“Very nice B&B”
Review of The Cloudesley

The Cloudesley
Ranked #5 of 47 Hastings B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 19, 2013

First the very minor gripes:

This place is not easy to find however it is worth finding and there is ample parking in the street outside the B&B. The layout of the room we stayed in was not to my taste although the decoration is very pleasant and done to a high standard.

Now the positives:

This is a very nice B&B and Shahrir is a fabulous host, nothing is too much trouble and he has paid a lot of attention to the details. There are no televisions and it was great to lay on the bed listening to the radio in the evenings - a word of caution there are a lot of books at The Cloudsley, however the majority of those I saw were somewhat dated and may not be to everybody's taste. The bed was extremely comfortable and the breakfasts superb - I can recommend the omelettes. This is a very nice B&B however it is not quite 5 star in my opinion as I have stayed in others that have ticked all the boxes with no gripes. That said I would quite happily stay at the Cloudesley again and would quite happily recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lswr53
Shahriar M, Owner at The Cloudesley, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

You mention some of the books are old ... the books in the rooms are my personal collection over a lifetime! Yes, some will be 'out of date'! I have very collectable design books from the 1950's or even the 70's. I love these books! My interests are gardening, architecture, landscape design, art & design, interiors, diet and nutrition, holistic health & well being, history and politics, alternative media, nature, lepidoptery, scuba, photography, classic cars, cooking, spirituality ... to name a few. I relise these will not appeal to all but the books vary from room to room.

Furthermore, yes, the property is quirky. It was and still is a house in a residential area I turned into a B&B, consequently the shower rooms are not huge, nor is the bathroom in the master bedroom. But thank you for your review. I do read them and do my best to make changes when and where feasible.

There are newer reviews for The Cloudesley

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We booked this hotel at the last minute, what a stroke of luck. Shahriar was the most welcoming host we have ever encountered, nothing was too much trouble. We had the smallest room in the house which was perfectly adequate for our one night stay, the décor was delightful and most importantly the bed was extremely comfortable. We cannot wait to return to sample one of the other rooms. The breakfast was a treat, lots of choice with all the finest ingredients and the service friendly. The smoothie Shahriar made to begin with was delicious. Thoroughly deserved top marks for every part of the review. Thank you Shahriar.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tina H
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We recently stayed in the B & B for 2 nights and were welcomed by the gentle and beautiful person in Shahriar. Nothing is too much trouble and the room is spacious and beautifully appointed with all that you could need. A 15 minute walk to the seafront or a couple of minutes in a car. The home is decorated with Shahriar's own photography and artwork which is exquisite. Breakfast is served and we were fortunate to try the B & B omelettes both savoury and sweet which were just delicious.

1  Thank kplceurope
Reviewed August 28, 2013

On arriving at The Cloudesley we were greeted by the owner, Shahriar, who immediately made us feel very welcome. Our room was at the top of the house and it was stunning!!! The bed was huge and the most comfortable we've ever slept in.
The choice for breakfast was vast but we chose a full english, made by Emily... under the watchful eye of Shahriar. It was her first time at making breakfast at The Cloudesley and she did a fantastic job!!
Perfect host, perfect room, perfect place. We will definitely stay again!!

1  Thank Debbie G
Reviewed August 25, 2013

If you want to feel balanced, restored and cared for then a visit to this beautiful house run by an exceptional owner will fulfil your wish. Everything is of the most exquisite quality and beautifully presented. The sitting rooms are gorgeous and are adorned with wonderful treasures including the owners lovely photographs. There are many intriguing conversations to be had with the owner about his collections if you wish. The room I had was calming and peaceful and had a wonderful selection of art and photography books. The decor was soft and relaxing, I wish it were my home bedroom! The breakfast was, in my opinion, better than any prestigious London hotel, there were exotic fruit platters, and a selection of really delicious cooked options as well as lovely whole food cereals, whole meal bread and preserves. I am already trying to find a time to go back. Whenever I need to feel nurtured I will head for The Cloudesly. The owner is the most lovely person who makes you feel very special. I didn't try one of the spa treatments but intend to on my next visit. I feel thrilled to have found somewhere so exceptional.

Room Tip: All the rooms are perfect.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jannena
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I say amazing because this hotel has amazed me that I could stay somewhere so perfect in England by the sea. The rooms are so beautifully furnished and decorated you can sit and relax in 2 rooms downstairs where you can read, listen to music or just chat. I am a tv girl so I am amazed that I have not missed it like I thought I would. The comfort and softness of the bed is on par with a 5 star hotel that we stayed in in Dubai and it was so peaceful that we had a lovely relaxing sleep. We were offered so many different choices for breakfast it was very difficult to choose but what we had was so tasty again on par with Dubai. I read many reviews for this hotel and I can totally agree with everything positive that everyone has said, we live in Whitstable kent and wish that there was a hotel like this so our friends and family could enjoy themselves as much as we have here when they stay. The owner is so lovely and hope that he continues with this hotel forever so that lots more people can experience this place will definitely visit winter would be amazing with all the log burners.

Room Tip: From what we saw every room were amazing
Reviewed August 19, 2013

What a beautiful hotel - we were visiting family and came across The Cloudesley by chance, what luck! Shahriar the owner was so kind and when he knew we couldn't fit in breakfast he provided us with organic cereals, juice and even delicious biscuits for our journey back. There are lovely magazines and a stunning collection of books - I didn't want to leave the hotel! The decor is inspiring and the bed was heaven!
We will definitely go back there and most definitely be eating breakfast!