“A joy”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I am so pleased to see this lovely little building has come back to life in such a wonderful way. I popped in for a relaxed lunch of hotdog and coleslaw, with a vanilla milkshake. I tend to avoid hotdogs because goodness only knows what goes into most mass market hot dogs, but I had seen from Pelican's facebook & twitter pages before they opened just how much care they were taking to find and sell quality natural ingredients. It was definitely worth it, The hot dog was huge and delicious, with great bread and pickles, and the coleslaw looked home made and wonderfully fresh. Similarly the milk shake was wonderful and barely lasted a minute once I tasted it.

They'd ran out of chips when I was there, but they've only recently opened each day, so no doubt they will sort out the ingredient quantities soon. I'll be back to taste the chips this weekend I hope!

All in all, a lovely good quality food outlet, which is family run by people who obviously care about the ingredients they are using. I loved it and suspect I'l be a regular. I really hope it does well, despite its diminutive size. Yet another sign of how Hastings Old Town keeps on getting better & better.

3  Thank NMHastings

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Having experienced both the breakfast and lunch menus, i cannot recommend this venue highly enough! The food is amazing with great attention to detail and the atmosphere is friendly and welcoming. A must for any visitor or local dweller!

2  Thank Sam and Nigel H
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We have been twice and every weekend now we are twitching to go again. Fantastic American breakfasts served with a smile by friendly staff - nothing is too much bother. This is seriously the best place to go for breakfast in Hastings. We've had the Lumberjack breakfast both times as it is so yummy. Huge pancakes, crispy bacon, fluffy tasty scrambled eggs, fruit salad, toast, maple syrup and whipped butter on the side. 10/10. GO!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have only been here for breakfast as I love pancakes (American ones, not the silly crepe ones). This place really is the business. The pancakes are excellent - plain, blueberries and with or without bacon.

My only criticism is that, unlike the American and Canadian diners it emulates, the portion of maple syrup is somewhat rationed and the pancakes are inevitably a bit dry towards the end. Overall though, this is a great addition to Hastings' food scene and hopefully the owners will give locals the chance to support the business on weekdays. It would also be great to have pancakes available all day and during the week rather than just on Saturday & Sunday mornings.

(not been here after 12 yet so cannot comment on the burgers and dogs - one day soon....)

thepelicandiner, Owner at The Pelican Diner, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Hi tootrocker,

Thank you so much for your review. And your criticisms are very valid.

Our opening hours will expand as we are able to (hopefully soon!).

And yes we would very much love to be able to serve breakfast all day but can't at the moment as we have the smallest kitchen on the planet, and make everything from scratch. We can't see a way around this at the moment but will really try to sort this out!

And finally, please feel free to ask for an additional pot of maple syrup (which of course is not an extra charge) but unfortunately because 100% maple syrup is so expensive in this country we can't put an endless pot on the tables as we'd like to or we could end up with people using £8 of syrup on a £4 purchase of pancakes, which would be fine with us but we may not last that long as a business.

Hope this addresses your criticisms and hope to see you again soon!

x
Ben and Kirsty

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Closest I've had to a real American burger. Brilliant place, would strongly recommend. Great location and good value for money. Already planning my next visit for breakfast, can't wait to try the pancakes and bacon.