“Amazing”

Combe Haven Holiday Park - Haven
Reviewed May 2, 2014

One of the best holidays I have had. The scenery was absolutely beautiful and beaches were local. The staff were lovely, one in particular was a lifeguard named sam, he was very helpful and always very happy to help. All round great week and it was a shame it had to end. However the activities were a little over prices for how long each went on for. 9/10

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Sregan97
Combe H, Guest Relations Manager at Combe Haven Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Hello Sregan98
Thank you for wonderful feedback on your recent stay here at Combe Haven. I have passed on to our all departments to show them your feedback and they are so pleased you had a memorable holiday.
I have spoken with our leisure manager who has passed on to Sam your feedback and he was made up to know he played a big part of making your stay a good experience. Our Sports and leisure manager would also like to let you know that your feedback is very important to us and that all comments are looked into, as it’s our guests experience that matter greatly to us, the prices for all our activities are standardised throughout the haven parks but as mentioned before your feedback is taken on board and all looked into.
Thanks again for taking the time to review your stay we would love you to return and have another enjoyable holiday with us so call us anytime on 01424 4278791 with dates and we can give you some extra discount for returning back to haven, for now take care and have a wonderful summer.

Reception Team leader

Reviewed May 2, 2014

I will start of with saying I think I may have gone somewhere else to everyone on here as me & my family had a Amazing time & I made a point of taking lots if photos after I read reviews on here.

I would like to say Out of everyone on the park we truly found the best part of holiday was the customer service from everyone including reception ESP Hayley, cleaners always saying morning , arcade & bar staff, even best service at a Burger King we have been to with with hot, fresh food & really like the high-chairs there. Swimming & childrens Entertainment were also friendly enough but if I was to give a Award for person to go above & beyond to help it would go to Christine who works in the Spa Supermarket....because she was very friendly with my whole family & children, I needed a straw as my son will only have breakfast with one to suck up the milk (very odd I no) anyways I asked for one from a young blond girl who said sorry the only way I could get one was to buy a cup with one in costing £5.99...we thought about this...but Christine over heard said wait a sec she think she has some out the back.....she came back with some free slush puppy straws with spoons on the end we said Thankyou & explain about my son having a special bowl with a straw that's attached to it...she dashed off again & came back with the bowl I was talking about but had forgot to pack...when asking how much she said it was a gift for Free!!!! My Son was over the moon and we went back to the carvan and he ate 2 bowls cereal :0)

Barrell & mash Staff Friendly & I had a cocktail piña cola which was a nice treat & my son enjoyed a character ice cream.(very over priced, maybe not so bad if you buy character pot then if you was to take it each time then just pay for a scoop of ice cream to go in it)

My Sons Both really Loved the castle park & sandpit Park which was nice & clean.

Thankyou very much for the a Surprise Balloons, Birthday Card & Sparkling wine for My Husbands birthday he was Very Touched.

Clean lovely accommodation (number 54 sea view) Prestige (just remember if you pay for accommodation a dog can stay in, is it really gonna be that specia?defo worth the upgrade for us!!)

Sons aged 1 & 2 done water confidence which they REALLY enjoyed even if the water was abit on the cold side. They went swimming everyday!!0

Went to Sensory (All I would say is try for a more relaxing feel....music lower, micro phone volume turn down, I sat down & relaxed with my boy & he loved it then after 3-4mins jumped up and was matching singing grand old juke of York my son jumped out his skin & cried ...I'm just saying stick to using the floor till it's time to play with bubbles at the end etc..) my boys both loved this & worth going but I would limit classes to 12children max or change to 0-3

My Son Loved the Charter breakfast & my Husband had a extra large fry up with he enjoyed so much we went back again the next Day.

There is a very Steep hill to the local sea front & Nothing really to see or do on the beach (I would say drive to hastings or walk if your young & fit)
There is a very Steep hill to the Saxon centre (also Very Musky Smell) and steps so had to lift buggy in as lift not working but my son Enjoyed the Small Fun House play area so was worth it & he also had warm crisps which he loved.

We had a Great Time & really want to say Customer Service is one of the Highest Things that we were pleased with, we will be going to Haven again but to Weymouth, think we will try a summer house as we like to go someone different every year but loving Haven.

