“Only stay in the annex if your not expecting much”
Review of White Hart Hotel

White Hart Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I bought this one night as a gift for my husband. I had seen reviews about the annex but unfortunately that is where we were sent. The first issue was parking or lack of. Next was the step hill to climb up to the main hotel !. Our room was on the ground floor. A good size but sadly that is all it had going for it. Very tatty and worn with a pink bathroom and mismatched toilet seat. A huge hole under the sink added to the effect!! The room had a nasty musty smell which really made me feel sick. The carpet was dirty and so where the walls. To add to this the room above had terrible creaky floor and where constantly walking . Plus you could hear everything ....... And I mean everything . We also had a meal . Although the staff were very friendly the food portions were small and tasteless. I was given 11 French beans with dinner none were cooked. My fresh fruit salad was a tiny amount of pear, same of pineapple and a bowl of water melon. Not my idea of a fresh fruit salad.
It is a great odd building but sadly very tired and worn. It is in need of a total refit and the shed they call the annex needs to be shut down and rebuilt. Oh I should also say expect to share leisure centre with the general public.
On NO account stay in the annex

1  Thank theboysUk
There are newer reviews for White Hart Hotel

Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed at The White Hart for dinner, bed and breakfast. The first impression as person gets of any company is the voice on the other end of the phone. That voice was Jose and he was so customer friendly. We arrived and Jose was there to greet us. Customer service is his passion and it shows. The room was lovely and quaint. The evening meal was as good as any I have had in any 4/5 star hotel. The service again was exemplary. The bed was comfortable and there was an abundance of hot water for showers and baths. The breakfast was good and the whole experience was one of old English charm and comfort. Some of the furniture is looking as if it needs a little tlc, but overall our stay was very pleasant and we will be back. Margaret, Surrey

Room Tip: For old world charm, ask for a room in the main hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
GAC380, General Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thank you for such a great endorsement of customer service and your overall comments about the hotel. Jose is a great asset to the hotel as are many other members of the team. We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here so many times. Theres something really lovely about this hotel its very old and quirky. Lovely staff. The bedrooms in main building are all lovely. Pelham suite is the best. Only thing is quite often the steamroom not working. Love this hotel. So central too.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
GAC380, General Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you for your comments and your loyalty to the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon. In the meantime the steam room which has proved temperamental in the past has been fixed....so fingers crossed!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We had a really nice stay here on a Groupon deal including dinner which was very nice. We had a room in the annexe with a balcony which we loved as it was a warm weekend. Our only problem was the cups were unwashed but we called reception and this was rectified straight away. There were some really nice touches in the room and the staff were friendly and helpful. We didn't get time to use the pool but will hopefully be back for another night in Lewes soon. Thank you to all the staff for the hard work you have been putting in - its paying off.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you, I'm not sure what happened about the cups, but obviously I am sorry it happened. We appreciate your positive comments which are a great boost to the staff here who work so hard.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Having read reviews we requested a room in the main building, which was fine, but really hot. We were in Room 20. We turned the radiator off and opened windows but it was still boiling, I wouldn't stay in this room again. The staff everywhere were all really lovely and helpful. The dinner was ok, not amazing but not bad. Apparently 3 courses would normally have been £22 each which I don't think it was worth. The soup I had was a bit cold, and the breakfast foods went cold very quickly, their hot plate thing can't have been that good. The breakfast was ok, I have had many a full english and it's better than travelodge (real sausages!) but not as good as some places I've stayed. The gym, pool, sauna were great, loved the pool. Changing rooms are pretty dated but doesn't really matter. Amazing value for money with groupon, so do it, but I'm not sure I'd pay full price.

1  Thank superroxy

Sorry that some aspects of your stay disappointed, but we will act on them to make on-going improvements. Thank you.

Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for work reasons for 3 nights. Stayed in the annex. As you walk in there is an awful stale smell. Room was in need of a lick of paint and to be honest a refurb. The towels provided were like hand towels. Shower was just a trickle. Walls were so thin you could hear everything. But the worse thing I woke up covered in bites. Not pleased at all. The staff were nice but I would never recommend this hotel. How they are still open is beyond me.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank CillaA_12

I am really sorry that your stay was not the pleasant experience it should have been, your comments have been noted and we will continue to make improvements.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We are sitting here in the lovely, sunny terrace room, enjoying what must be said is probably one of the best hotels breakfasts we have ever had....can't remember the last time I saw proper scrambled egg on a breakfast buffet..or indeed perfectly cooked New potatoes.!
We had a wonderful sleep in a magnificent room, (26) although if anyone was underneath us, they may not have , as the old floorboards were appropriately squeaky. Room and bathroom were very clean and tidy, in fact most of the hotels public spaces were.
Dinner last night was superb...better then some restraunts I have been to, compliments to the chief.
All in all a great hotel, that you can visually see is trying to improve its image, very friendly staff and no complaints from us.

• Stayed: March 2014

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of our terrace. Your positive comments are very encouraging to us all. I hope you will be able to return. Thank you for writing.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Pelham House
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
White Lodge B&B
White Lodge B&B
#1 of 1 in Cooksbridge

Been to White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!