“Nice hotel - shame about the Spa”

Bannatyne Spa Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Have just come back from staying here. Very nice hotel,we stayed in a Grand Deluxe bedroom which was very nicely decorated and up to date, clean and spacious with comfy beds. The dinner was extremely nice and the breakfast even better. The grounds of the hotel are lovely and Im sure during the summer they must look amazing. Unfortunately due to staying in March with spring nowhere near appearing and snowing for most of the day, the grounds had no flowers or colour but would love to visit in the Summer to see what is is like then.

They looked great for kids though (although my daughter is 16 so wouldnt have benefited!), seems like there is a lovely treehouse and even a giant chess set in the grounds behind the hotel.

We popped over to the Spa (walk across the car park) on Friday evening and I'm afraid I do have to agree with other reviewers about it, it's a shame it isnt connected. I tend to think of real "Spa" hotel's where you can wander around in your bathrobe from our room and down to the spa area without having to go outside. The customer service at the Spa really let the hotel down. When we arrived I had to stand around waiting whilst all the staff were gossiping until they finally let me through and vaguely pointed me in the right direction of the pool area/changing rooms. They were not interested at all in helping anyone. This is in contrast to the superb staff at the actual hotel who were very accommodating, polite and attentive.

The facilities themselves weren't too bad, the pool was a little cold for my liking, but it had a nice large Jacuzzi with a steam room and sauna inside, and although I didn't go out there were a couple of hot tubs outside. Have been to other SPA's with nicer pools though and just nicer layout and design. It wasn't pretty but did what it said on the tin so to speak.

The locations is ok, but it's still a good ten/fifteen minutes drive in the main part of Hastings (with traffic) for the beach and tourist attractions.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Candika

Many thanks for your fantastic hotel review following your stay in March. I am delighted that you found your room to be clean and spacious and both your breakfast dinner to be extremely nice.

I have noted your comment regarding your experience at our health club and I have ensured my colleague is aware of this feedback. Please accept our apologies for the shortfalls in service received and I can assure you this will be addressed immediately.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future when I am confident you would be impressed with all aspects of our service.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here for one night for our Wedding Anniversary, and after my husband had completed the Hastings Half Marathon. We received a totally unexpected complimentary upgrade on our room, which was absolutely beautiful. The Health Club next door to the Hotel, was great, all the facilities were included in our stay, and my husband welcomed the use of the outdoor hot tub, steam room and sauna, along with the pool after his run, and I just very much enjoyed the relaxation ! The package we purchased included dinner, which was top restaurant quality, as was the breakfast the next morning. Definately recommended for a relaxing romantic break, we've already booked to return for my husbands birthday.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank debbie p

Dear debbiep

Many thanks for your amazing review following your recent stay and please pass on my congratulations to your husband for successfully completing the Hastings half marathon.

I look forward to welcoming you back for your husband’s birthday when I am sure you will have an equally enjoyable stay.

Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Booked here for our wedding anniversary. The spa centre was brilliant and we made full use of all facilities. Our evening meal was outstanding. Staff are attentive and went beyond my expectations. Would highly recommend a stay here and i will be coming back.......

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear tonyFd

I am delighted that your wedding anniversary trip was excellent and that you made use of the hotel and health clubs extensive facilities.

Many thanks for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here midweek 19 - 21 March for my friends 50th birthday. We had a brilliant package with Breakfast both mornings, a 3 course main meal on first night and afternoon tea one afternoon with an hours treatment in the spa. We stayed in a executive room which was lovely and overlooked the grounds. Comfy beds and free WIFI. The only issue we had was that the room could have done with extra lighting as there were only two small lights, could do with a couple of lights by the mirror / wardrobe. The evening meal was very nice as was the breakfasts in the morning with a choice of freshly cooked eggs and fish etc. Our afternoon tea was great with sandwiches, cakes and scones with clotted cream and jam. We had a wonderful facial each at the spa where the staff were very friendly and knowledgable. The Spa was seperate from the hotel. We loved the outdoor hot tubs! We were issued with fresh towels, a robe and slippers were in the wardrobe. All in all a thououghly relaxing few days in a lovely hotel with great staff. Will definately be going back.

Room Tip: The executive rooms were bigger.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear stumps

Many thanks for your fantastic review following your recent stay in Hastings. I have noted your comment regarding the lighting in room 19 and will now attempt to source some additional lighting.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Having visited other hotels in the area for our reception, Bannatynes' Montgomery suite just stood out from the rest. Clean, beautifully decorated, modern and spacious. Set in a fantastic setting within the beautiful and extensive landscaped gardens. It is a short 60 second walk from the main hotel so there are no issues with noise disturbing other guests. This was just the venue we were looking for and we met an events co-ordinator who knew her job, was well organised and installed confidence, Monica.
Monica was our first point of contact. Girls, she is just what you need, very experienced, organised and works very hard to meet your wishes. Nothing was a problem.
I probably suffer from a little too much OCD, but, I wanted everything to be perfect for my family and friends.
We decided to stay the Friday and the Saturday night, for 2 reasons: firstly so I could ensure everything was set up to our expectations and secondly, to have our room all day to get ready in as we were all leaving from the hotel. (Normal check in for rooms is 3pm.)
We had a couple of minor hiccups with our rooms (the worst one for me was that some thoughtful guest had stolen the GHD straighteners, which were wired into the wall and I hadn't taken mine with me.) Emilia (who was duty manager on the Friday evening) had new straighteners purchased and in my room within 90 mins. I couldn’t ask for more!
I had chosen to splash out and have one of their superior Double rooms. (room 20 - large room with views over the beautiful rear gardens). Monica was kind enough to show us round the various styles of rooms so we could choose which rooms would suit our needs, and that of our guests.
Although the Montgomery Suite is still fairly new, the gold framed chairs are showing wear, tear and are of 2 different shades of gold. Not a problem... chairs covers. I used a lady called Karen Austin whose work I had seen at a nearby hotel. Girls, Karen is bespoke and very creative. The way she did our chair covers, bows, additional table swags, delicate drapes on the ceiling only enhanced to fantastic decor of the Montgomery Suite. We were absolutely delighted with the way the room had been set up by Hotel Staff, Karen and her team, and Kevin Frost DJ - Sound Factory disco. He regularly does the discos at Bannatynes and he also knows the lighting set up in the suite (you can choose coloured lighting to colour coordinate with your theme - how fantastic). Kevin Frost really knows how to engage with your guests, especially the younger guests - a must when you have 25 children of all ages at the reception. The twinkly light up dance floor finishes of the room as a perfect venue. (It is really is quite child friendly - a relief as you want to let your hair down on your special day)
Mark O’Reilly, the General Manager of the hotel, was at our side through out the function, and ensured the smooth running of the day, nothing was a problem. Mark is a manager that gets stuck in with the work; there is nothing he won’t do, including clearing of dirty plates!
Marco who I believe was the lead waiter for the evening introduced himself the previous night whilst serving us in the conservatory restaurant. What a really great guy.
The waiting staff were all ready for us and were cheerful and greeted out guests as were arrived.
The food was excellent and chef catered for my guests with food allergies. I've not heard any bad complaints about my reception party so far - face book comments from our friends and family who attended have only commented on what a fantastic day/evening they had.
On our final meeting with Monica a week before the reception, Monica offered us the use of the Garden Room for breakfast the following morning for our guests that stayed. It was lovely to see our friends and family enjoying themselves in the morning.
Breakfast was great (highly recommend the smoked salmon and chive scrambled egg!!) I would really expect to see a hotel like this cook breakfast to order rather than the help yourself buffet style. The choice for breakfast was good though, cereals, fruits, pastries, cheeses, and a good choice of hot food. (The advantage of the buffet style breakfast is that it does seem to please those with the hangover as they can get the food quickly!)
The only real disappointment was the spa/fitness gym only allow children to use the swimming pool 2pm - 7pm. I feel a morning session at weekends would be much more suitable for families using the facilities. That said all the staff at the Spa and Gym were excellent and we were looked after by the manager Lisa Morland.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Rachel L

It was with great pleasure that I read your fantastic review following your wedding celebrations on March 9th and we are flattered by the title "The perfect wedding venue".

Monica, myself and the entire team are grateful for your kind words and would like to wish you both our best wishes for the future.

I have noted your comment regarding the two shades of chairs in the Montgomerie Suite and with this in mind, we have decided to purchase a number of chair covers which will be available for events in both the Montgomerie Suite and main hotel function rooms.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Mark O'Reilly

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We decided on bannatynes to celebrate my birthday on 28th feb 2013 as it had good reviews and is only 30 mins away from home. Upon arrival we were greeted by Rose who gave us probably the best welcome we have ever received at any hotel. As we were early she showed us to the bar and went to check our room was ready. We were very impressed with the room, it was very clean and spacious. We particularly liked all the period features still in place around the hotel whilst having a very modern bright feel. We ate in the conservatory restaurant and the food was perfect. the waiter who brought us our champagne asked If we were celebrating and brought back the cork with a silver in the middle for luck...a very lovely and thoughtful touch.
We used the spa and gym facilities both days and our only negative was the staff in the Spa seemed very young,inexperienced and not particularly knowledgable. However the hotel staff more than made up for it and made our night away really special. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Thank you to all the amazing staff.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Gavin A

Many thanks for your fantastic review and comments regarding the amazing staff. We are regularly commended on the high levels of customer service here and I am delighted that both Rose and the waiter who presented you with the Champagne cork did not disappoint.

I have passed your comments regarding the spa team to my colleague at the health club and she would like to assure you that training of the spa team is very much her priority.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We enjoyed our weekend stay. Hotel rooms are very comfortable and tastefully furnished. Free wi-fi thought the hotel . Enjoyed the dinner in the Conservatory Restaurant. Food is superb
Spa treatments are to dream for

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear zory_1977

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your recent stay including the room, superb food and treatments.

I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back on a future visit.

Mark O’Reilly

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
3 mi away
Claverton Country House Hotel
Travelodge Hastings
Travelodge Hastings
#6 of 11 in Hastings

Been to Bannatyne Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!