Thankyou Phil, Emma, Lucian & Marshall Boorman :0)

Room Tip: Go Prestige/Summer House or Higher
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Malakaiess

Hello Malakaiess
How lovely to read your review, thank you Emma for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.
I have just passed your feedback to all our departments so they can show their teams your review especially the Spar Shop where Christine works she was over the moon when she heard how much she impacted on your stay.
I do hope your husband had a special birthday and it was our pleasure to surprise him with his gifts on arrival.
Your tip on upgrading to higher caravans is a good advice too, though I can assure everyone reading the review that all our caravans are clean to the haven standard however they may not be as wide or as new as the prestige holiday homes, I am so pleased you loved seaview village 54 it is wonderful unique area.
You are going to have a fantastic time in Weymouth it is a wonderful town, I personally with my family have had some memorable holidays at Littlesea Haven Park so if I can help with putting any notes on your booking please e mail me or I can give you the park you are holidaying at their telephone number.
It was really lovely meeting you all and I really hope we get to meet another time.

Reception team leader

Reviewed April 28, 2014

I have just finished a week long holiday at Combe Haven and Can honestly say it was brilliant. I read the reviews of this place and was not really looking forward to going after reading them but how wrong was i for believing them. I Can Honestly say i have had one of my best holidays here and very much looking forward to going back soon !!

Room Tip: We Stayed Prestige ( Brilliant )
1  Thank matthew b
Combe H, Guest Relations Manager at Combe Haven Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Hello
Wow ... What a lovely review, thank you Matthew b.
We were also pleased that you decided to holiday with us at Combe Haven and that your stay was a memorable experience.
We were absolutely delighted that you loved our Park as much as we all do and I have passed on your wonderful review to our department managers so they can pass on to all the Team who I know will be really grateful for you taking the time to leave your comments, your feedback is truly invaluable and will help and guide future guests to know exactly what to expect when they visit us, so again thank you.
Please contact any time so we give you a quote for a future break with us where you will receive some extra discount for returning and if you have special request it would be my pleasure to allocate you your favourite area or caravan.
Kind regards and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back real soon.

Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a short break this week in a standard plus caravan 4 adults and 3 children had a a wonderful time. Prior to coming to the site I had a query which was dealt with in a professional friendly manner and nothing was too much trouble for them.
Upon arriving at the site a lot of people were booking in but the long que was short lived and we were dealt with by a lovelly lady with a warm welcome we were given out keys and information and passes and was told if we had any problems just to come right back and they would deal with our enquiry, we didn't need to do this we enjoyed a fabulous 4 day break in the sunshine visited Hastings and rye and spent a day on site. The children enjoyed some arranged activities in the pool and again nothing was too much trouble ALL the staff we polite helpful and engaged in conversation to ensure we were having an enjoyable holiday. The kids entertainment and evening entertainment was spot on and fun. Activities were well organised and easy to join in. The park itself had the entertainment and restaurant where we enjoyed some delicious dinners and breakfast the local spar was plentiful for what we required again pleasant welcoming staff. There was also a lounge bar which we visited, two play parks for all ages, a activity centre, pitch and putt course. This is a large site with all te amenities you would need without going off site. The pool was clean and tidy. And the park also put on a BBQ. The only things I could warn people about is that it is quiet hilly but this didn't deter people with disabled needs but may put some people off, but we would highly recommend the park to anyone and would most definitely visit again. Thanks to all the staff we came into contact with, they made the week most pleasant. :)

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Carter767
Combe H, Guest Relations Manager at Combe Haven Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Carter767
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of your recent stay here at Combe Haven.
I have sent your review to all our department managers to pass your kind words on to all their team, we are all truly pleased you had a remarkable holiday.
Feedback from our guests is invaluable and we really do appreciate our guests taking the time to leave their reviews.
If you ever wish to return and I do hope you consider, call us anytime on 01424 427891 to which you would be entitled to some extra discount.
Kind regards and have a wonderful summer

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Our stay here was good fun but oh so disorganised!! The leisure staff are amazing and very patient with the children, unfortunately, activities seem to be overbooked on every session, obviously a way for management to make money. With due respects to the activity staff, especially Andy, this is not their fault and needs to be rectified by those actually booking people on. We did archery a couple of times, each group had more than the specified number but Andy coped very well and was excellent with the children. I am sure this breaks all health and safety rules, but he did very well.

There are plenty of activities but they all seem somewhat chaotic but hopefully that will settle down as the season moves on. We would definitely stay there again, be prepared for steep hills though!!!

1  Thank Helen W
Combe H, Guest Relations Manager at Combe Haven Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Dear Helen W
Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay with us.
I have spoken with our leisure manager and from your comments he has replied with the following message “With regards to the feedback, I was aware at the time of the situation regarding the Archery session. The ratio is 12 participants to 1 instructor and 24 participants to 2 instructors.
As part of our role health and safety is paramount to any activity we offer, also within the role dealing with so many different types of guests needs there are always going to be decisions made generally from myself. On this occasion I had a guest who had difficulties getting to their last session and were due to go home early that day, to meet the guests expectations I authorised an extra participant to the session. The ratio at the time was 13:1 – which I covered the safety element by formulating a Risk assessment and procedure.
The team are new this year at the sports drome and are obviously still in their training period where they are learning and with regularly in house training that will of course improve as the season goes on.
I understand the situation as I believe the guests felt they didn’t have as many goes as they like, the new age activity came to parks this year for 6+ where last year it was 8+, and is something we are monitoring,”
We really appreciate all our guests’ comments and will always endeavour listen to them and take on board when we can.
It would be so lovely to welcome you all back and remember to contact us (01424 427891) so we can apply your returning discount on to your booking and any special requests you have, so for now take care and hope to see you very soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

OK so we did not have the best first impression.

We were looking at booking a family holiday and were monitoring prices on the internet. Then, we realised that there was a sale on and thought we'd book within a couple of days BUT,next thing we knew, Haven were playing silly games. They decreased all their prices by about £30 increased them again by £100 the next day before we got the chance to book. When we phoned up and explained this to someone on the phone, we were told that this was due to demand and they could not give us the price we had seen on the internet the day before!!!

Still we thought we would give Haven another chance and booked a cheaper site.

The kids were really looking forward to their holiday and, when we arrived , there were balloons at the gates and lollipops for the kids, a small gesture which is was appreciated.

We had booked a Deluxe caravan and our pitch was in Normandy Court. The caravan was very modern and very clean. However, there were no mattress protectors on any of the beds which is not the most hygienic and quite unexpected for a Deluxe caravan.

The park was very cleaned. We made the mistake of leaving our rubbish by the door and the seagulls attacked the bag but the mess was all cleaned up before we even got the chance to do it ourselves. It would be useful to know where the rubbish can be recycled though as this wasn't immediately obvious to us.

As other guests have stated, the hill to climb to the main complex is steep so we sometimes walked up and other times drove and parked at the top of the hill. We did not experience problems with parking spaces and it was a busy time.

The shop prices may be a little expensive but this is too be expected. There is a fair bit of choice and merchandise for the kids too. The staff are pretty friendly and helpful. The fresh bread and pastries need to be cooked for longer though!

The food in the restaurant is below average. Melted cheese not properly melted on hot baguettes, mash potatotes at the carvery swimming in butter and hardly any healthy food other than salads. The wait is also very long, especially for such basic food and when the place isn't busy. Also, it would be good to have the option to order some food at the restaurant to eat in the lounge. Otherwise we can only eat burgers or pizza if we want to enjoy the entertainment in the lounge area.

NB: If you want to be sat near the stage, you will need to arrive no later than 5.50pm.

The entertainment was good but most of it was down to Mikey who was brilliant. The rest of the staff were OK but, in our experience, could have interacted with the kids a lot more than they did when the characters weren't on stage. They need to take a leaf out of Mikey's book in terms of energy! The kids bingo was a good idea but not the easiest to play a game where you need to concentrate and be quick when you have young children with you.

