“Excellent spa weekend away!”

Bannatyne Spa Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Excellent spa weekend away!”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My partner and I have just got back from a weekend visit here and we absolutely loved it! The hotel has a beautiful setting and feels very private. Our room exceeded our expectations! Very clean, modern finish and large. I loved that there was a bath in the bedroom. We had a 3 course dinner in the conservatory restaurant. The food was brilliant and the service was efficient and friendly. The next day we decided to pay £3 extra to get a full English breakfast in bed. Our treatments in the spa were both very relaxing and the spa itself is lovely. The gym facilities are great and we particularly liked the outside hot tubs. We shall definitely be visiting again.

1 Thank Louise S
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Spa Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Louise S

Many thanks for your fantastic review following your stay. The hotel bedrooms have undergone a refurbishment over the past 12 months and I am delighted that your room exceeded your expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Mark O’Reilly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Me and my other half went here to visit Hastings! Great little get away not to far from the town! We were given a newspaper in the morning and breakfast was delicious. The building is pretty impressive, there was a wedding while we were there but you didn't really hear the noise. Xx

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Missbear86
Dear Missbear 86

Many thanks for your review following your return visit to the Bannatyne Spa Hotel. I am delighted that you once again had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

A great value spa and weekend get-away. Staff very friendly and attentive.
The hotel is set in nice grounds with an imposing entrance and drive up to the gravel drive. The rooms have a contemporary feel with quality furnishings and modern bathrooms. Small details like an iPod sound docking station and spoons missing from trays plus no spa slippers in the room let it down.

Which while not big things, left you thinking to yourself this is why its perhaps a value spa and not something that is perhaps worth an extra £X.X more. The SPA is a very modern building with the pool and gym being excellent. The outside hot tubs were great but I would have welcomed some staff being on hand to serve drinks.

All small details but it could be so much better with some thought.

The restaurant in the conservatory was very good, dinner and breakfast excellent. Worth paying a supplement for Steak, nicely executed with great service again.

Overall great value, which I would have been happy to pay a bit more for the smaller details. It’s the details that make the difference after all.

Note: Visit Battle town, great shops, tea rooms and pub. Battle Abbey is a must; the heritage site has a great tour where you can wonder at the origins and beginning of pure English history. A must for any overseas visitor or child wondering what 1066 was all about:-)

Room Tip: Ask for a large one...simples...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Spa Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Darren B

I am delighted that you found your recent stay to be a great value spa getaway and that the team here at the Bannatyne Spa Hotel Hastings were friendly and attentive.
I would like to apologise for the missing tea spoons and slippers in your room as these should have been present prior to your arrival. I have also noted your suggestions regarding a docking station and will be sure to discuss this with my senior management team.

My head chef has asked me to thank you for the kind comments regarding your meal experiences throughout your stay.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed for one night and had an Executive Twin Room - rather small and dark. We found the bathroom basin tap was very loose and also the shower temperature was tepid, not very good for November, maybe acceptable on a hot day! There was also a missing light bulb in a standard lamp and only one hand towel. Lumpy foam pillows. Trivial stuff but not really acceptable for a room of this price which was £130. I'm sure Duncan would not be impressed!

We had dinner at another location so can't comment on the evening meal situation, but tasty breakfast and as much as you want. Our waitress Josephine was exceptionally jolly and helpful.

The poor room experience was mitigated by a reduction in the bill at check-out but these are small things that housekeeping needs to check and rectify before new guests come in. I would return but would probably pay out for a better room. Maybe that's what they intend all along!

Room Tip: Worth paying a bit more for a decent room.
Dear SueB_8

Many thanks for your review following your recent visit to Hastings. I am sorry that your room had some snags which I can happily report have all been addressed.

I am happy that the matter was handled by my management team and I would like to assure you that it is our intention for all of our bedrooms (regardless of category) to offer excellent value for money.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in future.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I spent two nights at this hotel with my partner, as a romantic couples break.

