“Great Breakfast.Very small room. Sea front location.Overall ok.”
Review of Lansdowne

Lansdowne
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night recently. I wouldn't say it was quite worth the price though,as supposed to be a 4 star B&B. -More like a 3 star really. They described it as a good deal. £62.00 for a small double. (Room only.) The room we expected to be compact, but not quite that compact! The double bed (not being a king and rather soft and very uncomfortable ) pushed right up against the wall which meant my husband had to climb over me to get to the bathroom.
The photos are not that accurate on the website either. The Room was clean,as was all bedding, carpeted, with an average spotless suite.-Towels sheets fine, everything you needed as far as tea coffee making facilities, etc but the ledge the kettle stood on was so narrow in danger of falling and therefore nowhere to put your belongings as such. Appreciated the laptop fitting but as we were supposed to be a romanytic coupke on wedding anniversary not used. Having a chair in the room was handy, cos you would have been too uncomfortable to get much support for your back if you laid on the bed to watch tv! Some toiletries. (very basic) was nice and had a hairdryer thank goodness. Pretty chandelier above the bed which was a nice touch.
However the whole place needs a bit of a good spruce and polish up really. Just a lick of fresh paint,flowers,paintings, fresh wall paper in the breakfast room as it was starting to peel. Just some nicer pictures/beach scenes...few cushions... a few vases of flowers here and there would enhance the place enormously.
Reception is pokey, yellowing drab, run down looking and hasn't seen the light of day or a fresh coat of paint in decades. That's really off putting to potential business guests that need you to make a good first impression. -Also staff on our arrival (lone Indian man on his own) was less than friendly really. Not very professional. Never smiled or greeted beyond duty...staring at the screen..No eye contact,not at all concerned we needed to know how and where to park very pre occupied with work focused activity rather than customer focused. Spoke curtly in a monotone voice didn't ask if we'd had a good journey or offer verbal welcome nor did he ask if we enjoyed our stay or welcomed us much verbally or anything. To be fair it was dark by the time we arrived and we were quite late as Hastings is a good 2 hours in traffic and we couldn't leave home until 6. But this shouldn't have mattered as it wasn't even 9pm.

The owners recently changed hands ,and they are apparently in their second year of refurbishment. (Which shows,unfortunately!) But whilst the areas were all clean that we could see, much needs to be done to get it up to 4 star scratch, yet. Never take seriously self graded stars by the way.

Even from being set back from the main road a little, we could still dimly hear traffic up and down throughout the night, and I am hard of hearing! We were given a room at the front, but squashed to the side- so any potential sea view was Nil.
The curtain was hanging on grimly.- hardly wide enough to block the light out as soon as you moved it. The flat screen tv worked fine and is positioned in a conveneint place, but that is about the only nice thing I can say about the room, unfortunately,as the room is very,very basic. Disapointing really.
The Ensuite fine. Pillows on bed very flat and lumpy. Mattress sagged A bit of a mixed bag. And I had so hoped when I rang them beforehand to ask (as it was for a romantic night away and for a wedding anniversary for the best refurbished/larger sized bed for the price if possible, due to back problems) but we were to be disapointed.
Overall the room too small to house a wardrobe in let alone a bed. so they give you one of these basic transportable wardroby things, but adequate for just 1 night, I suppose..Had we been staying longer I'd have requested a larger rooom. We paid breakfast as extra, aswell. Though this is well worth it. and very nice it is too. Huge. Full English and with all the cereals and hot milk you want they even had honey for my porridge, many other establishments don't, plus as much tea coffee toast and good quality yoghurts, other cereals as you wanted etc.etc. Just one gripe here- 2 of the large bowl of apples were brown and rotten in places! And- The sasuage was reallly poor quality though - so I left it. Eggs average.
For portion and refills worth its £7.95 price tag. We could go up as many times as we wanted for friuts cereals fresh orange juices etc. They cook your full english to order and the staff are nice in the mornings. European very friendly and charming.It has a charming website which doesn't really live up to its looks on there, though!
Not that many blooms and too far from the sea to watch the tide or anything....Location is great -central Hastings and quite close to the seafront and all amenities. No parking of course. Yet there is a large pavement seperating you from across the road and sea wall and the road so you cannot actually get a sea view even though we requested one! The area is mainly filled with other B&B's some residential and is a swine for parking when full.
We managed to find a low priced free parking bay for I think £2.00 for the whole night- right near the seafront. great for the car but Sadly the car had a wonderful sea view! much better than ours!

