Lansdowne
$99
  • Breakfast included
Royal Victoria Hotel(St Leonards-on-Sea)
$146
$232
$195
Agoda.com
Grand Hotel(Hastings)
$102
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
Premier Inn Hastings Hotel(Hastings)(Great Value!)
$104
PremierInn.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
All reviewssea viewsea frontold townan underground car parka stones throwtop floortown centreshort breaktea coffeefull englishone night staybreakfast roomlovely roombalconyfridgeseafrontensuite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We arrived at The Lansdowne for a one night weekend stay with some trepidation, due to lots of poor reviews.
We had rooms 3 and 4, at the front of the hotel with balcony and sea views. The rooms were pleasant, clean with a very modern bathroom, but not a power shower. The balcony itself was in need of a clean, as were the two cheap chairs on the balcony, lots of seagull mess.
We were quite surprised when checking in, we were requested to pay the balance upfront.
Up to this point all was well, until we tried to get to sleep around 1am. Loud voices, swearing and an obvious argument began outside the entrance and on the steps to the hotel, just below our room. This continued throughout the early hours, subsiding occasionally and then rising again until 7am in the morning.
At 7am we went down to reception, where the staff in charge were making no attempt to stop the disturbance.
I cannot believe that this was allowed to continue all night, causing us the worst nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel!

Room Tip: Take ear plugs!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Great location on the seafront. I had a single room on the top floor which was clean and had a great view. The room my parents were in on the second floor was really lovely - very spacious and nicely decorated.

The service here is really excellent - when we arrived Michael on reception was friendly, and continued to be kind and attentive throughout our stay. I forgot my diary and he called as soon as he found it, posting it the same day free of charge.

The breakfast was good too with a good choice of buffet and cooked breakfast options. Altogether a great choice and good value for money.

Room Tip: The second floor room 7 is very nice and recently decorated.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jenny H
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We made a last minute booking and paid £70 for the last available room.
The hotel has a good location on the seafront a short walk to the old town.
We got no 18 which was top floor and the room was clean, modern and comfortable but with no view as facing out the back of the hotel.
We both had a good nights sleep even though there was music out the back.
We did not have breakfast included and would recommend Cafe Des Arts which is 2 mins round the corner and was superb.
Overall a reasonable hotel on a budget - nothing to complain about and nothing to wax lyrical about.

Room Tip: Book a Sea view as rooms at the back can be noisy
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BeckenhamBloke
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I booked a deluxe twin room at the Lansdowne Guest House, one night with breakfast, for me and my friend to spend some nice time in Hastings with our best buddy who lives there.
We arrived at the Lansdowne in the early evening and were greeted by a relaxed yet charming receptionist who attended to us with courtesy and friendliness ever after. The room turned out to be worth its category. It was newly-refurbished, with a spotlessly clean bathroom, comfortable beds and a magnificent view of the sea. We spent some nice time in the cosy bar situated next to the reception and after a few drinks went to the Old Town to complement our lovely stay. Delicious breakfast the next morning made our day and – regretting we cannot stay here longer – we checked out full of fond memories and wanting to come back again as soon as possible.
I am planning to visit the Lansdowne again, this time with my wife and son.
Everyone should stay there if they want to have unforgettable time in Hastings!

Room Tip: ask Michael
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Originally I booked a single sea view room for 2nights, £40 per night. I didn't pay for the optional breakfast at £7.50 as I thought this was a bit steep. I rang the same day as I booked online to upgrade the room to a double as my partner was able to join me for the weekend. I was told the only room left was a "compact double" with no sea view for £70 per night which seemed reasonable at short notice. Prior to my booking I had looked at their website and the Trip Advisor reviews and assumed the hotel to be a good choice.

On arrival the exterior looked tired and grubby, no flowers like the website. I was told by the receptionist I had to pay upfront the £100 balance (pls note I had already paid £40 deposit online with the booking) before we'd even seen/ been to our room. We were given a key and told where to go. He (the receptionist) told us nothing about the layout/ facilities of the hotel and seemed disinterested.

The lift was to say the least was tiny and looked to be on its last legs. Being 31 weeks pregnant I was reluctant to get in it but we didn't want to carry our bags up the stairs. The room we were given was absolutely awful, it had a large gap on the front door so people could see in, the ceiling comprised of dirty (some broken) polystyrene tiles of which you would find in an office. There were holes in the ceiling and surface trunking all over the walls to switches. The bathroom water had no pressure, was dirty and it took about 5minutes for the main light to come on. The view from the window was of a roof terrace tip, rubbish and junk, the windows were dirty too. I only wish I had taken pictures of this room but we were so utterly appalled we immediately went back to the receptionist to complain. It was hideous and looked to be unsafe.

Eventually we were told we could stay in another room, a "double room with a balcony and sea view" though only for one night as it was already booked out. This room at first glance was better (but as in my photos) there was no wardrobe just a rail, droplets missing off of the wall light, no telephone as the telephone socket had been damaged (dangerous) one cup, one set of towels, the curtains were two sewn together to make one long curtain, the balcony was small and grotty with a rusty blue chair (covered in bird poo) there was no key for the balcony door (left unlocked) the bathroom lights were not fixed properly, the fan was noisy and dirty, the tiling behind the bathroom door incomplete, something (?) sprayed up the bathroom wall, the shower was dirty, we had trouble getting the plug out of the sink and by the bed what looked to be a damp patch in the making. You could only get into the bed from one side too. This room was not a double and the balcony was tiny.

Being late and exhausted we stayed in this room, luckily the sheets and towels looked clean.
In the morning after much "debate" we managed to get £70 back and after speaking with the Information Centre found a lovely B&B to stay at which was cheaper, cleaner, friendlier and just a million miles better.

We were told by the Lansdowne that they are in fact a guest house although most of their literature and sign states hotel. And the rooms look nothing like their website. Don't be fooled.

We found the staff to be uninterested, the hotel to be in need of some serious investment. I'd love to know what the Hotel Inspector would make of this one?? Especially as the carpet on the stairs wasn't even fixed and was in fact a trip hazard with grips and underlay exposed.

One of the, if not the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. Save you money and stay at a local B&B, better service, safer and better value.

• Stayed: June 2013