“Great location”

Mermaid Cafe
Ranked #82 of 360 Restaurants in Hastings
Cuisines: Cafe, Seafood, British
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Kent
“Great location”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We often get fish and chips here when we are having a quick visit to Hastings. It is has a great location in the old time just across the road from the new art gallery and the beach. It has a old style caff feel to it with good fish and chips but it could do with some better quality drinks and it really is best just for fish and chips so avoid if that is not what you feel like.

• Visited February 2013

Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Really Nice Fish and Chips”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Like JamesW my Husband and I took his Mum and my Mum to this fish restaurant on the first sunny day of 2013. Three of us had the cod and chips one had plaice and chips we were very surprised that we each had 2 pieces of fish which the batter was very light and the fish its self was very tasty, chips were good as well.
We all said that is was very nice and very good value money. Best fish and chips we have had in a long while. The restaurant was very busy there was a queue for a table.
We will be going back again.

• Visited February 2013
Kent
“Great Fish and Chips”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm sitting outside the Mermaid restaurant eating a delicious cod and chips in the sun with a glorious blue sky- nearly the first sunny day of 2013. Just up the road are the fishermans sheds and the Jerwood gallery is opposite .

“Nice but overcooked”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Somebody else mentioned the overcooked batter and we found the same. Also, both of us ordered regular cod, yet one was a third bigger than the other - same price, though. The chips were also over cooked for my liking, but we were given plenty. The fish under the batter tasted pretty fresh to us and was nice.

I like the old-school seaside look of the place but for the prices, I'd expect quality better than what I get in London from a sea front fish and chippy.

Hastings, United Kingdom
“Nothing great”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Soggy chips and over greasy fish I'm afraid. I have only been here onece though. The waitress was however, very sweet.

Visited January 2012