We chose the Grand Deluxe Twin/Double room, which is described online as 'Luxury at the highest standard'. When we arrived we found that this was not the case. The first negitive point was finding a used sanitary towel in the lift on the way to our room with our bags. When we entered the room, we found the following points unsatisfactory:
- Bathroom not clean
- Not a double bed (two singles pushed together)
- No mattress protector on bed, only a simi transparent sheet
- Room in need of redecorating (skirting boards chipped and tatty, carpet stained and dirty etc)
We felt that the above, and the unpleasant descovery in the lift, was rather contradictory to the description 'Luxury at the highest standard'.

We brought this to the attendion of the manager on shift. She was very nice and also very professional. We were moved to one of the hotels 'Superior' rooms. This room was clean and had a double bed so we were very happy.

Our second complaint was with the restaurant. We ordered the Baked Camembert with garlic and rosemary. If the camembert that arrived had been baked, it was certainly a long time before it arrived at our table. It was hard and cold. We asked to have it heated up, and as a result it was taken away from our table, microwaved, and returned to us hot. It did not have any rosemary.
Further to this issue with the restaurant, dont bother with the Souffle Pancakes for breakfast.

Inspite of what I have said above, we did have a very enjoyable stay at this hotel. The staff were very friendly and professional. The bar area and conservatory restaurant had a very nice and relaxing atmosphere. The room we were moved to was lovely with nice bath robes and slippers.

Room Tip: If you're not going to pay for the Superior room, don't go.
1 Thank cranfj
Dear cranfj

Many thanks for the feedback received following your recent visit to the Bannatyne Spa Hotel Hastings. I understand you spoke with my Duty Manager during your stay and I am delighted that she took immediate action to rectify the shortfalls experienced.

Please accept my apologies for the unpleasant discovery in the lift. This had fallen from a refuse bag and had been spotted before it could be removed. I would like to assure you that this is not typical of our usual high standards of cleanliness.

The two single beds pushed together which you have referred to is in fact designed to be a double bed which seperates. When together the bases are secured and mattresses attached to each other. This type of bed is extremely common and found in most spa hotels.

We do have an ongoing refurbishment program at the hotel and this room has since received attention in the areas highlighted in your review.

I was also disappointed to read your comments regarding your meals whilst at the hotel. I have discussed these comments with my chef and he is sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meals.

I am delighted that despite the issues encountered, you still had a very enjoyable stay and I do hope this will not deter you from returning in the future.

London
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I booked this hotel for a birthday weekend at the last minute over the Bank Holiday. To be honest, I was slightly put off by the fact it was a chain and only chose it because there was not much availability in the area. What a surprise! It's a really lovely hotel where someone has clearly thought carefully about all the details. Rooms are spacious, well-decorated with comfy beds and lovely big towels. Nice toiletries too as you would expect from a spa hotel. The spa itself is nice enough - a very short walk from the hotel, no big deal. We thought the restaurant was nice - food was pleasant enough, not brilliant, but fine. Decent little bar too. The staff were lovely though - charming and attentive. Breakfast is great - ours was included but even at the price we thought it was great value. Best of all are the grounds - lovely gardens with comfy daybeds to zone out on all afternoon. We had a cream tea and then passed out in the sunshine - lovely! A short taxi ride from Battle or Hastings so perfect for a weekend away even if you don't have a car.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Marie19a

Many thanks for your review following your recent stay and I am delighted that your last minute bank holiday getaway was a pleasant surprise.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future when weather permitting you may get the opportunity to relax in the beautiful gardens.

bexhill
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I took my friend there for lunch who had recently been unwell. It was very nice. Food was lovely, and the service was excellent. I can't remember the waitresses name, but she had short dark hair. She was lovely, really friendly. She let us eat our afters outside, as it got rather warm in the conservatory, so another table was laid! I would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear mrsbucketBexhill

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit to our Conservatory Restaurant and found the food to be lovely and service excellent.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Mark O’Reilly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Zanzibar International Hotel Hastings
Claverton Country House Hotel
Lansdowne
Lansdowne
#8 of 11 in Hastings

Been to Bannatyne Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!