The hotel overall was pleasant enough I suppose, though the scaffolding next door is a bit off putting and took away the potential romance (if any!) of the place. I am sure it coulpd look and feel so much nicer with a bit more money spent on it.

I probably wouldn't stay again if looking for comfort space and/or romance. Forget it! A business base or a budget back packer? then yes. Mainly based on the luke warm reception we initially recieved and the very delapidated reception area,I almost left ..
To end on a high and on a good note, Staff at breakfast are kind attentive and lovely and really do their best to accomodate requests.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Lansdowne

Reviewed September 15, 2012

If you're considering a stay at the Lansdowne Hotel, Hastings, don't.

I recently had a 3 night break in a 'deluxe' room (goodness knows what a standard was like); it was adequate; the ensuite bathroom had a trickle of a shower. This 28 bedroomed b&b is internally shabby - the small service lift carried 2 people maximum, not a transport of delight. It was very basic, not a good deal at £90 per double room a night, but the breakfast is acceptable. I supose the price was based on its sea-front position. There is no free parking - an underground corporation car park at £6 a day is the cheapest option. I found the whole experience disappointing. Marks out of 10 = 4.

Hastings itself, apart from the Old Town, is run-down and derelict in many areas and in need of a serious refurb; adjoining St. Leonards appears to be much more up-market, tidy and cared-for, unlike hapless Hastings. Having stayed in the relatively nearby resorts of Eastbourne and Worthing, I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend time in Hastings - why? The one redeeming feature is the White Rock Theatre along the front - the staff are really enthusiastic and seem to care about their environment and heritage,

The question is - would I go back and stay again? The answer is definitely a resounding no - not even if you paid me. The wonderful historic town of Rye and all its delights further along the coast to the East, however, is another story enitrely .................

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank EileenRoyalWindsor
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My friend and I just got back from 2 nights staying here. From arrival to leaving all of the staff were friendly and helpful. The girl waiting at breakfast was really lovely.
Our room-29- was airy and plenty big enough. The weather was really hot this weekend so we adjusted the window to open wider and slept with it open. The views over Hastings beaches is fantastic. The shower room was nice and new. The only problem with it was it could've been cleaner-management need to make sure they're keeping an eye on standards. But not bad really.
It's obvious the whole place is being refurbished so the scruffy landings aren't a problem at all. The location, staff and breakfast all made this a great place to stay and I'd definitely go back.

Room Tip: If possible definitely get a sea view!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

we stayed for 2 nights here and loved it. the room was lovely and clean view outside was brilliant overlooking the sea, breakfast really good .all the staff were pleasant and wre around if we needed them we will certainly stay there again we could not fault it.

Room Tip: ask for a sea front room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Very friendly owners/staff, very welcoming. Didn't get a seaview as they were fully booked but nevertheless had a nice room, although it would help if there was a black out curtain on the door (#9) as the light from landing kept me awake and the room was really hot in the night even with the window open, so some aircon would have been a bonus. The room was clean and fresh, very spacious bathroom with a good shower. Very good breakfast with plenty of choice but smaller tables would be better than having to share with people you don't know. £10 for late checkout was also great. Would go back.

Room Tip: Room 9 - was noisy with window open as quite near to the pub/bar area
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I've had a warm welcome and then was shown to my room which was clean and fresh. All were very friendly and helpful... Its location, proximity to the rail station (literally 5 mins. away), the old town and the sea front makes this place just perfect. I've had the most pleasant stay at the Lansdowne and would highly recommend it.

Thank you.

Room Tip: The small room with balcony has stunning views and I found it was a good base to explore the region...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We throughly enjoyed our stay at The Lansdowne and found all the staff to be welcoming and friendly. We also enjoyed the succinct directions on leaving for a bit of exploration (left for the old bit, right for the new bit and inland for the noisy bit). Our room (11) was nicely decorated and spotlessly clean with fantastic sea views, it's not often you can see the sea whilst lying in bed. Parts of the hotel did look a little run down but renovations were obviously underway and we were not inconvenienced by them. Breakfast was also enjoyable with a good selection available, the menu stated that special diets could be catered for given notice. All in all a good experience and I would recommend the The Lansdowne to anyone looking for a good value for money hotel.

Room Tip: Number 11 is by far the best room for a sea view and it has the largest balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Royal Victoria Hotel
Zanzibar International Hotel Hastings
George Hotel
George Hotel
#5 of 5 in Battle

Been to Lansdowne? Share your experiences!