“Friendly clean hotel”

and 1 more site!
White Rock Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Nice comfy beds, nice sized room with power shower, nice service and dog friendly. Perfect for us. Evening meal was good, breakfasts we're good (and pretty good value for money). Would recommend and will be coming back again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bert_77_77

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have stayed on many occasions, and looking forward to our next stay over New Year. To me, this place has that X-factor that you feel when you go in somewehere and feel instantly at home. Family run makes a huge difference.Totally dog-friendly.Fantastic location; staff; food and drink. 20 out of 10 .

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Waterside G
Reviewed November 7, 2012

As you will see this is the third time I've stayed at this hotel in a relatively short space of time (2 years). As Hastings is so close to London me and my fiancee often pop down here for a night or two by the sea and The White Rock is our hotel of choice.

Having stayed in a rear facing king (£84) and rear double (£64) we now gave the sea view king a try (£84).

What has always impressed me about the White Rock was the good value prices and nicely decorated rooms. However, I have to say that this time I was disappointed with the state of the room. Firstly it is a lot smaller than the rear king and the bathroom was smaller than the rear double's bathroom. There were more than a few scratches and scuffs on the wall and fixtures and fittings were starting to look very tired. Also the bathroom, whilst clean, had a faint unpleasant sewage smell.

As other reviewers have mentioned the rooms are VERY hot. Truly don't understand this as when we were there it must have only been about 7 degrees max outside and all radiators were off inside the room. Can't the hotel consider installing air conditioners? I worry that in the summer the temperature would be unbearable. We ended up having the window open all night and as a result were subjected to noisy traffic and torrential rain. I'm not a light sleeper but I resented having to have the window open in the middle of winter because the room was too hot.

Also the hotel used to offer guests a discount on the breakfast as it's not included in the price. On previous visits this was always mentioned at check in and in the info in the room. This time there was no mention of any discount either at check in or in the room which I was a bit disappointed with. I wondered if the hotel is under new management? We decided as a result not to eat breakfast in the hotel.

Another bug bear was that when we tried to turn lights on in the room we discovered they had *all* been unplugged - seriously?! We then had to pull the bed out so we could plug the bedside lights in which was highly annoying. I don't believe this is an any way necessary and it's cheeky to expect guests to get on their hands and knees to plug lamps in - what if we had been elderly? Can only assume this is some sort of energy saving idea but I was really irritated with this.

As you can see, lots of little annoyances which have subsequently made me consider trying somewhere else next time I'm in Hastings. The rooms need a good lick of paint and maybe a couple of new bits of furniture to get them back to the standard of when I first visited. If I return I would probably only consider paying £64 for the rear double which I still consider very good value.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Student123
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Two nights here - a seafront room was a good size, clean and well-furnished with good quality toiletries and towels. The hotel seems to be popular with the locals, and the dining room and bar are buzzy even on a wet autumn weekend. Public areas are well-maintained and clean. Breakfast used good quality ingredients, and though not included in the room rate still made the overall cost pretty fair value. The White Rock is a good option for a seafront stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This hotel was really dog friendly. There are two lovely resident shaggy standard poodles and all the staff made us feel welcome with our dog. She was allowed everywhere with us except for one small area of the dining room. We had a great sea view from our room which was lovely. We ate in the bar and the food was really nice- usual pub type food but cooked well. Nice to stroll along the prom and on the beach right outside the front door. Next door to the White Rock Theatre so perfect if you are going to a performance there. Ideal too if visiting the nearby University.
Our only complaint would be that it seemed really almost unbearably hot everywhere in spite of our room having all sources of heat turned off and windows open. I'm sure this could easily be remedied and then we would happily stay again.

Room Tip: The entrance from the rear car park takes you to the second floor, so may be convenient to have a r...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed only one night, just felt like a night out, and had never been to Hastings before. We turned up at Hotel by chance and they could not have been more helpful. Breakfast was not included but did not work out much more expensive than staying at others where it was included.Parking free. The rooms are clean and well maintained. Good views and location. Excellent breakfast. Very friendly staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here for 4 days in September and found the room very good and the bathroom very clean. Having paid the top whack price for the first floor front room I expected everything to be good.

My only critisicm is breakfast isn't included in the price for the room. Whilst what you eat is charged for and discounted for hotel guests in the 'bistro cafe' I thought the prices quite high for the food served . Everything was hot and tasy but £5 (before discount) for a some bacon between 2 slices of bread is pricey.

Holidaymakers like a bit of pampering for their hard earned cash these days. Yes this was a dissappointment and let the hotel down so i only give it average.

Room Tip: Front room can be quite noisy but have a great view of the sea
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple