“Lewes Folk Festival”
Review of Crown Inn

Crown Inn
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Lewes
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were 4 morris dancers staying here for Lewes Folk festival. A friend of mine accidently booked us in to this hotel instead of another one just up the road (a posher one). If I had read the reviews I think I would have done an about turn but in actual fact we had a really nice weekend. Yes, it is run down but hey, this building is really, really old and the conservatory (where you have breakfast) is just amazing. Most importantly it was clean and the bed was good quality. It's worth noting that the landlandy (who was very nice) doesn't acually own it, the company that does has no interest in maintaining it. If she was the owner, she could get funding to restore it (it's grade 1 listed). The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was very good.

It did have an air of 'Faulty Towers' about it be to be honest if it had of been in better condition then I could not have afforded it. At £40 per night for 1 person in a double room with breakfast. I thought was good value.

So, if you are up for staying somewhere with lots of character, then this is the place for you!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Amanda M

Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend decided to stay in a 'nice' hotel in the historic town of lewes to celebrate our 1 year of being together.

We first arrived to be greeted by the pleasant staff (of which were happy to help). We then went over to reception through a pub to sign in. The employee showed us to our room, of which was so far back in the hotel, we were staying next to a permenant resident in the hotel, who watched tv disturbingly loud and smoked in his room. At first glance it was a nice room, and then we went further. The first thing I did was look at the bathroom, of which was incredibly dim lit, horrible colors and broken lights.

I then went further and put our bags on the wobbly double bed (and a lot of our stuff stayed on the horribly misplaced single bed, which looked like it was put there as there was no where else to put it). Lying on the bed and looking about, I started to regret paying 75 pounds for a room like that. To see the tv, we had to strain out heads. The ceiling looks as though it was made out of asbestos, and the poor decorations included a clock with a cupcake on it, which has plastic wrapping around the hands. After my girlfriend was getting more and more distressed by the situation, I decided to run her a hot bath. After 10 seconds, the luke warm water turned into freezing water. I decided not to give up, so continued on to fill up a kettle and boil it, for 3 and a half hours, i managed to provide the bath I promised. We went to sleep and in the morning woke up and felt like we stayed awake all night and lied on a floor.

For 75 pounds this was an increadibly distressful experience, so I decided to write two complaints requesting some sort of compensation for our stay. After having no response, I have decided to warn other people before staying in this embarrassing excuse for accomondation.

• Stayed: July 2012
12  Thank Liammatthews4444
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Only thing going for the Crown is the location. In short the place is terrible, dirty, passageway smelt of urine, breakfast was in a dark, dingy and unclean room, with sticky placemats and oil stains on the ceiling. At £75 a night it is essentially extortion for what you get, only took it as had no option as had to stay in Lewes at short notice. Staff were friendly but proceeded to tell us about the low quality of the patrons stealing bedding and light fittings. Didn't have any problems with payment that other reviewers experienced. Avoid at all costs...unless its unavoidable!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Bjdrsa
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I booked a room for one night through Laterooms.com,and I feel I have to warn everyone. If anyone on this site has given this place more than 1 star then I would say they are probably associated with the hotel. Yes it's a budget hotel, and I wasn't expecting the Ritz or anything, but it REALLY doesn't look like the website. The worst part of all is that when you arrive, the woman behind the bar looks at you blankly and tells you that that she doesn't have a booking for you. I arrived at 6pm, and I'm a middle-aged woman travelling alone, and she just shrugged her shoulders and said there was nothing she could do. Of course I rang Laterooms and they confirmed that yes, I was booked in, but this dear lady let me walk off into the rain with nowhere to stay like she didn't have a care in the world. To be honest I'm glad I didn't stay there because it is a real flea-pit of a pub, but it took one and a half hours of walking around in the wind and rain (and feeling pretty vulnerable, I can tell you) to find anywhere else to stay, and that cost me over £100.

It was only after I started reading the reviews when I got home that I realised that of course it's something she does all the time - presumably so she doesn't have to pay Laterooms (or some other booking site) a fee. The place is shabby and cheap and the treatment that you get there is even SHABBIER. The place is a disgrace and that woman should be ashamed of herself. I have never written a review in my life before because I haven't felt that I could make a difference - but if I can prevent even one poor person having to go through this ordeal, then I will feel that my experience was not entirely in vain. PLEASE DO NOT GO THERE!!

Room Tip: This place is a complete nightmare and anyone who books in here will be very disappointed.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
18  Thank Maryminniemum
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have just been in UK for a wedding - we live in Denmark. In good faith I booked 2 double rooms (2 adults and 2 children) at the Crown Inn at the beginning of August, through Booking.com for the night of Saturday 22 Sept.

We left for UK on Thursday 20th (no access to e-mail), and after staying in London for a couple of nights, arrive at the Crown Inn 2 hours before the wedding, to be told that our credit card payment had not been accepted and the rooms had been given to some other "lucky" people.

The woman we spoke to who we presumed was the owner claimed that she had checked our booking on 21st September, our credit card had been rejected, and that Booking.com had e-mailed us telling us this sad news.

I have the following points to make.

1. How on earth were we supposed to know this if we didnt have access to internet.
2. Even if we had seen the e-mail - one day notice to find alternative accommodation would have been impossible.
3. We have used our credit card to book a fair deal of holidays over the net - problem free.
4. Why didnt the owner of the Crown call us to check that we were on our way.
5. On returning to Denmark and checking my mail - no e-mail from Booking.com had ever been sent.

Conclusion:
The only conclusion we can make, is that the owner of the Crown got a better offer for the 2 rooms and rented them to someone else.

Despite Lewes apparently being the mecca of wedding arrangements, we managed, with the wonderful help from the tourist office, to find two rooms at two different hotels in town.

Lucky Break
On talking to one of the locals in town, we were told that we had had a lucky break, as, in his opinion the Crown Inn was the worst hotel in town.

C.
Denmark

Room Tip: Use Lewes fantastically friendly and efficient tourist office.
Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank C R
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Like many others, we booked a night in this establishment via booking.com. When we turned up, they claimed not to have recieved the booking (a subsequent phone call and email exchange with booking.com, who were most apologetic, showed this to be untrue). However, the Crown said they 'would see what they could do to get us a room in Lewes'. Lo and behold, one phone call to another pub and we had a room, albeit a more expensive one. Given, on the evidence of other comments in TripAdvisor, that this is far from an isolated occurence, there is clearly something going on here. Let's speculate. Because they pay booking.com a fee, the hotel uses any bookings received in this way merely as 'fall-back' for when they do not fill the hotel through direct bookings. They then have a convenient arrangement with another pub to send those whose booking.com reservations they claim not to have received to them.Accommodation is sufficiently at a premium in Lewes that the bumped party is probably grateful to have a bed for the night.
In fact, we were rather grateful in retrospect that the Crown pulled this stunt. The general ambience and bar clientele had made us wonder what we might be letting ourselves in for. Reading the comments from those who had the misfortune to stay at the Crown rather confirmed it. Lewes is a delightful town: please do not spoil it by trying to combine a visit with any dealings with this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Colin H
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I've never written a negative review on one of these websites before but I wanted to warn others and it seems there are other warnings here too. I wish I'd seen them before I booked. I made a reservation through booking.com for the Crown Inn a few months ago for 4 of us to stay for a wedding on Saturday night. I then emailed them to ask a question and they didn't get back to two separate emails. I telephoned and had my question answered and left them my phone number, so they had this and my personal email as well as my details via booking.com

I turned up on Saturday afternoon and during a fairly long wait at the reception desk overheard another guy saying he was there to find out why 3 rooms he'd reserved for his students had suddenly been cancelled. When the woman (the owner, I think) finally came down she said she'd found out my credit card details had been wrong, two days earlier and that she'd informed booking.com who would have emailed me. I didn't get anything by email and, given that they had my personal details asked why they hadn't got in touch with me directly. My credit card details have not changed and I've made other bookings with booking.com so to be honest I didn't believe her story. She didn't apologise at all, just said she didn't make phone calls and that she was legally within her rights. I expressed how upset I was that we were all here for a wedding and had nowhere else to stay, but she wouldn't even call around to find another place for us, just advised me to go to the tourist information centre and again told me she was legally within her rights. When I went and mentioned the Crown Inn there was much rolling of eyes - the same thing had happened to the guy behind me, with his students, and it clearly happens all the time.

Several local people at the wedding confirmed that this is a terrible place, both for dropping bookings and for the uncleanliness of the rooms (which I didn't see). I don't understand how a place like this survives. We ended up having to drive back to London that evening after the wedding (i.e. one of us having not to drink) as all the places recommended by the tourist centre were full at such short notice.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Room Tip: DO NOT BOOK - you'll probably have to find somewhere else (if you can) at the last minute.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends