“Absolutely appalling 'Hotel'”

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Absolutely appalling 'Hotel'”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We booked this hotel through Late Rooms but made the error of not checking the reviews.......big mistake!!
We noted one review where a guest turned up only to find there was no record of a booking.
We therefore decided to phone the 'hotel' the day before to check, we were told the booking was confirmed.
After a three hour drive and a quarter of a mile walk from the long stay car park with luggage, we arrived only to be told there was no record of the booking. We couldn't believe it. The guy in reception phoned the proprietor and we were asked to wait 20 mins as she was not in the area.
Upon arrival, the proprietor proceeded to blame Late Rooms for the error and a member of her staff for the blunder of mis-informing us of the room availability......not once did she accept ANY responsibility for the mess or offer a personal apology....unbelievable!!

Upon seeing the general condition of the place, I would say we had a lucky escape...we went to Tourist Info, who were aware of the problems with this hotel,and found us alternative accommodation.

AVOID THIS 'HOTEL' AT ALL COSTS!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
14 Thank TedandJudy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

The Crown Inn has to be some modern day bad joke! In the middle of this beautiful town is this hovel that with all our laws on health and safety, building regulations, licensed premises etc I'm amazed that this place is even able to operate! Why oh why are they allowed to even advertise on all the web hotel booking sites. Believe all you read here in relation to this place, it's a disgrace and all those associated in its management should be thoroughly ashamed, fact is, there not! And it's that that makes it a bad joke.

• Stayed June 2012
14 Thank Alatter

Travelers are raving about these Lewes hotels

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had a one stay night and as we were paying £80 for a double room we were expecting a nice comfy inn - didn't bother to check on trip advisor as our friends had already booked the room for us. The hotel itself was dirty and smelly, our room was dusty and the bathroom was a tiny, grubby worn out cupboard, bed uncomfortable, not a pleasant sleeping experience - was not looking forward to breakfast and was not disappointed - the table cloth was dirty, speckled with crumbs and plate and cup grubby. Breakfast staff were friendly enough, but the whole experience felt decidedly seedy. We did not want to embarrass our lovely friends by complaining and they said their room was Ok with a nice big bathroom They said it was 'interestingly shabby' - we thought just shabby - I wouldn't go there if I were you, not a pleasant experience. Lewes nice little town with a lovely clean teashop in high street, thank heavens!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank Brenda B
London
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I booked this through LateRooms, then cancelled the day after when I found more suitable accommodation. But they charged me anyway. When I asked for my money back they wouldn't even speak to me, and put the phone down on me – and Late Rooms – let alone give me my money back.
Obviously I will be calling the authorities or – as I feel might be more appropriate – call in the muscle.

Read the other reviews, as I should have – avoid this rathole.

Room Tip: Chez Jo B&B was great...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Dave H
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The pub is a typical locals pub, everyone seemed to know everyone else. The beer was good and the service friendly. Whilst the hotel needed some attention and our room was a little odd, with the strangest little ensuite shower room / toilet. It was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was ample and cooked to order. We had booked here regardless of the reviews on Tripadvisor because we couldn't find another B and B that would let us bring our small dog. This is not the finest hotel we have ever stayed in, it may be the worst but it was O.K. It did what we wanted.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We booked our one night stay at The Crown Inn to coincide with a friend's wedding. We booked online a few months in advance but decided to call a few days before our visit to make sure we were expected and that there were no problems with our booking. I was told to 'Call back later - I don't know what's happening and the manager isn't here'. This didn't fill me with confidence for our stay, but I called back a few hours later and spoke to a very helpful gentleman who assured me that we were expected and the room was ready for our arrival.

When we arrived to check into our room, we were 'greeted' by a pub full of drunken locals (understandable for a Saturday afternoon, but a separate entrance for hotel accommodation would have been nice) and a particularly unhelpful barman, who handed the telephone to one of the men sitting at the bar instructing him to call someone who 'knows what's going on'.

Twenty minutes later we were still standing at the bar awaiting an answer, our bags around our feet and the conversation with the locals dwindling and strained (my partner was an usher at our friends wedding and was still dressed in his tailcoat which provided a great source of amusement for them and embarrassment for us).

We asked the barman again what was happening and were asked to go through to the 'reception area' where we were informed that there was a problem with our room (that the carpet was soaking wet), that there were no other rooms available and that they were awaiting a call back about 'alternative accommodation' elsewhere. At this point we told them to cancel our booking and we would rather drive home (a distance of nearly 50miles) than stay here or anywhere else they shoved us. The whole experience from start to finish was badly handled and frankly unacceptable.

At the wedding we met other people who were booked into the Crown who said that the standard of their accommodation left a lot to be desired but as they had no alternative they would 'rough it for a night'.

My advise is - if you like loud, boozy pubs and impolite, disorganised staff, then the Crown Inn is the place to stay in Lewes. If however, you expect a little more for your money and don't wish to change your plans at the drop of a hat, I suggest you book elsewhere.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere!
8 Thank Becky M
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I made a booking in this property for stay at 4th of May 2013 to attend a wedding reception in Lewes. I made my booking via Eviivo 4 weeks in advance.

I paid the booking fee of £75.00p in full and I received confirmation from Eviivo.

On 3rd of May 2013, I received a very short e-mail message from the owner of the property that my booking will not be honored. Her e-mail was just saying: "I am sorry, but I am not able to Honor your booking tomorrow night. I continually close down my rooms, but the system still accept bookings."

I immediately called The Crown Inn but she was not available (which was very convenient for her). I requested alternate accommodation but no one from The Crown Inn offered any help, assistance or resolution. The person who took my call eventually introduced himself as a person from behind the bar. He did not offer me alternate accommodation or any compensation. He literally said, "This is not my problem. If she dishonored your booking, then it is so." When I asked about him offering me an alternate accommodation, he again literally said, "I can not help you. This is not my problem." I have recorded our entire conversation.

After this conversation I also called Eviivo. They put me on hold for half an hour. Then there was a recorded message, telling that their offices are closed. On the receipt which they originally sent me, there was a recommendation to write an email. So I immediately wrote them an email.

On 4th of May 2013, I contacted Eviivo again. The person who took my call had no information about the dishonored booking (which meant that no one even bothered to read my email. It is very convenient for Eviivo to put customers on hold all day during the day and then not read their emails!!!!)

The guy said, he has to contact The Crown Inn. I was put on hold again for a long time.

He later came back and said, the hotel would have offered us alternate accommodation if we had talked them nicely. So it was "our fault that we were not being offered an alternate accommodation."

I must say Eviivo is not second to The Crown Inn in terms of patronizing and victimizing paying customers. Both are treating you the same way. They first try to avoid you at all costs, then threaten you and genuinely expect you to walk away without a refund or a relocation!!!

I told the gentleman that I have fully recorded my conversation with the hotel and I would only be more that happy to play it to support my case to him or to a tribunal.

The only alternate hotel he could offer was 12 miles away which meant that I have to change my train tickets and cab bookings to the wedding reception.

Eviivo guy said, he will cancel the booking and refund me. I asked for an e-mail confirmation. He said, he would send an e-mail.

So far, they neither refunded me nor sent me a confirmation e-mail.

As per their contract, Eviivo was obliged to offer me an alternate accommodation, and so far they have failed to do so.

My advice to the fellow travelers is not to trust The Crown Inn and Eviivo. They only offer the worst ever customer service possible!!!

16 Thank Tolga T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
White Hart Hotel
#5 of 8 in Lewes
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted

Been to Crown Inn? Share your experiences!