“Not so bad”
Review of Crown Inn

Crown Inn
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The pub is a typical locals pub, everyone seemed to know everyone else. The beer was good and the service friendly. Whilst the hotel needed some attention and our room was a little odd, with the strangest little ensuite shower room / toilet. It was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was ample and cooked to order. We had booked here regardless of the reviews on Tripadvisor because we couldn't find another B and B that would let us bring our small dog. This is not the finest hotel we have ever stayed in, it may be the worst but it was O.K. It did what we wanted.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We booked our one night stay at The Crown Inn to coincide with a friend's wedding. We booked online a few months in advance but decided to call a few days before our visit to make sure we were expected and that there were no problems with our booking. I was told to 'Call back later - I don't know what's happening and the manager isn't here'. This didn't fill me with confidence for our stay, but I called back a few hours later and spoke to a very helpful gentleman who assured me that we were expected and the room was ready for our arrival.

When we arrived to check into our room, we were 'greeted' by a pub full of drunken locals (understandable for a Saturday afternoon, but a separate entrance for hotel accommodation would have been nice) and a particularly unhelpful barman, who handed the telephone to one of the men sitting at the bar instructing him to call someone who 'knows what's going on'.

Twenty minutes later we were still standing at the bar awaiting an answer, our bags around our feet and the conversation with the locals dwindling and strained (my partner was an usher at our friends wedding and was still dressed in his tailcoat which provided a great source of amusement for them and embarrassment for us).

We asked the barman again what was happening and were asked to go through to the 'reception area' where we were informed that there was a problem with our room (that the carpet was soaking wet), that there were no other rooms available and that they were awaiting a call back about 'alternative accommodation' elsewhere. At this point we told them to cancel our booking and we would rather drive home (a distance of nearly 50miles) than stay here or anywhere else they shoved us. The whole experience from start to finish was badly handled and frankly unacceptable.

At the wedding we met other people who were booked into the Crown who said that the standard of their accommodation left a lot to be desired but as they had no alternative they would 'rough it for a night'.

My advise is - if you like loud, boozy pubs and impolite, disorganised staff, then the Crown Inn is the place to stay in Lewes. If however, you expect a little more for your money and don't wish to change your plans at the drop of a hat, I suggest you book elsewhere.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere!
8  Thank Becky M
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I made a booking in this property for stay at 4th of May 2013 to attend a wedding reception in Lewes. I made my booking via Eviivo 4 weeks in advance.

I paid the booking fee of £75.00p in full and I received confirmation from Eviivo.

On 3rd of May 2013, I received a very short e-mail message from the owner of the property that my booking will not be honored. Her e-mail was just saying: "I am sorry, but I am not able to Honor your booking tomorrow night. I continually close down my rooms, but the system still accept bookings."

I immediately called The Crown Inn but she was not available (which was very convenient for her). I requested alternate accommodation but no one from The Crown Inn offered any help, assistance or resolution. The person who took my call eventually introduced himself as a person from behind the bar. He did not offer me alternate accommodation or any compensation. He literally said, "This is not my problem. If she dishonored your booking, then it is so." When I asked about him offering me an alternate accommodation, he again literally said, "I can not help you. This is not my problem." I have recorded our entire conversation.

After this conversation I also called Eviivo. They put me on hold for half an hour. Then there was a recorded message, telling that their offices are closed. On the receipt which they originally sent me, there was a recommendation to write an email. So I immediately wrote them an email.

On 4th of May 2013, I contacted Eviivo again. The person who took my call had no information about the dishonored booking (which meant that no one even bothered to read my email. It is very convenient for Eviivo to put customers on hold all day during the day and then not read their emails!!!!)

The guy said, he has to contact The Crown Inn. I was put on hold again for a long time.

He later came back and said, the hotel would have offered us alternate accommodation if we had talked them nicely. So it was "our fault that we were not being offered an alternate accommodation."

I must say Eviivo is not second to The Crown Inn in terms of patronizing and victimizing paying customers. Both are treating you the same way. They first try to avoid you at all costs, then threaten you and genuinely expect you to walk away without a refund or a relocation!!!

I told the gentleman that I have fully recorded my conversation with the hotel and I would only be more that happy to play it to support my case to him or to a tribunal.

The only alternate hotel he could offer was 12 miles away which meant that I have to change my train tickets and cab bookings to the wedding reception.

Eviivo guy said, he will cancel the booking and refund me. I asked for an e-mail confirmation. He said, he would send an e-mail.

So far, they neither refunded me nor sent me a confirmation e-mail.

As per their contract, Eviivo was obliged to offer me an alternate accommodation, and so far they have failed to do so.

My advice to the fellow travelers is not to trust The Crown Inn and Eviivo. They only offer the worst ever customer service possible!!!

16  Thank Tolga T
Reviewed April 23, 2013

After a 3 hr drive we turned up to find that they had cancelled our room without any notice or explanation! I think we had a lucky escape :)

Stupidly we did not check Tripadvisor before, however we did find another place to stay through Tourist Information.

One word.... Skanky!

Room Tip: Find a different place to stay.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Gary P
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The worst hotel we've ever stayed in, chairs in bar all stained, the whole place dirty throughout, duvat covers not even ironed, whole place was cold, how they had the nerve to charge £70 per night is quite unbelievable.
Needs to be closed down.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank eastbourne7
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is the worst Hotel I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in some dumps!
Dirty, non engaging staff, bed linen smelled damp and dirty...food...no thanks...go to Macdonalds!
You will be better off sleeping in your car.

Room Tip: don't bother
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
24  Thank Spert44
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Called to say I'd be late, but would be there before midnight. Told me to call when I arrived, which I did at 11.40. No answer on phone or from ringing door bell. Left me standing in the rain with luggage. Friend took me in for the night. Called booking.com to explain what happened and cancelled reservation. Next day email forwarded from booking.com from proprietoress claiming they stayed up til midnight and no-one came.

Called in to establishment next day to confront proptietoress about her claim make sure I had the right number etc. She continued to lie to my face holding her baby in her hands and went on to charge for both nights claiming they waited up and then that I never cancelled in person. These people are shadey, unethical. From the rest of the reviews I feel lucky not to have stayed there. May credit card company made good on the charge from the propietors because of the failure to supply any service, but could do nothing against the establishment. These people should be in prison, not in the service industry.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo