“Nice clean hotel”

and 1 more site!
White Rock Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Nice clean hotel my only complaint would be the shower, needed to be more powerful

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed February 16, 2012

I have stayed at this Hotel 3 times now, and can normally highly recommend it. I love the decor, the recent refurbishment has improved it extremely! Unfortunately, when we stayed there in Feb 2012 we had a complaint. We wanted one of the rear rooms, as had stayed there the previous summer, and totally loved it, we couldn't wait to return. So I booked us in as a Valentine treat in Feb. When we arrived about 6pm, the room was very cold so we turned up the heating, the room was still cold after an hour, so we checked the radiators to find that 2 of the 3 needed bleeding,which was done within 5 minutes...so far so good. It took a long time to warm the room up, and we had to ask for extra duvets for our bed. I found it impossible to sleep, as I feel the cold really bad, and throughout the night I had to make more calls to reception about being so cold. The room costs £85 a night, so you expect at least to be warm. I found out that the Manager tells the night staff to turn OFF the heating overnight. I believe it was turned off between midnight and 6am. It was Feb and it was Icy, and -2 outside. When the outside temp is -2 I do believe the heating should stay ON, all through the night. It was put on for an hour, but then turned off again (maybe the staff are afraid of the Manager?) It certainly seemed that way to me, I could be wrong?
So although usually I would recommend this Hotel, I wouldn't recommend staying here during the winter months if, like me you feel the cold. I have to say though, the staff were very helpful, and the matter was resolved with no argument, to my satisfaction.. The Manager could do with using his common sense and letting the staff know that it is ok to put the heating on occasionally....especially when it is -2 outside!
I have looked at the previous complaints and found that they have all been sorted out since, I noticed some people have complained about the heat in the summer months, I can tell you that some portable air conditioning units have been put in the rooms now. So they are fixing things, and I fully expect the heating to no longer be an issue. In which case I would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: We have stayed in 2 rooms, and looked at several, they all seemed really nice. I prefer the privacy...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie R
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We stayed whilst at the panto next door. Very friendly staff, food was not at all expensive but very very nice. Our room had a lovely view of the sea and was very warm and homely. We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: One facing the sea is just perfect
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 5, 2012

When it's clement weather, sit outside on verandah, wind protected, gaze out to sea, watch the fishermen and seagulls. Inside is a delightfully furbished dining room and bar with wide menu, from light snax to larger meals. Helpful and smiling staff, a super but almost invisible host who has wrought wonders with this once boring hotel. (solar panels too). Free parking available. Rooms are clean, well kept, well provided, wi-fi enabled. Windows that open to the fresh sea air. minutes to shops, and theatre next door

Room Tip: Have a front room for view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2012

The hotel is clean, staff friendly. We had a kingsize room with false balcony on the first floor with sea view. The sea is just over the road so not far if you want a paddle.
The bed gave a great nights sleep, & bedding was snuggly & warm.
The bath was big enough for 2 & coffee & milk topped up on request.
Full breakfast was cooked to how we liked & served by smiling staff.
Overall the hotel was a lovely place to stay for our 3 night break no regrets on choosing it.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Firstly, a big thumbs up to the local tourist information centre who not only recommended White Rock Hotel, but booked the rooms for us.
Upon arrival in the carpark at the rear, our expectations were quite low. There was scaffolding everywhere and the entryway seemed small, narrow and not well lit.
We trundled through a cold walkway to a narrow corridor and followed signs to 'reception'. At this point, we were worried that the hotel was going to be less than basic.

An inspection of the rooms quickly allayed any fears we had. They were well appointed with lovely linen, water, coffee making facilities and a small bar fridge. We needed a connecting room for the children which had been arranged without concern. The bathroom connected the two rooms.
The twin room for the children (aged 4 and 6) was perfect - warm, cosy and quiet (and their own tv!). The bedding was fluffy and comfortable for them. I am unsure what security features there are for the door as we just lugged one of the heavy luggage bags in front of it ensuring the children couldn't get out.
The bathroom was spotless, modern with lovely linen and toiletries. The only downside in the bathroom was the glass hinged screen which swung past the bath edge and didn't have an auto return on it - we had concerns one of us or the children would walk into/thru it. This was easily fixed using a bathtowel to keep it from moving past the bed edge.

The double bed was warm and comfortable with fresh crisp linen.

We didn't eat dinner in the restaurant only due to extreme tiredness and the local pizza place was more than happy to deliver to the rear carpark (for ease).

We did eat breakfast in the restaurant and couldn't have been happier. It was decently priced and delicious.

The service throughout our stay was pleasant and accomodating.

The only down side is the size of the lift (tiny is an understatement) and the narrow creaky corridors.

We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Cooper2085
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Rooms are nice and it's great to have a window that opens - fantastic shower too. Bit cheeky to have to pay extra for breakfast though. When being shown to your room by the slightly nerdy guy in reception don't be put off by the slim-line darkly painted corridors and creaky floorboards - you aren't in The Amityville Horror, just pray no-one is coming in the opposite direction because there are no passing places and it could be a squeeze. The woman on reception is an unsmiling very unhelpful type who just wants your dosh double quick then 'NEXT!' So apart from the staff, this is a pretty decent hotel and Hastings is great.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family