The biggest issue we had was the lack of prizes for the little ones. Those who were lucky enough to win a price - normally one or two per game - got rubbish prizes and all the other children who threw themselves into the games got nothing. Surely Haven could afford to buy small Easter eggs to give away to all children participating or some other small prize.

The only time our kids got anything was when WE purchased party boxes for Ned's party at a cost of £3.50 each. We weren't very impressed with the idea of our kids being shown all the party boxes and then being told that they could have one if their parents gave them money. Yes merchandise should be made available for those who wish to purchase some but getting the kids to come to a party to then ask them to pay money at the end or leave with nothing is just wrong!!!

Otherwise, activities were good. We tried Learn to ride a bike, Archery and Swimming.

Communication on-site was poor. Most activities do get booked at the pool but the staff there don't know what other activities run in parallel so you are left having to look through two different books plus another book for Easter only. That's three different books you need to look at before you can book anything. Why do Customer Services not hold all of the activities info in one place and book them all???

Also, the staff at the swimming pool weren't even sure if the children needed arm bands for a swimming lesson or not, surely that is basic info.

We asked Customer Services what was happening for Easter, expecting an Easter Egg Hunt or something similar, and they told us that it would be the usual activities and maybe there would be something else but we should ask the Fun Stars or look on the board outside the lounge the day before.

Well, when we stay somewhere with the children for a week, we need to plan our holiday and work out what we are doing more than a day in advance!

We also saw some sort of circus skills things going one day but knew nothing about this.

There were posters in some places, boards in others, bits of information all over the place or no information at all!!!

We were most disappointed by Haven's clear attempt to make as much money as possible. After all, treating customers well means repeat business and more money for them, doesn't it?!

3  Thank TheWTeam

Dear The WTeam
Thank you for your review from your recent stay with us.
I am really happy you did decide to give Haven a go and that you came to Combe Haven for your holiday and I am sorry you incurred issues with the prices, we at park have no control over this and at peak times the prices will be more on all our parks.
I have passed your comments onto our accommodation team and they were grateful to know from your review that you were happy with your deluxe holiday home, but with regards to mattress protectors this is something that haven do not provide as a standard inventory. Normandy Court is one of my favourite areas on park, though on our bottom part of the park it provides more spaced out caravans with parking right beside the caravan which for some guests is a essential request.
I have also passed all your comments onto our entertainment manager and she has also passed onto Mikey your remarks on how great he was during your stay, he was thrilled on knowing this, thank you.
The reason there was a different leisure book for activities was due to the demand that was on offer throughout – so we asked marketing to produce a guide with more activity sessions so all guests could have the chance to compete in an activity with their families. All the activities are booked at the pool to keep it simple for the guests as the leisure facilities are not located in just one place,
As part of the team’s training, communication is key, therefore each week at our meetings we speak about ‘’what went well and what could improve’’ so we get it right next time.

Our Leisure Manager sends his apologises and sincerely hopes that if you were to re book to Combe Haven you will see a difference in the way of communicating and the performance of the activity sessions. He also adds that if you do return he will produce a free activity pass for you and your family to use and enjoy for any wet or dry activity held.

Please contact me on 01424 427891 or e mail on combehaventripadvisor@haven.com if you would like to consider returning and if so you would be entitled to some extra discount.
I do hope this could be the case as we all love our park here and our aim is always to produce remarkable holidays taking on board all our guests’ comments.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed here over the Easter weekend with some extended family (12 of us in all in 2 caravans). Eventhough the caravans were suitable for our needs they hadn't been cleaned properly. The toilets in both caravans were dirty and hadn't been cleaned (they were discusting in fact). The fridges were also unclean inside and everthing looked rather grubby. We had a broken wine bottle under our caravan and a beer can that someone had kindly balanced on a small palm tree outside our caravan - both remained there for the 4 days that we were there. There were also several items of other peoples clothing (one being a dirty pair of knickers) / personal belongings that had been left in the caravans so i cant imagine the cleaners had spent any time in there at all. We had to purchase cleaning materials from the shop and clean them ourselves so we knew it had been done properly.
We also had a very bad experience in the restaurant. We sent back 5 meals in total that were cold, one of which was for a child (4 years old) who had partly frozen potatoes. Quite scary considering he probably would have eaten them had his mum not check them first! Upon conplaining the 'acting manager' stormed off like a child having a trantrum and smashed open the kitchen door. We asked to see the overall manager but somehow she never arrived. After the stressful meal we'd had and having not being able to eat as a family,two people left without their meals as by the time they arrived they were'nt hungry anymore. We'd been told they would be 5 minutes but arrived half an hour later. We were given no updates and all staff seemed to give us a wide birth as they knew how unhappy we were. Our poor 4 year old had his 3 new potatoes deliverd half an hour after his actual meal, looking as dry as a bone! The stroppy acting manager offered us 3 bottles of cheap plonk which we know for a fact costs less than two quid a bottle to source. We were also offered 2 free meals from the carvery for the next day but were hardly going to go back for another dose of cold and frozen food. We declined the offer, got the money back for the two meals we sent back and walked away as it was quite clear that the resaurant manager clearly had no intentions of seeing us and quite frankly had lost the will to wait. Our whole family evening had been ruined. The next day we did manage to talk to the manager as we went to reception.. Turns out she was was in the kitchen the night before and knew all about the food that we sent back - she explained that she was in fact cooking in the kitchen that night (but assured us that they weren't short staffed, even though when i asked her why she didnt come out the kitchen to deal with our complaint - rather than dealing with the stroppy one, she said she couldn't leave the kitchen as she was on the grill!.). It;s quite hard to believe that a manager would let cold food leave the kitchen. The general staff who work in the bar / restaurant are lovely - mostly youngsters and put the management to shame.
There were 4 teenage boys within our group. The first thing they wanted to do was to go and kick a ball around the sports court. When they entered the court they were confronted by 8 other boys of a similar age who demanded that they pay them to come into the court or fight them. Thankfuly our boys declined the kind offer and went and played in another area of the camp, well away from this group. We also witnessed the security staff at the door of the entertainment complex being intimidated by adults and older teenagers alike which was very worrying. Two out of the three nights we were there we had to listen to full blown aggressive arguements between other guests who'd rolled out of the entertainment very drunk in the early hours of the morning. No sign of the security team unfortunatly, who should be patrolling when the disco finishes.
We dont hold Haven responsible for the behaviour of their visitors as they obviously have not idea who will be arriving. However, we felt very uncomfortable by some of the visitors who were in the park and were unable to let our older children go off on their own which ruined the holiday for them which in turn made it very difficult for the adults to relax.

3  Thank don s

Dear Don S
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent Easter stay with us.
I am truly sorry to read that your caravan had the cleaning issues on your arrival, upon knowing any of these issues in your caravan we would have been straight to you to rectify the cleaning issues, however again I really am sorry that the caravan was not up to our Haven standard. If you would like to send me your haven reference number I would more than happy to you look into this more for you, you can contact me on combehaventripadvisor@haven.com or call on 01424 427891.
I have also contacted the manager who was on duty the day you went to the Mash and Barrel restaurant and I have spoken with the young waitress on duty and they have explained the situation to me. I can see how frustrated you must have felt with regards to the meals being cold and then having to wait for them to come back out and I do believe you were given a full refund for the 3 meals and offered the 3 free meals for the Calvary too. If you do want to speak with the complex manager over this please contact me on the above number.
With regards to your comment on the young lads that were being very unruly and ruining it for your teenager boys, we do find this unacceptable behaviour and upon knowing this was going on, we would have contacted our Resort Safety Team to intervene. I have also spoken with our Resort Safety Manager and he has explained to me that every evening especially over our peak nights they have more team on in the live lounge and there is always team there to see the last guests out, and once they have left they then patrol the park ensuring all is well.
I do appreciate you writing your review and I am sorry that your stay with us was not as we would have liked it to be, our aim here is always to endeavour a remarkable holiday and we would love to welcome you back at some point in the future to show you that we care very much for guests experiences, It would be my pleasure to fully oversee any interest or booking if this was to be the case.
Reception Team Leader

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Royal Victoria Hotel
#6 of 47 in Hastings
Tower House 1066
Tower House 1066
#36 of 47 in Hastings

Been to Combe Haven Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!