“A beautiful place to stay”
Review of The Cloudesley

The Cloudesley
Ranked #5 of 47 Hastings B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The Cloudesley is a very special place to stay. Immaculate, beautifully furnished, calm and very welcoming. The Owner is a very friendly welcoming host and he prepared the most delicious breakfast which set me up for the day, I will be recommending The Cloudesley to everyone I meet! A tv free haven of a place...somewhere to gather oneself and enjoy some peace and quiet. The large selection of interesting books to look at made me feel totally at home and I'd have happily stayed in all day reading, soaking up the atmosphere of the whole place, what a gem!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Last week we stayed for 2 nights in the Cloudesley. We were welcomed by Shahriar who is a truly beautiful person. He spent some time showing us his garden which he is developing. He is so knowledgeable.
Shahriar gave us a choice of 2 bedrooms both were furnished very tastefully. Our bedroom was very comfortable and spacious and was decorated with many photographs taken by Shahriar.
The bathroom was small but very clean and adequate with nice decor.
No televisions in the house, what a refreshing change. There were plenty of books on numerous subjects and there was also a cd player in our bedroom.
The sitting rooms were beautifully furnished and one had an honesty bar.
Our breakfasts could not be faulted for choice and quality.
I had a Reiki session during my stay which I found to be a wonderfully relaxing experience.
I recommend the Cloudesley highly. It is unique and we hope to stay agin in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Perched above St Leonards-on-Sea in a handsome residential street, this B&B was an unexpectedly opulent stopover on a last-minute weekend in Rye, Hastings and Dungeness. Grandly appointed for a B&B, with lovely shower room, honesty bar and deliciously original omelettes for breakfast (recommended). As a bonus, I managed to get a fabulous massage from a charming Japanese masseuse. Recommended.

3  Thank etelstar
Reviewed September 19, 2013

First the very minor gripes:

This place is not easy to find however it is worth finding and there is ample parking in the street outside the B&B. The layout of the room we stayed in was not to my taste although the decoration is very pleasant and done to a high standard.

Now the positives:

This is a very nice B&B and Shahrir is a fabulous host, nothing is too much trouble and he has paid a lot of attention to the details. There are no televisions and it was great to lay on the bed listening to the radio in the evenings - a word of caution there are a lot of books at The Cloudsley, however the majority of those I saw were somewhat dated and may not be to everybody's taste. The bed was extremely comfortable and the breakfasts superb - I can recommend the omelettes. This is a very nice B&B however it is not quite 5 star in my opinion as I have stayed in others that have ticked all the boxes with no gripes. That said I would quite happily stay at the Cloudesley again and would quite happily recommend it to my friends.

2  Thank lswr53
Shahriar M, Owner at The Cloudesley, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

You mention some of the books are old ... the books in the rooms are my personal collection over a lifetime! Yes, some will be 'out of date'! I have very collectable design books from the 1950's or even the 70's. I love these books! My interests are gardening, architecture, landscape design, art & design, interiors, diet and nutrition, holistic health & well being, history and politics, alternative media, nature, lepidoptery, scuba, photography, classic cars, cooking, spirituality ... to name a few. I relise these will not appeal to all but the books vary from room to room.

Furthermore, yes, the property is quirky. It was and still is a house in a residential area I turned into a B&B, consequently the shower rooms are not huge, nor is the bathroom in the master bedroom. But thank you for your review. I do read them and do my best to make changes when and where feasible.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We booked this hotel at the last minute, what a stroke of luck. Shahriar was the most welcoming host we have ever encountered, nothing was too much trouble. We had the smallest room in the house which was perfectly adequate for our one night stay, the décor was delightful and most importantly the bed was extremely comfortable. We cannot wait to return to sample one of the other rooms. The breakfast was a treat, lots of choice with all the finest ingredients and the service friendly. The smoothie Shahriar made to begin with was delicious. Thoroughly deserved top marks for every part of the review. Thank you Shahriar.

1  Thank Tina H
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We recently stayed in the B & B for 2 nights and were welcomed by the gentle and beautiful person in Shahriar. Nothing is too much trouble and the room is spacious and beautifully appointed with all that you could need. A 15 minute walk to the seafront or a couple of minutes in a car. The home is decorated with Shahriar's own photography and artwork which is exquisite. Breakfast is served and we were fortunate to try the B & B omelettes both savoury and sweet which were just delicious.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kplceurope
Reviewed August 28, 2013

On arriving at The Cloudesley we were greeted by the owner, Shahriar, who immediately made us feel very welcome. Our room was at the top of the house and it was stunning!!! The bed was huge and the most comfortable we've ever slept in.
The choice for breakfast was vast but we chose a full english, made by Emily... under the watchful eye of Shahriar. It was her first time at making breakfast at The Cloudesley and she did a fantastic job!!
Perfect host, perfect room, perfect place. We will definitely stay again!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple