“A night to remember...”
Review of The Old Rectory

The Old Rectory
Ranked #1 of 47 Hastings B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I cannot praise the The Old Rectory enough. I went with a group of friends and had an amazing stay there. The room was perfect. The service was perfect and the breakfast the following morning was A star.
I will be definately be going back again soon. It was a stones throw away from the Old Town with it's individual little shops and fab restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We spent one night in this stylish B&B and had a very nice time. We loved the boutique feel of the room and hotel, and even more that there were complimentary freshly ground coffee and utterly delicious home made shortbread biscuits waiting for us in our room on arrival. The gourmet breakfast looked fantastic, however, unfortunately we were both far too hungover to enjoy much of it. The only small complaint would be that the bathroom door wouldn't close properly, which was slightly embarrassing. Parking is very limited, although there is free parking available a brisk 5 minute walk away. Next time we visit Hastings, we'll definitely stay again, and hopefully we won't get so drunk again that we can't enjoy breakfast!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We had a terrific stay! The ever-helpful, patient and charming Luke was a complete star, coping with my very late arrival with enormous grace.

The Old Rectory is large and filled with light, and I loved the decor. The bedroom was set up with twin beds (Luke had checked what I'd wanted when I made the reservation) as we'd requested. Comfortable, very quiet, everything worked. Lovely selection of teas and real coffee.

Great two-course breakfast with al lot of choices and possibly the very best home-made biscuits in the universe....looking forward to another stay, hopefully with enough time to enjoy the wonderful sitting room fireplace...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2013

My partner and I stayed at The Old Rectory when we went to Hastings to visit my daughter, who is at university there. Our room was lovely and clean, tidy and comfortable, with a spacious bathroom, walk-in shower and exquisite bed, and there were some nice little touches like shortbread biscuits and chocolate limes to nibble on. The manager was very helpful and friendly and the breakfast was superb, just the right amount and all cooked freshly to order with predominantly local produce. The home-made baked beans were a particular treat. Parking can be an issue, but if there's no space in the driveway the staff will give you a permit for the car park over the road. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at The Old Rectory again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TroupyTRFC
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Situated just a short walk to the old town. It was a birthday surprise so there were 15 ladies and we had the whole of the House to ourselves. The hospitality was amazing. The breakfast was also amazing and so much of it. They catered for everybody. We had a special 4 course meal one evening and the chef excelled himself. The rooms were clean and spotless. It was such a lovely relaxing stay. I would recommend it to anyone. I felt as though I have been on holiday though it was only for 2 nights. Not long enough..

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pauline J
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Hastings itself is a slightly questionable, classic British coastal town... a bit tacky but with lots to do so you're never really bored. What usually makes or breaks a stay in such a location is the hotel or guesthouse you lodge in, and I'm delighted to say that this place is one of the nicest guesthouses I've ever stayed in.

The staff are about as friendly and helpful as they possibly could be; the chap who greeted my girlfriend and I was called Daniel, and he bent over backwards to make our stay enjoyable for the whole weekend. We accidentally booked over something called "Hastings Pirate weekend" (look it up), and his enthusiasm for the event was infectious. Our room was beautifully decorated, of an impressive size for the price we paid (especially on a weekend where thousands flock in to dress idiotically and drink to excess), and we had a great view of the well maintained and tasteful garden.

We had breakfast both mornings that we were there, and I'm glad to say it was a pretty standard menu executed well above average. The only slight issue was the waiting time, but given that this really does feel like you're staying in a house as opposed to a hotel we were happy to put up with it. Other amenities include an "honesty bar", which enables you to make yourself drinks in the lounge and just write down what you've taken in the book next to it. It works really well, and they have a good selection of spirits if the mood takes you. The garden I mentioned previously is also fantastic, and I'd recommend spending a bit of time out there if that's your thing.

If I were to head back to Hastings for any reason, I wouldn't bother trying anywhere else. If I could get a room here I'd sign up straight away and prepare myself for another delightful sojourn at the Rectory. 5/5.

Room Tip: Ask for the one overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NilesFromFrasier
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We recently had our wedding here and were so pleased with the whole experience, it really felt like it was our house for the weekend. All the rooms are stunningly decorated and all very individual. The 2 course breakfast was amazing, lot's of choice and all of it delicious. It is worth highlighting how super the entire staff team are, really friendly, helpful and attentive. A big thank you to Tracey-Anne who with her professionalism and superb organisational skills made organising the day a pleasure.
The guests who stayed for the weekend all had positive feedback and really enjoyed their stay. Even guests who came for the day were full of praise for The Old Rectory.
We very much look forward to coming back for anniversaries.
Mr and Mrs Meyer-Finning