaved chorizo and croutons. Since three of us were veggies, we can't eat the chorizo - they gladly adapted. The soup was stunning I must say.

For main courses, three of us had the beetroot risotto with parmesan and my husband had the Sussex sausage and mash. I cannot eat cheese, so again they adapted for me. The risotto was superb amd my husband claimed that 'the bangers and mash were the tastiest he had ever eaten'. Between us - we simply could not fault it.

To put a cherry on this delicious cake, the young man waiting on us was charming, patient and had excellent mannors. Despite him seemingly working alone on a fairly busy Friday lunchtime - the service was impeccable.

Overall, we were extremely happy to find this little gem and anyone reading this would be a fool not to take full advantage of the 2 courses for £10 offer currently in place.

I will definitely return - with friends.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Went with a friend for a chinwag and dinner. Yummy tender duck breast although would have liked a few more veggies. Friend had fish and chips which she rated highly.
Choccy torte and malted ice cream delicious but would have liked more ice cream - one scoop simply not enough with such a rich chocolate pud. Or maybe a little less torte and a little more ice cream?
Nice cosy atmosphere on a wet and windy night with fire burning etc. Quiet when we arrived (19.30) but filled up over the evening. All in all very pleasant.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Single female - visited recently for food whilst on business in Lewes. Comfortable visit and attentive staff, although very quiet when I arrived, livened up a bit later - slightly more 'up market' than other pubs close by and price reflects this but it depends what you're looking for... I'd recommend the Bangers and Mash and White Bait! :)