“It'a all about expectations!”
Review of Crown Inn

Crown Inn
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed July 19, 2013

If you a expecting a smart, renovated, stylish hotel you will be disappointed. If you are expecting a hotel that was once lovely but hasn't been decorated or maintained for 30 years, with friendly staff in a great location in a lovely town then you will not be disappointed. Our booking was fine. I confirmed by telephone. Fixtures and fittings were old and worn but clean. Carpet on the bathroom floor! The hotel has a traditional pub. Breakfast was similarly from the 1980s but OK. So, all in all, reasonable value if you know what to expect. Lots of potential as a business for someone with plenty to invest. It's a lovely building in a great location (in the town centre, five minutes from the station) and would be a fantastic hotel, if appropriately refurbished.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Martin M

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We had booked 2 nights for tonight and Saturday - Mumford & Sons are in town. I had not checked Trip Advisor before booking but became concerned following a comment about the hotel from a colleague who lived in Lewes. Telephoned The Crown last night to be told that the booking was fine and they would see us today. Received an e-mail from Late rooms this afternoon to say the Crown had cancelled due to an electrical fault. Phoned The Crown who said they had been overbooked. Said they no longer did business with Late Rooms and denied I could have spoken to anybody there the previous evening. Unhelpful and unapologetic.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank brightonian69
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I'm afraid I can't comment on the state of this hotel on the inside as they wouldn't honour my confirmed booking and so I didn't ever actually get inside. However, I have no reason to doubt the rest of the reviews on here that it simply awful.

We booked and had a confirmation email and a week before arriving decided to phone to confirm. First of all we spoke to a barman who assured us that the booking was 100% confirmed. We later got an email from Karen (the owner) saying that she would not honour our booking. I spent the next day trying to phone Karen (she was very difficult to get hold of) and when I finally spoke to her she said she had no record of the booking, no payment details and no intention of honouring it as she had taken 39 bookings for her 5 rooms! She is incredibly rude and unhelpful and I have no doubt that if we had not phoned to confirm we would have only found out about this when we arrived on the day.

The Crown is appalling run and they deserve to go out of business. Please do not give them your money (that is if you even get to the stage of being able to!)

Room Tip: The best rooms are in another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank po1011
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Lesson learnt, I must remember to check trip advisor when making bookings in future.
Booked the Crown through late rooms, used to know the owners many years ago so not sure if its the same.
Our experience was the same as others reported. Turned up to check in, waited 15 mins to be told by the manageress that my card had been refused and she had no way of contacting me.
Both of course dear readers absolute lies.
Managed to find the last room in an absolutely gorgeous hotel up the road, paid at reception with the same debit card!

Room Tip: My tip?...Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Nick R
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We booked this hotel through Late Rooms but made the error of not checking the reviews.......big mistake!!
We noted one review where a guest turned up only to find there was no record of a booking.
We therefore decided to phone the 'hotel' the day before to check, we were told the booking was confirmed.
After a three hour drive and a quarter of a mile walk from the long stay car park with luggage, we arrived only to be told there was no record of the booking. We couldn't believe it. The guy in reception phoned the proprietor and we were asked to wait 20 mins as she was not in the area.
Upon arrival, the proprietor proceeded to blame Late Rooms for the error and a member of her staff for the blunder of mis-informing us of the room availability......not once did she accept ANY responsibility for the mess or offer a personal apology....unbelievable!!

Upon seeing the general condition of the place, I would say we had a lucky escape...we went to Tourist Info, who were aware of the problems with this hotel,and found us alternative accommodation.

AVOID THIS 'HOTEL' AT ALL COSTS!!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
14  Thank TedandJudy
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

The Crown Inn has to be some modern day bad joke! In the middle of this beautiful town is this hovel that with all our laws on health and safety, building regulations, licensed premises etc I'm amazed that this place is even able to operate! Why oh why are they allowed to even advertise on all the web hotel booking sites. Believe all you read here in relation to this place, it's a disgrace and all those associated in its management should be thoroughly ashamed, fact is, there not! And it's that that makes it a bad joke.

• Stayed: June 2012
14  Thank Alatter
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had a one stay night and as we were paying £80 for a double room we were expecting a nice comfy inn - didn't bother to check on trip advisor as our friends had already booked the room for us. The hotel itself was dirty and smelly, our room was dusty and the bathroom was a tiny, grubby worn out cupboard, bed uncomfortable, not a pleasant sleeping experience - was not looking forward to breakfast and was not disappointed - the table cloth was dirty, speckled with crumbs and plate and cup grubby. Breakfast staff were friendly enough, but the whole experience felt decidedly seedy. We did not want to embarrass our lovely friends by complaining and they said their room was Ok with a nice big bathroom They said it was 'interestingly shabby' - we thought just shabby - I wouldn't go there if I were you, not a pleasant experience. Lewes nice little town with a lovely clean teashop in high street, thank heavens!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends